Let's talk defense vs FSU

Advertisement
Board is drowning in QB/offense talk. What does Guidry & Co. have to do to keep this game close?

1. Hope Wilson doesn't play as he appears to actually be a better WR than Coleman from targets to completion percentage POV.
2. Hope that Porter is close to 100%.
3. Stop the counter = stop the run.
4. Contain and hit Jordan as much as humanly possible.
5. Score points off turnovers because our O is limited.

Keep Travis in the pocket but do not give him all day. Do not break contain
Communicate on the back end. I don't know if we should play a bunch of man coverage this game
Find Bell
Tackle, Tackle, Tackle
Find the RB's out the backfield

Advertisement
Going to need Bain and LT to play the games of their life and get all types of pressure.

Might need a LB or JW to play some spy.

Idk what to even do at CB especially if the starters out. At that point pray the whole DL can cause so much havoc.. it helps the CBs

The size difference between our corners and their primary pass catchers is a big factor for FSU. Need our safeties to help a LOT. That will put a major stress on the linebackers to keep Travis in the pocket and the front four needs generate pressure.

Just got to man up in this game. Got to start throwing punches and keep mistakes to an absolutely minimum.

See UNC laying 41 on this defense and imagine them having a solid OL and us not being able to move the ball on offense to keep them off the field and that is what you'll see Saturday

A splattering. Anyone thinking anything else happens is delusional unless 2021 or week 1-4 of this year's version of TVD shows up. If not, the defense will be gassed and quit.

Advertisement
Sneak a 12th defender into our secondary.

Seriously, this will be the ultimate smoke and mirrors.

Although I think UNC presented a greater challenge, FSU will have similar advantages.
You’re a safety. Maybe I’m off base here but Kam and JW gotta be disciplined as **** when Travis starts to move around. He will kill us if those guys get trigger happy

• Spy Travis all game. Don't let his legs beat you.
  • Send pressure off the blind side like we did early in the season.
  • Play a cover 2 shell on the back end, don't let Wilson or Coleman beat you deep.
  • Be aggressive on passing downs, bring 1 more than they can block.

Do what the teams who have slowed them down have done: don't let their backs get off. They have been very inefficient running the ball this year. Much worse than last year. They are averaging a healthy YPC because they have had a ton of big runs, but the runs that are not 60+ have been much less successful than what they did last year.

Keep doing what we're doing and make them keep doing what they've been doing, is limiting the run game with the backs. Travis is running much less this year, it's been the backs on the ground and Travis throwing downfield.

He's been pressured a lot when teams blitz him. Problem is, he's excellent and recognizing pressure and avoiding it. We have to get DBs and LBs that can actually get to him and get him on the ground. He's only thrown 2 picks this year and has taken very few sacks. Our only chance is to keep them behind the sticks on early downs and hopefully get off the field when keeping them in 3rd and medium to long. But it all starts with limiting the backs. It's what Clemson did to them...they ran for 22 yards in the Clemson game. If we keep their 3 backs under 100, we have a very good shot to hold them under 25 points and have a shot to win.

Front 4 has to get pressure without having to blitz a ton. Timely blitzes here and there are great but man we will need someone in that front 4 to have a "Rousseau in 2019" level game. Which I know is alot to ask. And our safeties will have to play the game of their lives. I know most people on here dont think Kam is a "true" AA level player but this is the type of game that he can kill those takes.

Usually most would say, "Hang around long enough to steal it late in the game" theory but I dont even know if I trust TVD to steal a late win even if our defense plays the game of the decade.

Advertisement
-Suit up Jason Taylor
-Keep Travis in front of us; don't over rush him
-Keep Bain in until he taps his helmet
-Assign JW as the QB spy
-Press man on Coleman (with Davis/Browns) and keep Kam over the top
-Blitz by LBs through gaps near Bain to create 1:1 situations

Last edited:
1. Hope Wilson doesn't play as he appears to actually be a better WR than Coleman from targets to completion percentage POV.
2. Hope that Porter is close to 100%.
3. Stop the counter = stop the run.
4. Contain and hit Jordan as much as humanly possible.
5. Score points off turnovers because our O is limited.
f*ck no on the bolded. He is slow and hands are shaky.

Coleman is a complete problem....there is a reason 1 was in the transfer portal for other reasons and 1 got paid to go in.

I would say slow down their run game. Im already expecting Jordan Travis to get his....but cant be getting gashed for 8 yds on first down etc everything on Norvell is based off of running it for real.

Advertisement
Jordan Travis is a 🐈. If he gets hit, he makes mistakes. He falls apart quickly. Get after him early and be unrelenting.

f*ck no on the bolded. He is slow and hands are shaky.

Coleman is a complete problem....there is a reason 1 was in the transfer portal for other reasons and 1 got paid to go in.

I would say slow down their run game. Im already expecting Jordan Travis to get his....but cant be getting gashed for 8 yds on first down etc everything on Norvell is based off of running it for real.

I was saying from a pure target to completion percentage, Wilson actually has better numbers than Coleman. Now maybe Coleman is getting doubled a ton. I've only watched some of the FSU games.

Coleman is the better WR. 100% but for some reason, he doesn't catch a high percentage of his targets.

begins and ends with Travis...you stop him, you stop the Noles
that said - thinkin they might hang 50 on us sadly

You’re a safety. Maybe I’m off base here but Kam and JW gotta be disciplined as **** when Travis starts to move around. He will kill us if those guys get trigger happy
They both have to be disciplined, but if FSU is smart, they'll have 1 on 1 matchups that'll keep me on the edge of my seat either way. Maybe one of the Browns surprises us. Who knows.

Advertisement
Back