Let's talk closing and 2018 #s

Signing 25 isn't out of the realm of possibility. Let's assume we sign 27 next Wed. Gets us to 85 assuming no other attrition yet.

By my count, we have 12 Srs: Berrios, Herndon, Odogwu, McDermott, J. Jones, Linder, Darling, Jenkins, Moten, Thomas, Harris, Badgeley (Owen will be a Redshirt Jr). That gets us to 73

Through some combo of additional transfers and guys leaving early, we could lose 13 more guys between now an next signing day.

Guys who could leave early: Willis, Norton, McIntosh are all serious candidates. Maybe even Walton if he has a big year?

Guys I could see transferring/eased out the door: Rosier, Shirreffs, Gray, Langham, Milo, Mahoney, McCray, Henley

Also, every year, there are a few guys we didn't expect that end up leaving. Could be several of the freshmen this year who got suspended for rules violations if they don't get bac on track.

Anyways, I bet that, for the 2018 class, we'll sign >20, and 25 is possible.

good catch on owens.

and i also agree we'll get up over 20. but it will take losing some good players in one way or another in order for us to get there.

Advertisement
Since I last posted, the only guy to officially leave is Gus Edwards. That brings us to 58 currently on scholarship, 27 total open scholarships. This does not include any of the guys that have enrolled early.

Guys like Henley, Gray, Jenkins, etc remain on my roster until they are officially announced to have left. So, assuming there are more guys to leave, that 27 number will increase (I think likely to get into the 30s).

Most have mentioned an over/under of 28 for number of guys we sign next Wed and I think that will be about right. Would likely leave a few spots open for guys to transfer in (Richt mentioned wanting to save a few spots).

wrong year.

If one of the frosh win the QB battle (Weldon) I think Jack and Rosier are gone. Walton Willis Mckintosh? Norton likely goes pro after a big season. Langham and Harris transfer after being jumped in the depth chart Perry III transfers also and 2-3 of the DBs move on also

Add a kicker for the 2018 class - maybe the one we recently offered....

Let's assume we take 28 in this class for a moment. Let's further assume we close with:

McFarland
Dean
Thomas
Harley
Smith/Pouncey
Edwards/Henderson
Herbert/Bateman
Glen Logan (post-NSD)

One final assumption - let's say we have 20 scholarships available in 2018 (give or take.)

With all of that assuming (making asses of us all) I'd like to see us land:

1 QB
1 RB
3 WR
2 TE
3 OL
4 DL (2-3 DTs)
2 LB
4 DB

Thoughts?

Advertisement
Players that will be pushed out once talent gets upgraded or regardless.
QB- 1 of them will be gone, at least one
RB-0
WR-2, if we land the class we think we land, both Langham and Dayall Harris will be gone by then
TE-0, although some worries about Haskins possibly getting kicked out for behavioral reasons.
OL-2 at least, lots of dead weight here.

DL-1, there is zero doubt Willis is gonna jump to the NFL next year. Might lose another but at least him.
LB-1, McCray won't be here
DB-3, Knowles, Mayes and Jackson don't belong here.

That right there is 10 plus the 13 seniors. That's not including the possibilities of any unwanted losses through discipline or Walton leaving for the draft.

RB-0
WR-2, if we land the class we think we land, both Langham and Dayall Harris will be gone by then
TE-0, although some worries about Haskins possibly getting kicked out for behavioral reasons.

DL-1, there is zero doubt Willis is gonna jump to the NFL next year. Might lose another but at least him.

That right there is 10 plus the 13 seniors. That's not including the possibilities of any unwanted losses through discipline or Walton leaving for the draft.

Fair enough. I actually hope we don't lose 2 more OL on top of the 4 that are graduating. Dead weight or not, it'd be really tough to lose 6 OL in a year just from a depth perspective, especially since we'll have only signed 5-6 OL total in the last 2 years.

RB-0

Fair enough. I actually hope we don't lose 2 more OL on top of the 4 that are graduating. Dead weight or not, it'd be really tough to lose 6 OL in a year just from a depth perspective, especially since we'll have only signed 5-6 OL total in the last 2 years.

It's obvious we will need to JUCO for a couple of kids at OL. Ultimately I agree but a bunch of kids on the roster there are such dead weight that even an incoming freshman is better. Now hopefully a couple step up and are serviceable but as of right now, they aren't even that.

