Let's Run The **** Ball Again...

First let me say that I am new to the board... This is my first real post... I'm a life long hurricane fanatic... I've had season tickets for the majority of the last 20 years... I got my 1st BJ in the parking lot of the OB before the '99 Penn st. loss that changed that whole season and the future of UM football forever... I grew up on hurricanes football and I'm **** proud of it... I'm glad I found CiS, I haven't had a board for a couple years since leaving Gary Fartman and Canesport... I follow recruiting and share a few ties to UM football... In short I bleed orange and green... Glad to be part of the board.

Back to the post...

Maybe I'm spoiled from watching stud after stud tote the rock for the U, but I just don't feel like the position is in good hands anymore...
I remember when our team identity was run all over you and create turnovers on defense...
Is it too much to ask for a stable of RB's that is full of future NFL tailbacks... Don't answer that lol
It used to be Stud #1 left to the L... Stud #2 would look back and say "I'm up now, You're next" to Stud #3 ...
Of all the "This is QBU/TEU/WRU/LBU/DBU" talk the most deserving is RBU
I know I don't need to, but I'll reel them off anyways...
In no order... Clinton. Edgerrin. Willis. JJ. Frank....
Or the older guys... Melvin. Otis. Alonzo. McGuire.
Or the younger guys... Coop. Javarris. Lamar. Duke.

I do believe that UM football has turned a corner tho...
We have a good foundation set... In that we hired a proven commodity...
We can recruit the future by using our past... I just hope this regime has the balls to chase the best player not the best fit.
No more watered down rosters with pawns and plugs... It's time to recruit how we used to... Walk into the best players' homes and tell them that they are the only guy you want... The best... not the rest.

Put studs next to studs and tell them that there's only one steak to feed 3 mouths... That's how u breed competition... That's how u find diamonds... That's the UM way.

I'll leave you with this...
Division 1 football has 128 teams...
Miami ranked 115th in rushing offense this year...
Oh wait my mistake that's Miami of Ohio...
Miami of Florida ranked 117th...

Bring back the Backs... And the winning will come...

What a funny coincidence! I gave my first BJ in the OB parking lot before the '99 Penn State game.

Advertisement
First let me say that I am new to the board... This is my first real post... I'm a life long hurricane fanatic... I've had season tickets for the majority of the last 20 years... I got my 1st BJ in the parking lot of the OB before the '99 Penn st. loss that changed that whole season and the future of UM football forever... I grew up on hurricanes football and I'm **** proud of it... I'm glad I found CiS, I haven't had a board for a couple years since leaving Gary Fartman and Canesport... I follow recruiting and share a few ties to UM football... In short I bleed orange and green... Glad to be part of the board.

Back to the post...

Maybe I'm spoiled from watching stud after stud tote the rock for the U, but I just don't feel like the position is in good hands anymore...
I remember when our team identity was run all over you and create turnovers on defense...
Is it too much to ask for a stable of RB's that is full of future NFL tailbacks... Don't answer that lol
It used to be Stud #1 left to the L... Stud #2 would look back and say "I'm up now, You're next" to Stud #3 ...
Of all the "This is QBU/TEU/WRU/LBU/DBU" talk the most deserving is RBU
I know I don't need to, but I'll reel them off anyways...
In no order... Clinton. Edgerrin. Willis. JJ. Frank....
Or the older guys... Melvin. Otis. Alonzo. McGuire.
Or the younger guys... Coop. Javarris. Lamar. Duke.

I do believe that UM football has turned a corner tho...
We have a good foundation set... In that we hired a proven commodity...
We can recruit the future by using our past... I just hope this regime has the balls to chase the best player not the best fit.
No more watered down rosters with pawns and plugs... It's time to recruit how we used to... Walk into the best players' homes and tell them that they are the only guy you want... The best... not the rest.

Put studs next to studs and tell them that there's only one steak to feed 3 mouths... That's how u breed competition... That's how u find diamonds... That's the UM way.

I'll leave you with this...
Division 1 football has 128 teams...
Miami ranked 115th in rushing offense this year...
Oh wait my mistake that's Miami of Ohio...
Miami of Florida ranked 117th...

Bring back the Backs... And the winning will come...

What a funny coincidence! I gave my first BJ in the OB parking lot before the '99 Penn State game.

Lmao!!!😂😂😂😂😂

First let me say that I am new to the board... This is my first real post... I'm a life long hurricane fanatic... I've had season tickets for the majority of the last 20 years... I got my 1st BJ in the parking lot of the OB before the '99 Penn st. loss that changed that whole season and the future of UM football forever.................

