Let's Run The **** Ball Again...

Dev

Recruit
First let me say that I am new to the board... This is my first real post... I'm a life long hurricane fanatic... I've had season tickets for the majority of the last 20 years... I got my 1st BJ in the parking lot of the OB before the '99 Penn st. loss that changed that whole season and the future of UM football forever... I grew up on hurricanes football and I'm **** proud of it... I'm glad I found CiS, I haven't had a board for a couple years since leaving Gary Fartman and Canesport... I follow recruiting and share a few ties to UM football... In short I bleed orange and green... Glad to be part of the board.

Back to the post...

Maybe I'm spoiled from watching stud after stud tote the rock for the U, but I just don't feel like the position is in good hands anymore...
I remember when our team identity was run all over you and create turnovers on defense...
Is it too much to ask for a stable of RB's that is full of future NFL tailbacks... Don't answer that lol
It used to be Stud #1 left to the L... Stud #2 would look back and say "I'm up now, You're next" to Stud #3 ...
Of all the "This is QBU/TEU/WRU/LBU/DBU" talk the most deserving is RBU
I know I don't need to, but I'll reel them off anyways...
In no order... Clinton. Edgerrin. Willis. JJ. Frank....
Or the older guys... Melvin. Otis. Alonzo. McGuire.
Or the younger guys... Coop. Javarris. Lamar. Duke.

I do believe that UM football has turned a corner tho...
We have a good foundation set... In that we hired a proven commodity...
We can recruit the future by using our past... I just hope this regime has the balls to chase the best player not the best fit.
No more watered down rosters with pawns and plugs... It's time to recruit how we used to... Walk into the best players' homes and tell them that they are the only guy you want... The best... not the rest.

Put studs next to studs and tell them that there's only one steak to feed 3 mouths... That's how u breed competition... That's how u find diamonds... That's the UM way.

I'll leave you with this...
Division 1 football has 128 teams...
Miami ranked 115th in rushing offense this year...
Oh wait my mistake that's Miami of Ohio...
Miami of Florida ranked 117th...

Bring back the Backs... And the winning will come...

Last edited:
Advertisement
The issue isn't our backs. Duke Johnson is a stud. Lamar Miller is a stud. Joe Yearby is very talented.

The issue is a wretched OL and the weakest, slowest, most out of shape big men in the Power-5.

I like your spirit, but the root of the problem is our OL.

CXR6PL0WcAAkOQ7.jpg

When talking about the line, I agree with you 100%, it is and has been the problem. It's a whole other topic that I didn't want to go off on in this post... However when talking about the backs, I just feel like if you know you have a marquee RB in ur backfield then the OLine will play much better because they know their guy is gonna create magic and make them look good regardless... Ask Joaquin Sherko Romberg, all the guys who blocked for our HOF backs, and they will all say, that dude made it easy to go out and be good... Those guys wouldn't have had nfl careers if they hadnt blocked for their respective stud RB...

I named Duke and Lamar... And they both ran behind poorly coached ultra talented offensive lines. Both are prime examples of backs that didn't run guys over or run behind well developed schemes and formations. Duke and Lamar gained their fame at UM by running through the hole as fast as they could and breaking it open... I want linemen pulling and runs developing... I want runs to the outside that actually get past the linebackers and reach the second level. Not just a back earning it on his own by making one cut and running thru a hole cuz he is small and fast.

Yearby, not so much... I usually identify the IT pretty early and I don't see it in him (not that I don't cheer for him) he's just not the stud back I'm talking about here.

It's just my opinion, I sit here and recollect the memories of days past and just beg to have the run game be the strength of this team again... We can agree on that much right fully e richt?

Advertisement
You are always going to have weeks where your passing attack/QB are off their game for whatever reason (ala Dorsey in 01 @ BC, Testaverde in 86 in FB), and having a ground game to rely on is so important. I'd be shocked if we saw any of these Big 12 air raid offenses win a title in the near future. 7 or 8 of the last 10 champions were ground n pound teams if I recall.

When talking about the line, I agree with you 100%, it is and has been the problem. It's a whole other topic that I didn't want to go off on in this post... However when talking about the backs, I just feel like if you know you have a marquee RB in ur backfield then the OLine will play much better because they know their guy is gonna create magic and make them look good regardless... Ask Joaquin Sherko Romberg, all the guys who blocked for our HOF backs, and they will all say, that dude made it easy to go out and be good... Those guys wouldn't have had nfl careers if they hadnt blocked for their respective stud RB...

I named Duke and Lamar... And they both ran behind poorly coached ultra talented offensive lines. Both are prime examples of backs that didn't run guys over or run behind well developed schemes and formations. Duke and Lamar gained their fame at UM by running through the hole as fast as they could and breaking it open... I want linemen pulling and runs developing... I want runs to the outside that actually get past the linebackers and reach the second level. Not just a back earning it on his own by making one cut and running thru a hole cuz he is small and fast.

Yearby, not so much... I usually identify the IT pretty early and I don't see it in him (not that I don't cheer for him) he's just not the stud back I'm talking about here.

