Let's talk closing and 2018 #s

So let's agree on 7 lol - inform the coaches! =)

Also, I REALLY want us to sign at least 4 OL in 2018, especially if we strike out on Herbert. We took ONE last year and it looks like we'll end up with 4 this year. We'll be graduating four starters/two-deep players on the OL next year in Darling, Linder, McDermott, and Odogwu. Maybe not a world-beating OL but that's our 4 most experienced guys out the door.

So if 25 is the number, what about:

1 QB
2 RB
2 TE
3 WR
4 OL
4 DL (3 DTs)
2 LB
7 DB

Yea I think this is closer to how it pans out too. Load up on the great DB's available in '18 and you gotta get OL and DL. I'd love to see us get Lingard/Cook & Cam Davis for the RB pull!

Advertisement
We're not starting with 85 this coming season, more like 80-82. So while I don't think we can find space for 25, we could get to 22-23. At 23, I would take:

1 QB
2 RB
1 TE
3 WR
3 OL
4 DL (3 DTs)
2-3 LB
6-7 DB

Advertisement
I'd like to see more than one TE in the class if possible since we only took Polendy this year. I spose that will depend on the development of Irvin and Haskins.

If we had 80 on scholly (I don't know that we do, I don't have the numbers but just for the sake of argument):

Let's say we're losing Kaaya, Yearby, Edwards, Gray, Williams, Coley, Lewis, Njoku, Dobard, Isidora, Gall, Knighton, Loftus, C. Jenkins, Elder, Colbert, R. Jenkins, Carter, Mayes, Henley, and Vogel - that's 21 guys taking us down to 59 scholarship players. (Let me know if I miss somebody.)

That would give us 85-59 = 26 open spots on the 2017 roster. So no matter what, we would have to enroll 26 guys in 2017 to stay at 85 or below...right?

Again, I'm not sure we have 80 on scholarship right now, it might actually be less, but either way, that's the process, yes?

given your list of 20 kids departing the team(not including loftus, as he wasnt included in the 74 current count). we would have 31 open spots under the 85 limit to add to our roster before fall 2017. and more kids may leave before then.

if my individual class numbers are correct, we would actually then be limited to only signing 28 for this class(including EE's, juco's, & transfers.), due to the yearly 25 limit

we will see.

im bringing this in here from your other thread. [MENTION=1290]ZoCane[/MENTION] claimed he kept track of our numbers pretty closely.

where are we at right now? i know that gus has officially left. choc, c. jenkins, mayes, henley are still around, right? any others?..im not sure on the oline guys

Advertisement
Since I last posted, the only guy to officially leave is Gus Edwards. That brings us to 58 currently on scholarship, 27 total open scholarships. This does not include any of the guys that have enrolled early.

Guys like Henley, Gray, Jenkins, etc remain on my roster until they are officially announced to have left. So, assuming there are more guys to leave, that 27 number will increase (I think likely to get into the 30s).

Most have mentioned an over/under of 28 for number of guys we sign next Wed and I think that will be about right. Would likely leave a few spots open for guys to transfer in (Richt mentioned wanting to save a few spots).

Last edited:
Since I last posted, the only guy to officially leave is Gus Edwards. That brings us to 58 currently on scholarship, 27 total open scholarships. This does not include any of the guys that have enrolled early.

Guys like Henley, Gray, Jenkins, etc remain on my roster until they are officially announced to have left. So, assuming there are more guys to leave, that 27 number will increase (I think likely to get into the 30s).

Most have mentioned an over/under of 28 for number of guys we sign next Wed and I think that will be about right. Would likely leave a few spots open for guys to transfer in (Richt mentioned wanting to save a few spots).

awesome stuff. so 58 coming back. 12 of which are seniors. lets assume we bring in 24 in this year, and we'd be at 82.

so for the 2018 class, for every non-senior to be(that 12 number) that leaves the program between now and the fall of 2018, we'll be able to add one more kid to the 2018 recruiting class. As of today...if only the seniors left the program, no one else transfers or leaves early for the NFL.. we are able to bring in a '18 class of 15 kids.

Last edited:
Advertisement

awesome stuff. so 58 coming back. 13 of which are seniors. lets assume we bring in 27 in this year, and we'd be at 85.

so for the 2018 class, for every non-senior to be(that 13 number) that leaves the program between now and the fall of 2018, we'll be able to add one more kid to the 2018 recruiting class. As of today...if only the seniors left the program, no one else transfers or leaves early for the NFL.. we are able to bring in a '18 class of 13 kids.

Exactly. And again, I get attrition, guys getting shown the door etc, but we'd need a full DOZEN more kids to leave the program this year to get to a 2018 class of 25. I just don't see that (yet.)

If you go over the roster we will easily have room for 25 maybe as much as 27. Still lots of dead weight on the roster. As we upgrade positions, the dead weight will be pushed out.

awesome stuff. so 58 coming back. 12 of which are seniors. lets assume we bring in 24 in this year, and we'd be at 82.

so for the 2018 class, for every non-senior to be(that 12 number) that leaves the program between now and the fall of 2018, we'll be able to add one more kid to the 2018 recruiting class. As of today...if only the seniors left the program, no one else transfers or leaves early for the NFL.. we are able to bring in a '18 class of 15 kids.

Exactly. And again, I get attrition, guys getting shown the door etc, but we'd need a full DOZEN more kids to leave the program this year to get to a 2018 class of 25. I just don't see that (yet.)

im with you. just wanted to show the guys that are claiming easily a class of 25, how many current underclassmen players we'd have to lose in order for that to happen.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Signing 25 isn't out of the realm of possibility. Let's assume we sign 27 next Wed. Gets us to 85 assuming no other attrition yet.

By my count, we have 12 Srs: Berrios, Herndon, Odogwu, McDermott, J. Jones, Linder, Darling, Jenkins, Moten, Thomas, Harris, Badgeley (Owen will be a Redshirt Jr). That gets us to 73

Through some combo of additional transfers and guys leaving early, we could lose 13 more guys between now an next signing day.

Guys who could leave early: Willis, Norton, McIntosh are all serious candidates. Maybe even Walton if he has a big year?

Guys I could see transferring/eased out the door: Rosier, Shirreffs, Gray, Langham, Milo, Mahoney, McCray, Henley

Also, every year, there are a few guys we didn't expect that end up leaving. Could be several of the freshmen this year who got suspended for rules violations if they don't get bac on track.

Anyways, I bet that, for the 2018 class, we'll sign >20, and 25 is possible.

Let's assume we take 28 in this class for a moment. Let's further assume we close with:

McFarland
Dean
Thomas
Harley
Smith/Pouncey
Edwards/Henderson
Herbert/Bateman
Glen Logan (post-NSD)

One final assumption - let's say we have 20 scholarships available in 2018 (give or take.)

With all of that assuming (making asses of us all) I'd like to see us land:

1 QB
1 RB
3 WR
2 TE
3 OL
4 DL (2-3 DTs)
2 LB
4 DB

Thoughts?

Closing: McFarland, Dean, Thomas, Harley, Edwards(??) more likely.

Gravy on top: Henderson, Herbert and/or Bateman

Surprises on NSD according to Bandy. I'm not going to discount what he says, but it is also something that makes me even more positive and excited about this class.

Advertisement
Back