.....Bring back the Backs... And the winning will come...

Somebody lock this thread, its done!

Advertisement
I'd love to run the ball. Starts with the oline though moreso than anything. Yearby, Walton, Edwards would be "good enough" if they didn't have to deal with this crap:

EntireThriftyEgret.gif

Seriously - look at this crap Oline....then think about the ****ty OC we have? This guy got a 1000 yards w/ that type of support and dummies a couple post up show up to say he's just average lol. Only Barry Sanders could make this yrs Oline and play calling look good.

Again, I'll say this: Yearby putting up 1k is one of the most impressive thing I've seen based upon the crap job he had in front him. The kid often made something out of nothing. He was eating against WSU and then it became the Walton show.

Just like good defense travels so does a stout running game, we will get that back, Mark Richt didn't win all those games the last 15 years running a spread offense!

I never mentioned Coop and Edge in the same light...

If ur lost, try reading it again, some people need to read things twice...

But what I was basically saying was GO CANES !!!

I've said it previously, but this was the weakest backfield we've had that I can think of in the 30 years of football I've been fortunate enough to see. I'm not sure Homer will elevate it that much and I hope we somehow can get Whaley. Our backs aren't gamechangers and we've been spoiled in that regard.

Advertisement
I'd love to run the ball. Starts with the oline though moreso than anything. Yearby, Walton, Edwards would be "good enough" if they didn't have to deal with this crap:

EntireThriftyEgret.gif

[TWEET]653752550831857665[/TWEET]

God, Alex Gall is SofaKing GARBAGE, that Cincy play was enough for us to leave his *** right there in his hometown! !! If I were Folden, he would've been watching the rest of the game with his family in the stands. But then again, if I were Folden, I also would've had a pulse and a pair of stones...

#1 - We haven't "always" run the ball out of the shotgun formation. We were a Pro-Style (under center) for majority of Golden's tenure. We went to a primary spread attack this season because that's what we have the athletes for.

#2 - If you think this O-line looks bad NOW, wait until you put the QB under center while adding a Fullback and TE into the formation. Now you're gonna get a loaded box from the defense and good freakin' luck running the ball under those circumstances with THIS o-line.

#3 - The ONLY reason we were able to run the ball at all this season is because defenses feared our spread passing attack, thus they had to play 2-high coverage, leaving only 5 or 6 defenders in the box.

You guys wanna see us do what Alabama does when we don't have Alabama type players. There's not one OL, FB or RB on this team that could play for Bama right now.

Advertisement
Good thread.

Would like to have a balanced attack with the ability to run it down the other team's throat as needed. It is fun to watch big plays, but getting the short yardage and moving the sticks wins the games.

#1 - We haven't "always" run the ball out of the shotgun formation. We were a Pro-Style (under center) for majority of Golden's tenure. We went to a primary spread attack this season because that's what we have the athletes for.

#2 - If you think this O-line looks bad NOW, wait until you put the QB under center while adding a Fullback and TE into the formation. Now you're gonna get a loaded box from the defense and good freakin' luck running the ball under those circumstances with THIS o-line.

#3 - The ONLY reason we were able to run the ball at all this season is because defenses feared our spread passing attack, thus they had to play 2-high coverage, leaving only 5 or 6 defenders in the box.

So if they stack the box you pass the ball out of those formations and kill them with your speed. You're bound to get rashawn Scott, njoku, or Coley in a one on one.

When they get burnt they'll slowly unstack the box and you'll run down their throats.

No excuse for nor being under center. Coley just sucks at out smarting a competent DC.

Simple as that.

Advertisement
The OL is horrendous in every facet. I mean they can't even get out of their stance. Slow, fat, terrible bend, horrific leverage, no power.

We've had a "big men" problem for way way way too long.

You guys wanna see us do what Alabama does when we don't have Alabama type players. There's not one OL, FB or RB on this team that could play for Bama right now.

I would pay a lot of money to be a fly on the wall listening to the new coaches evaluate what we have and the gaps that need to be filled.

Absolutely agree on premise a strong run game will enable and augment a strong passing game.

Our Canes can't get the strong run game until they put into place a strong OL unit...and that is at least, I fear, a 3 season project.

Are there any OL DI former players (or pro) on this forum? In your opinion, what makes for a great OL unit?

I've spoken to several (I'm not one obviously) and they've told me the same themes: Tackles need to have great technique and range, guards just need to be downright nasty, and center needs to be stout and smart.

Thoughts?

Advertisement
Back