Off-Topic Lets see some summer fish shots

Advertisement
Soft shells done right...about 3 min a side in canola oil. Bought at a roadside place just off the beach.
20200524_190740.jpg

Yes he was so big he never actually got all the way out of the water. I fought her for about an hour and 20 minutes and my son who is behind me in the pic finished her off for another 20 minutes. One of my life highlights being able to tag team it with my son.

Advertisement
I know I'm not eating jacks when there are good fish out there. lol
I had to go 37 miles just to get into 100 feet of water in what's really just a stretched out flats boat. People up here go out and target spade fish, something I used to push out of the way when spearing hogs down in the keys. Here, you're looking at 60 something miles just to get to 150 feet depth. Hopefully I'll be able to get out far enough to target mahi or something better than an AJ.

Advertisement
Man I’m just getting into fishing. Apart of a boat club and I keep striking out in fresh water. Was on St. John’s River yesterday and only caught a couple catfish and spec. I think I’m going to focus more on salt water. Anyone have any advice?

Advertisement
Man I’m just getting into fishing. Apart of a boat club and I keep striking out in fresh water. Was on St. John’s River yesterday and only caught a couple catfish and spec. I think I’m going to focus more on salt water. Anyone have any advice?

where in St. John’s? It’s kind of a big river. But have to adjust your gear for seasonal fishing. This time of year I would hit the mayport jetties for redfish.Use shrimp on a jighead on an outgoing tide. If you want to get up into the weeds look for little bottlenecks in the river, a slew where water comes through, or a little outshooting shoal. I think they call them mud minnows out there I’d use them as bait with a trailer jig Or use a popping cork and let it drift/free spool.

Advertisement
1. Yes, they are delicious, but have very strict size limits.
2. Amberjack.
Snook are delicious. One of my most disappointing fishing experiences was getting hooked on a monster snook. I was in flamingo and he ran up in mangroves. After about 5 minutes I somehow fought him out and got him to the boat after another 5 min or so. It's mate followed him to the boat and I let him run so my brother could try to catch the mate. Turned out to be a shark about the same size. The line went loose and I pulled in this monster snook head with the gills still moving. Still don't know how I got him out of the mangroves. I'm still ****ed at that shark.

Wish I could be out on the water with you guys, ain't **** to catch up here in SC.

I've hit on a Tarpon from the shore rocks by the lighthouse in Boca Grande Pass when I was in high school. A boat pulled up to help me land him. Was trying to hook a shark like the white dudes were doing by the old phosphate loading dock.

Hey, now that's a feat landing hooking up off the jetty and still landing it. Some great big Hammerheads there during Tarpon Season, when I was guiding I saw one that was easy 16-feet, its dorsal was so big it flopped over, it was at dawn and it was tossing a 100lb tarpon like a cat playing with a canary.

Advertisement
Back