Lets Quit Kidding Ourselves....

Mano a Mano

Banned
Banned
Successful coaches are "True Leaders". So are any kind of successful person you meet in your life. True Leaders are born that way, they are not created. This is a huge mistake we as people constantly misunderstand. You are born with it in your mind, your heart and your soul. You cannot teach it.

85% of the people in the world are "True Followers", 10% of the people should basically "get the **** out of the way" and 5% are "Leaders" and of which only "1" are "True Born Leaders". Think about this. Even on this board, most of the people chiming in are not "True Leaders". They are basically followers.

A "True Leader" is very different. They have 360* Peripheral vision as it relates to their professional vision and they are very clear of their life vision. They are eccentric and self centered. Notice how little patience Nick Saban has for bull****!! Their main focus is on their Team and Families. They are not distracted by all of the noise around them. "True Leaders" are worth their weight in gold. You will notice right away when you encounter one. How many people like this have we seen in the football world? Vince Lombardi, Don Shula, Jimmy Johnson, Nick Saban, Dabo Sweeney, Urban Meyers, and then we start running out of such special people. In the college ranks they are great recruiters because they speak from their hearts and do not bull**** you. The parent(s) of these kids relate to and feel this!!

As it relates to the UM Program and of which I've been a fan of for over 45 years, how many "True Leaders" have led our program historically? Schellenberger, Johnson and maybe Butch Davis. That's about it. This will lead me to the next question:

Is Manny Diaz a "True Leader"? My answer is a quick and resounding No. Even though I am a fellow Cuban American, but a "True Leader". He is trying to learn to be one but it's just basically just not there. Don't feel it. He is basically a politician!!

I totally disagree that money now days creates a successful program. David Shula was at Alabama before Saban. Alabama had tons of money back then too! Was David successful at Alabama? Is David a "True Leader"? No, but he is a very nice man. University of Texas has tons of booster money. Have you checked their revolving coaching door in the past 10 years or so?

Bottom line is, "If you win they will come", and you win with those very, very few coaches that are true "Born Leaders". Until we have one, if we ever do, the heart breaks will continue folks.

Advertisement
Groundbreaking..... Earth Shattering......Bomb Shell......

Attachments

• tenor.gif
    tenor.gif
    425.2 KB · Views: 16
Advertisement
Successful coaches are "True Leaders". So are any kind of successful person you meet in your life. True Leaders are born that way, they are not created. This is a huge mistake we as people constantly misunderstand. You are born with it in your mind, your heart and your soul. You cannot teach it.

85% of the people in the world are "True Followers", 10% of the people should basically "get the **** out of the way" and 5% are "Leaders" and of which only "1" are "True Born Leaders". Think about this. Even on this board, most of the people chiming in are not "True Leaders". They are basically followers.

A "True Leader" is very different. They have 360* Peripheral vision as it relates to their professional vision and they are very clear of their life vision. They are eccentric and self centered. Notice how little patience Nick Saban has for bull****!! Their main focus is on their Team and Families. They are not distracted by all of the noise around them. "True Leaders" are worth their weight in gold. You will notice right away when you encounter one. How many people like this have we seen in the football world? Vince Lombardi, Don Shula, Jimmy Johnson, Nick Saban, Dabo Sweeney, Urban Meyers, and then we start running out of such special people. In the college ranks they are great recruiters because they speak from their hearts and do not bull**** you. The parent(s) of these kids relate to and feel this!!

As it relates to the UM Program and of which I've been a fan of for over 45 years, how many "True Leaders" have led our program historically? Schellenberger, Johnson and maybe Butch Davis. That's about it. This will lead me to the next question:

Is Manny Diaz a "True Leader"? My answer is a quick and resounding No. Even though I am a fellow Cuban American, but a "True Leader". He is trying to learn to be one but it's just basically just not there. Don't feel it. He is basically a politician!!

I totally disagree that money now days creates a successful program. David Shula was at Alabama before Saban. Alabama had tons of money back then too! Was David successful at Alabama? Is David a "True Leader"? No, but he is a very nice man. University of Texas has tons of booster money. Have you checked their revolving coaching door in the past 10 years or so?

Bottom line is, "If you win they will come", and you win with those very, very few coaches that are true "Born Leaders". Until we have one, if we ever do, the heart breaks will continue folks.
Sorry bro, but you gonna get about 85 % of down votes

Advertisement
This is incorrect. Several business leaders and team leaders within a company have to go through a learning process. Leaders arent born, leaders were willing to learn and have learned.