Agree wholeheartedly on JUCO OL. We're gonna need a stop-gap in 2018 until some of these kids grow into their bodies.

Advertisement
RB-0

It's obvious we will need to JUCO for a couple of kids at OL. Ultimately I agree but a bunch of kids on the roster there are such dead weight that even an incoming freshman is better. Now hopefully a couple step up and are serviceable but as of right now, they aren't even that.

Just asking.. what happened to Milo no one EVER mentions him wasn't he highly rated and regarded I don't even see him on the depth chart

RB-0

Just asking.. what happened to Milo no one EVER mentions him wasn't he highly rated and regarded I don't even see him on the depth chart

Soft as baby ****

I think we need 5 OL. We lose Darling, McDermott, Linder, Odogwu + attrition.

Is it realistic to think we'll be able to sign 7 DBs?

It would be nice considering all of the top end talent. I just hope we don't get into the same situation as a few years back when we had three
4 star RB's committed most of the year then everyone flaked thinking there isn't enough room for everyone to play.

Since I last posted, the only guy to officially leave is Gus Edwards. That brings us to 58 currently on scholarship, 27 total open scholarships. This does not include any of the guys that have enrolled early.

Guys like Henley, Gray, Jenkins, etc remain on my roster until they are officially announced to have left. So, assuming there are more guys to leave, that 27 number will increase (I think likely to get into the 30s).

Most have mentioned an over/under of 28 for number of guys we sign next Wed and I think that will be about right. Would likely leave a few spots open for guys to transfer in (Richt mentioned wanting to save a few spots).

awesome stuff. so 58 coming back. 12 of which are seniors. lets assume we bring in 24 in this year, and we'd be at 82.

so for the 2018 class, for every non-senior to be(that 12 number) that leaves the program between now and the fall of 2018, we'll be able to add one more kid to the 2018 recruiting class. As of today...if only the seniors left the program, no one else transfers or leaves early for the NFL.. we are able to bring in a '18 class of 15 kids.

Exactly. And again, I get attrition, guys getting shown the door etc, but we'd need a full DOZEN more kids to leave the program this year to get to a 2018 class of 25. I just don't see that (yet.)

alright fellas, as of now it looks like we are bringing in 24 kids. which puts us at a class of 15 for 2018(and counting).

lets use this thread and update the original post to keep the count accurate throughout the year?

Last edited:
Advertisement

awesome stuff. so 58 coming back. 12 of which are seniors. lets assume we bring in 24 in this year, and we'd be at 82.

so for the 2018 class, for every non-senior to be(that 12 number) that leaves the program between now and the fall of 2018, we'll be able to add one more kid to the 2018 recruiting class. As of today...if only the seniors left the program, no one else transfers or leaves early for the NFL.. we are able to bring in a '18 class of 15 kids.

Exactly. And again, I get attrition, guys getting shown the door etc, but we'd need a full DOZEN more kids to leave the program this year to get to a 2018 class of 25. I just don't see that (yet.)

alright fellas, as of now it looks like we are bringing in 24 kids. which puts us at a class of 15 for 2018(and counting).

lets use this thread and update the original post to keep the count accurate throughout the year?

Ok I'm game. I'm gonna say we lose 5-6 off the current roster to transfer/booted/drafted early etc. aside from the normal graduating seniors. Seems about the avg the past few years. So that brings it from 15 to 20-21. Think Walton will have an opportunity to go pro and one or two of our DTs.

1 QB
2 RB
2 WR
2 TE
3 OL
4 DL (2-3 DTs)
2 LB
4 DB

Ok I'm game. I'm gonna say we lose 5-6 off the current roster to transfer/booted/drafted early etc. aside from the normal graduating seniors. Seems about the avg the past few years. So that brings it from 15 to 20-21. Think Walton will have an opportunity to go pro and one or two of our DTs.

1 QB
2 RB
2 WR
2 TE
3 OL
4 DL (2-3 DTs)
2 LB
4 DB

only 2 WR's & 4 DBs is gonna be tough considering all the talent available down here. i think you can count on a few more guys leaving early in some fashion & give yourself 3-4 more spots

c. jenkins got das boot.

puts us at 67 players currently(EE's included) + 14 set to enroll = 81 total (11 seniors)

still at a 2018 class size of 15 for now

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back