Let's talk closing and 2018 #s

ghost2

Retired staff
Premium
Let's assume we take 28 in this class for a moment. Let's further assume we close with:

McFarland
Dean
Thomas
Harley
Smith/Pouncey
Edwards/Henderson
Herbert/Bateman
Glen Logan (post-NSD)

One final assumption - let's say we have 20 scholarships available in 2018 (give or take.)

With all of that assuming (making asses of us all) I'd like to see us land:

1 QB
1 RB
3 WR
2 TE
3 OL
4 DL (2-3 DTs)
2 LB
4 DB

Thoughts?

Advertisement
Let's assume we take 28 in this class for a moment. Let's further assume we close with:

McFarland
Dean
Thomas
Harley
Smith/Pouncey
Edwards/Henderson
Herbert/Bateman
Glen Logan (post-NSD)

One final assumption - let's say we have 20 scholarships available in 2018 (give or take.)

With all of that assuming (making asses of us all) I'd like to see us land:

1 QB
1 RB
3 WR
2 TE
3 OL
4 DL (2-3 DTs)
2 LB
4 DB

Thoughts?

Looks about right but injuries, early draft entries and a suspension or two will come into play a year from now and throw those numbers off.

Advertisement
Guys like Henley will not see the field... We will have a lot of attrition so there should be a lot more ships open... The 18 class is loaded... I want them all especially at DB... I'd love to land at least 5 CB's.

I'm not sure. Seniors next year:

Badgley
Berrios
Darling
Gray
Trent Harris
Herndon
C. Jenkins
Linder
McDermott
Moten
Odogwu
Chad Thomas

Unless I'm missing somebody that's 12. Gray and Jenkins might be gone regardless. Maybe a couple guys declare early, and of course there's always attrition but with 12 as a base # I think it's gonna be hard to get over 20 in 2018, IMO.

1 QB
1 RB Maybe only 1 if we land a Lingard/Cook. I could see taking 2 if Walton has a good season (NLF aspirations)
2 WR Bluechippers only
2 TE
3 OL I think we'll have a lot of OL attrition this offseason. Could see this being 4-5
4 DL (2-3 DTs)
2 LB
4 DB I'm not sure if we can afford to only take 4DB's in this star studded class. Something tells me we'll load up here and sacrifice elsewhere.

That said, let's assume again that I'm dead wrong (always a fair assumption) and we have 25 to give for 2018. If that's the case, I'd like to see:

1 QB
2 RB
2 TE
4 WR
4 OL
5 DL (3 DT)
2 LB
5 DB

Advertisement
4 DBs in 2018? There is 4 commited now. You are going to see 7-9 Dbs in 18. At least 4 wr, 3 o-linemen, 2 te, 3 dts, 1 rb, 2 LBs, 2 DEs, 1 qb.

The only note is that the Coaches will take anyone from this DB class that wants in. Too many elite guys to let anyone leave SFL.

Off the top of my head we have Jobe, Frierson, Ivey, and Al Blades jr. already in the class. Then you got guys like Gurvan Hall, Asante Samuel, Surtain, Campbell, and others. This class might be one of the deepest DB classes I have seen and it's very important to stack chips. Especially considering how thin we are in Elite DB talent for 2017.

I could see 6-7 DBs in the class if we take #s from OL and WR (not out of the question.) 9 would mean we'd have another 25+ signing class which I think will be difficult.

I could see 6-7 DBs in the class if we take #s from OL and WR (not out of the question.) 9 would mean we'd have another 25+ signing class which I think will be difficult.

Probaby not 9 but i think it will be 7 or 8. 4-5 cb and 3 safties.

Advertisement

Badgley
Berrios
Darling
Gray
Trent Harris
Herndon
C. Jenkins
Linder
McDermott
Moten
Odogwu
Chad Thomas

Unless I'm missing somebody that's 12. Gray and Jenkins might be gone regardless. Maybe a couple guys declare early, and of course there's always attrition but with 12 as a base # I think it's gonna be hard to get over 20 in 2018, IMO.

You have to take into account guys likely transferring. Langham, jones, mayes probably wont be around much longer. Walton and willis are gone after next year.

So let's agree on 7 lol - inform the coaches! =)

Also, I REALLY want us to sign at least 4 OL in 2018, especially if we strike out on Herbert. We took ONE last year and it looks like we'll end up with 4 this year. We'll be graduating four starters/two-deep players on the OL next year in Darling, Linder, McDermott, and Odogwu. Maybe not a world-beating OL but that's our 4 most experienced guys out the door.

So if 25 is the number, what about:

1 QB
2 RB
2 TE
3 WR
4 OL
4 DL (3 DTs)
2 LB
7 DB

Badgley
Berrios
Darling
Gray
Trent Harris
Herndon
C. Jenkins
Linder
McDermott
Moten
Odogwu
Chad Thomas

You have to take into account guys likely transferring. Langham, jones, mayes probably wont be around much longer. Walton and willis are gone after next year.

I get attrition and transfers, I do, but with 12 seniors you think there's enough dead-weight/NFL early entrants to get to a full 25 class? That's 13 more guys on the current roster that would have to leave. Not sure how EEs fit into that number but that's still a lot of bodies.

Advertisement

Badgley
Berrios
Darling
Gray
Trent Harris
Herndon
C. Jenkins
Linder
McDermott
Moten
Odogwu
Chad Thomas

I get attrition and transfers, I do, but with 12 seniors you think there's enough dead-weight/NFL early entrants to get to a full 25 class? That's 13 more guys on the current roster that would have to leave. Not sure how EEs fit into that number but that's still a lot of bodies.

All that matters is if it fits under the 85 scholarship limit.

Badgley
Berrios
Darling
Gray
Trent Harris
Herndon
C. Jenkins
Linder
McDermott
Moten
Odogwu
Chad Thomas

All that matters is if it fits under the 85 scholarship limit.

I think the 25 # per year is also a hard-and-fast rule. (Factoring in EEs, etc.) That's when you get into all the weird stuff like "counters" and who counts for which year, etc. etc.

Advertisement
Back