I would suggest you dont present these percentages without an underlying study. Because its pretty pointless otherwise.

Vince Lombardi, Don Shula, Jimmy Johnson, Nick Saban, Dabo Sweeney, Urban Meyers, and then we start running out of such special people. In the college ranks they are great recruiters because they speak from their hearts and do not bull**** you. The parent(s) of these kids relate to and feel this!!

Literally all of them have learned from other great coaches and have faced adversity. Lombardi played at Fordham university under coach Jim Crowley, who was part of the Four Horsemen, then learned under Earl Blaik, who was known for no-nonsense discipline and long hours of work (Lombardi entered the wrong houses when he left work, thats how tired he was) and started to succeed with the Giants after asking his players what is wrong with his style of teaching since his players didnt respect him when he arrived. All of this happened while Lombardi was told on numerous occasions that he should look for other jobs since "teams wont hire a head coach that has a last name ending with a vowel" (a reference to his italian background).

Don Shula played under Paul Brown professionally, then had to serve in the Korean War, played under HoF coach Weeb Ewbanka and then coached under Blanton Collier, who was an assistant under Paul Brown. He had seen enough and demonstrated enough to be named Head Coach of the Baltimore Colts at 33.

Jimmy Johnson played at Arkansas and won a national title under HoF coach Frank Broyles, before being an assistant under HoF coach Johnny Majors and Chuck Fairbanks, who assembled a team that won national titles with Barry Switzer in the 70s.

Nick Saban played DB at Kent State under Don James, who won three national titles. He was also part of the 5-year rebuild with the Cleveland Browns under Bill Belichick as a DC, where he said "Those were the worst years of my life (...) I worked the hardest, but I learned the most".

Dabo attended Alabama as a walk-on, earned himself a scholarship and was part of the 92 team that whooped our butt en route to win a National Title. He became a graduate assistant under Gene Stallings and became the WR and TE coach under Stallings, who is in the HoF.

Urban Meyer played DB under legendary HS coach Steve Rasso, who was known for his hard-nosed approach with his players. He then became a GA under HoF coach Earle Bruce coaching Tight Ends.

Get the point? All of the guys that you have mentioned have learned from the games greatest coaches, both on the college level and the professional level. They werent born with natural leadership, they had to earn every inch and were influenced by people who made you earn every inch.

Money creates a successful program. Money in sports widens your margin for error extremely. Texas can just fire someone and start over with a big investment, because they make the most money in College Football. Toledo cant do that.

Money spending alone doesnt correlate with winning, I think thats obvious. But the more money you have, the more chances you have that you will hit the jackpot. Good spending matters. Bama, Ohio State, Clemson... these programs arent doing well because they have so much money, they are doing well because they are spending it well.

Please provide three examples of football programs without big money that win at a consistently high level.

Money doesn't make you successful, but it's really, really hard to be successful without it anymore.

It's not the 80's anymore.
I honestly think college football changed the minute Saban left the Dolphins for Alabama. Look at how geographically diverse national champions were before 2007 or so. ESPN made an effort for conferences to take over the sport as a whole and push a narrative so money was pumped into these programs via conference only TV deals. They celebrate college towns a lot more than they used to but ironically we've been on game day a lot more often since 2017. Schools like Washington USC & Miami seem to have a tougher time competing. What Alabama can do with their money now (have a coach leave and replacing with a fired NFL coach as an assistant) barely anyone could do that 20 years ago now it's common for the upper tier.

Advertisement

An analysis as deep as the pee pool.

Please provide three examples of football programs without big money that win at a consistently high level.

Money doesn't make you successful, but it's really, really hard to be successful without it anymore.

It's not the 80's anymore.
I want to take a stab at disproving this. What would be winning at a consistently high level to you?

Advertisement
Many of you confuse being a good football coach with being a "True Leader". Nothing can be further from the truth. Leaders are born not created. Look at West Point, Annapolis, Air Force Academy where they try to turn every enrolee into a Leader. How many of you ex-service men/women can vouch for the poor Leadership that comes out of these places.

You learn coaching from hopefully other successful coaches. That in itself does not make you a "True Leader". Look at the life of Saban, Shula, Johnson, etc., and you'll get a better perspective of what "True Leadership" is all about. You are first a Leader within yourself, then your family, then your job, then your community and then your country. I got my genes from my Father, my true Hero, who was a "True Leader". He was a man of few words that led by example!!

Advertisement
Back