It's just my opinion, I sit here and recollect the memories of days past and just beg to have the run game be the strength of this team again... We can agree on that much right fully e richt?

Welcome to the board! I like your style. You bring up a very valid point about the running game. You are right. Our running game isn't up to UM standards. I appreciate the way you described what you want in a running game and you are absolutely correct. Our running game has deteriorated into us getting bailed out by a quick one cut runner hitting the hole as fast as he can.

We no longer have the mindset or the desire to line up and inflict our will on defenses. This all comes from the top. It's been a long time since we ran good schemes with tough physical well coached players. Our current running game is a reflection of our most recent leadership. Incompetent and soft. Having the type of rushing offense you speak of doesn't just happen overnight. It is an identity that is only achieved through hard work and an unrelenting commitment to run the football. Butch Davis brought that element to the program and I am confident that Coach Richt will do the same.

I think it's worth noting that having a tough physical rushing attack doesn't mean your offense has to be of the three yards and a cloud of dust variety. A great UM team will have that type of power game in addition to an efficient and explosive passing attack that utilizes the entire field and spreads the ball out to multiple weapons. I am very excited for the future of our program.

First let me say that I am new to the board... This is my first real post... I'm a life long hurricane fanatic... I've had season tickets for the majority of the last 20 years... I got my 1st BJ in the parking lot of the OB before the '99 Penn st. loss that changed that whole season and the future of UM football forever... I grew up on hurricanes football and I'm **** proud of it... I'm glad I found CiS, I haven't had a board for a couple years since leaving Gary Fartman and Canesport... I follow recruiting and share a few ties to UM football... In short I bleed orange and green... Glad to be part of the board.

Back to the post...

Maybe I'm spoiled from watching stud after stud tote the rock for the U, but I just don't feel like the position is in good hands anymore...
I remember when our team identity was run all over you and create turnovers on defense...
Is it too much to ask for a stable of RB's that is full of future NFL tailbacks... Don't answer that lol
It used to be Stud #1 left to the L... Stud #2 would look back and say "I'm up now, You're next" to Stud #3 ...

We can recruit the future by using our past... I just hope this regime has the balls to chase the best player not the best fit.
No more watered down rosters with pawns and plugs... It's time to recruit how we used to... Walk into the best players' homes and tell them that they are the only guy you want... The best... not the rest.

Put studs next to studs and tell them that there's only one steak to feed 3 mouths... That's how u breed competition... That's how u find diamonds... That's the UM way.

Repped for the BJ line. That's what CIS is all about! Welcome to the board.

All the above are true. Also, our QBs are seldom under center any more. That and fullback has all but disappeared. Even when we have one, he never gets to run the ball. Old team killed you with RB, FB, TE and QB to one of several great WRs. BUT the biggest reason has been stupid coaches.

Advertisement

Back to the post...

Amen to this, I love watching a team like Bama just run the ball down an opponent's throat and there is nothing they can do about it. I want us to get back there, I loathed that bullsh!t 1 back offense we ran this year.

Kid is average, plain and simple

I think kaaya prefers the shotgun and that's why Coley ran so much out of it. No other explanation for why so many **** run plays were out of the gun.

He ran for 1000 yards which is very impressive considering our o line and coaching situation. I'm excited to see what a coach like richt can do with our two great backs with his history of success at the position

I'd love to run the ball. Starts with the oline though moreso than anything. Yearby, Walton, Edwards would be "good enough" if they didn't have to deal with this crap:

EntireThriftyEgret.gif

[TWEET]653752550831857665[/TWEET]

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'd love to run the ball. Starts with the oline though moreso than anything. Yearby, Walton, Edwards would be "good enough" if they didn't have to deal with this crap:

EntireThriftyEgret.gif

Seriously - look at this crap Oline....then think about the ****** OC we have? This guy got a 1000 yards w/ that type of support and dummies a couple post up show up to say he's just average lol. Only Barry Sanders could make this yrs Oline and play calling look good.

117th in the nation in rushing and a season that ended on a halfback pass, which appeared to explode in Yearby's hands like a cherry bomb, thus distilling the previous regime into one exhausting but predictable play.

We have no clue how good this run game could be with either competent usage OR a decent OL. Both? All your dreams come true, fam.

I just want to see Choc on KR. And with 10+ carries a game. Enough of this redshirt torture.

Advertisement
The issue isn't our backs. Duke Johnson is a stud. Lamar Miller is a stud. Joe Yearby is very talented.

The issue is a wretched OL and the weakest, slowest, most out of shape big men in the Power-5.

I like your spirit, but the root of the problem is our OL.

+ what we are asking them to do. If you want road graders then you have to let them act like road graders.

Back to the post...

Thats a helluva BJ to change the course of Miami football...

Miami in it's prime was able to run the football. Jimmy and Butch were notorious for running the ball effectively, then hitting the Defense with the play action. Under Golden/Coley, Miami's Offense had become too predictable and linear. We are always in the shotgun formation and run no misdirection plays.

Advertisement
Back