Let's revisit Sean Spence's place in Miami history.

Goin miss him. I hate ranking former canes. Taylor vs Reed, Wayne vs Johnson. I just think they were all really good and enjoyed watching them play.

Advertisement
Look at some of the defensive linemen those other linebackers had protecting them. Now look at what an undersized Spence was able to accomplish with many a subpar defensive line. Think about this. From 2008-2011, who's been our best defensive end? DT?

Personally, I would put Webster in that first tier for what he did in COLLEGE. Dude was an animal. Vilma is the top of the second tier (along with DJ Williams), and if he keeps putting in work in the league, I wouldn't argue with anyone that wanted to put him at the top tier. Sean would be at the top of the 3rd level, IMHO. Great player in college, but won't get his just rewards cause he played on bad
defenses. If I had to make up a list of the best linebackers to ever play @ the U, Spence would come in somewhere around 9-13.

I really wonder where he ends up getting drafted. He's smalllllllllll, but the production is there. I see him as a 4th-5th rounder.

We were having this discussion on the Lounge right before it did a Triple Lindy into a concrete slab...where does Sean Spence rank among linebackers at this University on an All-Time level.

Obviously, the elite, and truly great linebackers are Ray Lewis, Michael Barrow, and Dan Morgan...those players are considered the best to ever lace'em up here at the position. Until Ndamukong Suh's final year at Nebraska, no one in college football had as dominant a season as Dan Morgan's final at Miami. Lewis and Barrow had unrivaled careers at linebacker here.

Then you have the second tier of linebackers like Jonathan Vilma, Darrin Smith, and Maurice Crum.

Then among the masses of other great linebackers at this University...Nate Webster, Jay Brophy, George Mira Jr., Winston Moss, Rod Carter, Jon Beason, Tiger Clark, Randy Shannon, Jesse Armstead, et al...

So, with his career essentially in the books, considering he'll probably make his first All-ACC First Team, will be a finalist for the Butkus Award, among other potential accolades at the end of this season...where, I ask...WHERE, does Sean Spence rank among the greatest of All-Time here at University of Miami?

And, as a bonus question...thoughts on his NFL potential are always welcome.

Discuss.

Sean Taylor in 03 was as good a season as any defensive player ever had here.

Advertisement
i think spence is very talented but like most players in recent years........never reached his full potential because of the incompetence of the staff he played 3/4 of hs years for and the fact that this year he had no talent in front of him to help him out

i certainly dont think hes going to be an elite nfl line backer at all........and i think because of what he endured in college......it may take him a little longer to become the nfl player he will be.......but i can see him being on the level of darrin smith or rocky mcintosh in the nfl

a guy who isnt a superstar....but becomes a starter and a solid and reliable player

I'd probably stick him in the third tier, only wish he would of had some doninant DT's, like some of the guys a head of him did.

I would put him in this group as well. He disappeared for much of his sophmore year, I realize he was hurt, but he didn't play that well when he was healthy. His last 2 year however were special, wish he could've been a little bigger because he could have been in that Dan Morgan territory.

I really wonder where he ends up getting drafted. He's smalllllllllll, but the production is there. I see him as a 4th-5th rounder.

I don't see him running a blistering 40 time either though which could drop him down to around the 6th round.

Superstar on these teams, but talent/athletically wise 3rd or 4th tier. Interesting to see what type of NFL career he has.

Advertisement
Below the first tier, ahead of guys like Beason and Webster. And I think he will be a long-time starter in the pros. Slower Derrick Brooks.

Made a ton of plays, and made them at or behind the LOS.

I would agree with this but I think Webster was better. Webster was even smaller than Spence but was much more physical at the point of contact. Webster was one of my fav canes ever - he was a mongoose out on the field.

Now that he's free of Swasey's control, look for him to get to 225 in time for the combine.

It's scary that after 4 years in a college strength and conditioning program the kid still isn't 225. And he looks thin as **** for a LB.

I'd put him in the upper 3rd tier. Like many have mentioned he played in some of the worst defenses in UM history & still made plays. I can't imagine what Spence would've done with a solid DLine / DTs. Kid is a stud & I think he can play a solid role in the league (Zach Thomas NFL ref was pretty good)

Advertisement
Upper 3rd tier. I think he'll make it in the pros, hes got the football knowledge and undersized linebackers have made it and been very successful before. He's still only 22, won't have any problems putting on some more weight when working out/eating right is his actual job and he has professional nutritionists/trainers around him. He'll probably slip down in the draft due to his size, but whoever gambles on him will get a steal IMO.

In just the past 10 or 12 years, Nate Webster, Dan Morgan, Vilma, DJ Williams, McIntosh > Sean Spence. I'd say Spence = McCarthy (maybe)
Sean Spence was a very good LB at a school that traditionally puts out very great LBs.

BTW, McCarthy's tearing **** up when he gets on the field here in Nashville, and I think Spence will have good success in NFL too. He's too smart of a player not to.

Advertisement
I think he's going to have a long career in the nfl. Doesnt seem injury prone which is nice. Rosenhaus signed him and he's already touted him as the best weakside linebacker in the draft. I bet drew gets him drafted higher than we think

2nd Tier. If he had anyone with a sack playing at DT during his career he would've been an AA and more than likely an award winner this year. I agree with those saying he can make strides during the Senior Bowl because he'll have time to speak with coaches and GMs. Drew Rosenhaus is going to help Sean tremendously. IMO Spence goes in the late 2nd round. Teams will take a LB with instincts who are from Miami. I bet you teams are ****ed they passed on Colin and look at his season so far. Can't pass up a Miami player that has made plays since his freshman year of college.

Advertisement
Back