Off-Topic Lets see some summer fish shots

Having grown up there and fishing the waters surrounding the island it was something I took for granted.Then moving to Louisiana where most fishing is freshwater it was a letdown.I mean people are jumping up and down catching fish I used as bait.lol
That happened to me in Wakulla cast netting mullet for bait. Some dude asked me if I was going to eat them. I completely understand.

Advertisement
That happened to me in Wakulla cast netting mullet for bait. Some dude asked me if I was going to eat them. I completely understand.
Back in the day in Cape Coral, smoked mullet was a common dining experience. I preferred it to catfish, but rarely got it as my father loved that vile catfish and didn't know how to smoke them.

I was here about a year or so and a guy asked me the same thing.First thing I did was look at him like he was crazy and then threw out a quick NO !

But a lot of people around here love it...not me..

Back in the day in Cape Coral, smoked mullet was a common dining experience. I preferred it to catfish, but rarely got it as my father loved that vile catfish and didn't know how to smoke them.
I hear you as you go north up the Gulf coast its a delicacy. It was always bait to me until then...

I was here about a year or so and a guy asked me the same thing.First thing I did was look at him like he was crazy and then threw out a quick NO !

But a lot of people around here love it...not me..
I chop that Mullet to fish me a mangrove snapper...

Advertisement
youuuu are mistaken there bud. I am third generation commercial fisherman. I’ve caught more on one trip than you have in a year. No disrespect meant yougrew Up in restaurants you have more experience there than me but to say you have slayed more is false. I sell fish to restaurants like yours..... and your competitors down the road.
Can you sell snook to a restaurant? When I fished for snook as a teenager, state law did not permit commercial fishing of snook. Most people would never get the chance to try this excellent fish.

Advertisement
From what I have personally caught it would go as follows.

1. Skamp, it’s like eating a fluffy cloud of butter fish
2. Yellow/blue tuna
3. Snapper
4. Mahi
5. Speckled trout
6. Triple tail
7. Amber Jack
8. Redfish
If you’re talking speckled trout are you talking about saltwater trout otherwise known as spotted weakfish? I moved to Cocoa Beach as a late teenager. That area claims to be the Saltwater Trout capital of the world. I believe grass flats attract Saltwater Trout, whereas sand flats attract bonefish.

Am I correct in this?

Can you sell snook to a restaurant? When I fished for snook as a teenager, state law did not permit commercial fishing of snook. Most people would never get the chance to try this excellent fish.

State law (assuming FL) has not changed... no commercial sale or harvest of snook is allowed. They also banned keeping any snook for a healthy minute due to the bad red tide the west coast of FL experienced last year. The ban is still in place from basically hernando down to naples.

As a kid in Cape Coral, eating salt water catfish was commonplace. I hated it. It's a big part of the reason I didn't want to eat fish at all until I was an adult.
I didn’t know anybody ate those....used to catch a lot when I was fishing for something else. Always hated them.....thought they were useless trash. Maybe this was because people were poor and ate what they could.

Advertisement
If you’re talking speckled trout are you talking about saltwater trout otherwise known as spotted weakfish? I moved to Cocoa Beach as a late teenager. That area claims to be the Saltwater Trout capital of the world. I believe grass flats attract Saltwater Trout, whereas sand flats attract bonefish.

Am I correct in this?

Well I catch them in Mobile Bay which is a combination of fresh water out of the rivers that combines with salt water. Not sure what the answer is. I go with a guide so we just catch a ton of them with shrimp.

Advertisement

Am I correct in this?
You're playing with us. You sound like you have good knowledge.

I didn’t know anybody ate those....used to catch a lot when I was fishing for something else. Always hated them.....thought they were useless trash. Maybe this was because people were poor and ate what they could.
They did in Cape Coral in the early 70's.

Am I correct in this?

It's definitely not the capital now. The Indian river from sebastian on north has been decimated by algae blooms. Majority of the grass is dead or on it's last leg. Don't get me wrong it's still good fishing but it's gone downhill severely in the last 15 years. I can only imagine what it was like 30 years ago.

I fished that area at least once a month, won a kayak fishing tourney there 3 years ago.

Advertisement
Back