Off-Topic Lets see some summer fish shots

Advertisement
We were using teardrop shaped 3oz and 4oz weights due to the rough shore break and a bit of sweep. Mullet chunks for bait. Blues were crushing the mullet.
Do blues taste good? How are you dealing with them?

Do blues taste good? How are you dealing with them?

Bluefish are delicious...blueish gray meat that turns white when cooked. We bleed them right after catching them and put them on ice. Scale them and fillet. Drop them in the fryer with skin on. Taste like flounder but richer flavor.

Don't remove the hook by inserting your finger in their mouth...very sharp teeth.

AB594665-6ADB-48A2-8CF6-E812534AD6F5.jpeg
EBF8B5F2-5037-474F-9C4E-8641E0D7C13A.jpeg
I also turned this lil crab and a decent red I caught on the pier into this meal!

Advertisement
Bluefish are delicious...blueish gray meat that turns white when cooked. We bleed them right after catching them and put them on ice. Scale them and fillet. Drop them in the fryer with skin on. Taste like flounder but richer flavor.

Don't remove the hook by inserting your finger in their mouth...very sharp teeth.
****, I caught a few good sized ones off the tip of the jetties here in Charleston. I tossed them back because I didn't know any better. lol figures.

We were using teardrop shaped 3oz and 4oz weights due to the rough shore break and a bit of sweep. Mullet chunks for bait. Blues were crushing the mullet.
Nice. It’s been a while for me. Where do you throw the bait, between the breaks? Also what kind of hooks? I’m thinking about taking my kids surf casting and can go anywhere near Emerald Isle/OBX.

Last edited:
Oh wow.. super jealous of that haul. I think that's a lane snapper in the back? I realize it's not profound but I really like yellow tail and grouper!
Mutton Snapper. Just over 20 inches. Did the dolphin charter last Friday in Islamorada and the reef charter Saturday out of Marathon. Had a heckuva feast at Lazy Days Saturday night
0CA4BCEB-B15B-4911-A2D0-6C05B0DAD119.jpeg

Advertisement
I remember catching and eating some small ones that were good. I cut that dark line out.
Are you in NC? The big rock tournament just finished out of Morehead I think. A center console beat out all the sport fishers, even MJ's Catch 23, for biggest blue at like 495 lbs. Reading about it and listening to the radio chatter was pretty cool.

Advertisement
I have a Mako shark story 30 miles off of Boca inlet, had two brand new camera's on board didn't bring a gun or flying gaff that day still didn't get one pic. We were so awestruck we forgot to take a pic. Would have been in every paper in Florida if we could have gotten that one. The story of my life. lol
Had that happen with a whale shark. Caught 20 mahi from under it. Forgot to document the one time sighting...

Advertisement
Nice. It’s been a while for me. Where do you throw the bait, between the breaks? Also what kind of hooks? I’m thinking about taking my kids surf casting and can go anywhere near Emerald Isle/OBX.

Yep, throw out into the breakers on a rising tide if possible. We used circle hooks on a surf fishing bottom rig. Mullet and shrimp for bait, caught a few eating-size whiting using shrimp.

Advertisement
Back