Let's revisit Sean Spence's place in Miami history.

Larry

All-American
We were having this discussion on the Lounge right before it did a Triple Lindy into a concrete slab...where does Sean Spence rank among linebackers at this University on an All-Time level.

Obviously, the elite, and truly great linebackers are Ray Lewis, Michael Barrow, and Dan Morgan...those players are considered the best to ever lace'em up here at the position. Until Ndamukong Suh's final year at Nebraska, no one in college football had as dominant a season as Dan Morgan's final at Miami. Lewis and Barrow had unrivaled careers at linebacker here.

Then you have the second tier of linebackers like Jonathan Vilma, Darrin Smith, and Maurice Crum.

Then among the masses of other great linebackers at this University...Nate Webster, Jay Brophy, George Mira Jr., Winston Moss, Rod Carter, Jon Beason, Tiger Clark, Randy Shannon, Jesse Armstead, et al...

So, with his career essentially in the books, considering he'll probably make his first All-ACC First Team, will be a finalist for the Butkus Award, among other potential accolades at the end of this season...where, I ask...WHERE, does Sean Spence rank among the greatest of All-Time here at University of Miami?

And, as a bonus question...thoughts on his NFL potential are always welcome.

Discuss.

Advertisement
If only Sean was 6'2 240 his future would be freaking unstoppable. At his size though, I just dont see how he is going to make it in the league. If only he had some support around him, he would be an All American right now.

I'd probably stick him in the third tier, only wish he would of had some doninant DT's, like some of the guys a head of him did.

In between Second tier and the third option . Undersized LB that has a chance to gain weight at the next level? The culture in the big leagues will make him juice up. ha. His career is TBA

Advertisement
Below the first tier, ahead of guys like Beason and Webster. And I think he will be a long-time starter in the pros. Slower Derrick Brooks.

Made a ton of plays, and made them at or behind the LOS.

If only Sean was 6'2 240 his future would be freaking unstoppable. At his size though, I just dont see how he is going to make it in the league. If only he had some support around him, he would be an All American right now.

Eh, get Spence in an NFL weight room and they'll put more weight on him...he's ~225 now at or around 6'0"...which isn't brutal. I can see a team like Indy or Tampa loving a player like Spence. He'll test out well enough, I assume.

Below the first tier, ahead of guys like Beason and Webster. And I think he will be a long-time starter in the pros. Slower Derrick Brooks.

What was Spence timing out in the 40 during spring ball, if you recall? I've always assumed he was a 4.6-4.7 guy, but he covered a lot of it up with his read-n-react ability when he went down hill or attacked a gap, but then I'd see him running sideline to sideline and at times in his career, it looked like he'd be a fraction away from the play and he'd miss tackles S2S.

Eh, get Spence in an NFL weight room and they'll put more weight on him...he's ~225 now at or around 6'0"...which isn't brutal. I can see a team like Indy or Tampa loving a player like Spence. He'll test out well enough, I assume.

Dude doesnt look much more than 215 to me. He's been here long enough to have added to that frame. I just fear he doesnt have the frame to put on enough size.

Advertisement

What was Spence timing out in the 40 during spring ball, if you recall? I've always assumed he was a 4.6-4.7 guy, but he covered a lot of it up with his read-n-react ability when he went down hill or attacked a gap, but then I'd see him running sideline to sideline and at times in his career, it looked like he'd be a fraction away from the play and he'd miss tackles S2S.

I also see Spence as a 4.6-4.7 guy. Probably closer to the 4.7. Aside from the shuttle and maybe the vertical, I don't expect him to test well.

Where he'll really stand out, IMO, is Senior Bowl week. The last time he was at an All-Star setting (the UA game) he was a darling of the former NFL evaluators/coaches working the event.

Dude doesnt look much more than 215 to me. He's been here long enough to have added to that frame. I just fear he doesnt have the frame to put on enough size.

He started his career here really light. I recall his listed height and weight in his freshman year being around 200-205, but during the season, he couldn't have been more than 190 during his freshman season. He could be a 230lb in the NFL...even if he is at 215 now...now, if he can get to 230ish and keep whatever speed he has, is the question...I'd like to think he can. I think he's a better linebacker prospect than Colin, T-Good, Sharpton...

I also see Spence as a 4.6-4.7 guy. Probably closer to the 4.7. Aside from the shuttle and maybe the vertical, I don't expect him to test well.

Where he'll really stand out, IMO, is Senior Bowl week. The last team he was at an All-Star setting (the UA game) he was a darling of the former NFL evaluators/coaches working the event.

He's a football smart guy...coaches love those kids in that setting. If he goes to the Senior Bowl...that is where he can truly make a lot of money. If you impress there, especially during practice week...teams fall in love.

I noticed he starts out with ok size for Spring ball. I say around 225. However, I feel he loses weight throughout the season??

Advertisement
Six foot, 230
Great instincts and steadily improved his tackling
Third tier, darrin smith is who reminds me of
Will be solid eight year pro and show flashes b/c his quickness and intelligence in small spaces
Won't be elite, but will make a team very happy and get a nicey nice second contract after being a late second round, early third round pick

I'll go second tier. He made tons of plays on some of the worst
defenses, and behind some of the worst dlines UM has had. I think
the kid would have been down right scary with better supporting
cast.

Advertisement

Yup I see the same thing..
It's a shame he doesn't have the loose hips to play safety and doesn't he have short arms, this could be a problem for him
against much bigger and stronger players in the NFL. He definitely needs to get stronger in his upper body but he has the instincts
and the football smarts to make it at the next level in my opinion..
Last time I check his stats he was 5'11 224lbs and runs a 4.59 40..
What do you guys see him as, possibly playing the weakside on a 4-3 defense?
If he puts on some more weight and gets stronger he will do well, he sorta reminds me of Zach Thomas who was 5'11 230lbs when the phins got him..
I got Spence going in the 2nd round despite being undersized..

Keep in mind....he played around some of the worst defenses in UM history and still managed to shine. Think he's in that 2nd tier. Not up their with the Lewis's and Morgan's obviously.

If Sharpton can have success and become a starter (before injury) in the NFL, then Spence definitely can.

He will make an impact in the NFL, he just won't be a high pick because of measurables.

Agree with D Money....he will tear up the Senior Bowl.

Advertisement
Back