Let's Hope we Don't Lose Diaz/Funny how Golden wasn't named

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/08/24/coaching-carousel-preview-best-candidates-assistants-hires?utm_campaign=si-ncaafb&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&xid=socialflow_twitter_si

7.) Manny Diaz, Miami defensive coordinator: The Miami native made a big impact during his first season in Coral Gables, leading a unit that finished ninth nationally in yards per play (up from No. 86 in 2015), 12th in scoring defense (up from No. 77 in ’15), fifth in tackles for loss (up from 105th in ’15) and 22nd in team sacks (up from 70th in ’15). The Canes look like they could be even better on D this year. Diaz has had success coaching in the ACC and the SEC, and he has the kind of big-picture presence that should translate well to the head coach role.

9.) Jedd Fisch, UCLA offensive coordinator: He learned from Pete Carroll, Mike Shanahan, Steve Spurrier and Jim Harbaugh, among others, before moving to L.A. to try and help Jim Mora turn around a Bruins team that just went 4–8. If the Bruins find a way to double their win total from last year, his stock will continue to rise, especially since the eyeballs will be on how he works with top quarterback Josh Rosen. Last year, serving as Michigan’s passing game coordinator and splitting play-calling duties with Tim Drevno, Michigan was No. 1 in the Big Ten in scoring and No. 2 in passing offense—despite breaking in a new QB. Michigan went from 13th in the Big Ten in scoring (20.9 points per game) the year before Fisch and Harbaugh arrived to fourth (31.4) in 2015 to first (40.3) last year.

I've ALWAYS inferred, that Golden ' ran off ' the Fisch. ' hUh. But that's neither here or there now.

Advertisement
https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/08/24/coaching-carousel-preview-best-candidates-assistants-hires?utm_campaign=si-ncaafb&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&xid=socialflow_twitter_si

7.) Manny Diaz, Miami defensive coordinator: The Miami native made a big impact during his first season in Coral Gables, leading a unit that finished ninth nationally in yards per play (up from No. 86 in 2015), 12th in scoring defense (up from No. 77 in ’15), fifth in tackles for loss (up from 105th in ’15) and 22nd in team sacks (up from 70th in ’15). The Canes look like they could be even better on D this year. Diaz has had success coaching in the ACC and the SEC, and he has the kind of big-picture presence that should translate well to the head coach role.

9.) Jedd Fisch, UCLA offensive coordinator: He learned from Pete Carroll, Mike Shanahan, Steve Spurrier and Jim Harbaugh, among others, before moving to L.A. to try and help Jim Mora turn around a Bruins team that just went 4–8. If the Bruins find a way to double their win total from last year, his stock will continue to rise, especially since the eyeballs will be on how he works with top quarterback Josh Rosen. Last year, serving as Michigan’s passing game coordinator and splitting play-calling duties with Tim Drevno, Michigan was No. 1 in the Big Ten in scoring and No. 2 in passing offense—despite breaking in a new QB. Michigan went from 13th in the Big Ten in scoring (20.9 points per game) the year before Fisch and Harbaugh arrived to fourth (31.4) in 2015 to first (40.3) last year.

I've ALWAYS inferred, that Golden ' ran off ' the Fisch. ' hUh. But that's neither here or there now.

I was a huge fan of Fisch, but I think in time he would have left anyways. He doesn't seem to want to stick anywhere for long.

I think when Miami Manny Diaz finally ascends to join the ranks of NCAA D1 head coaches it will be a torch passing formality between he and Mark Richt.

Real life doesn't work this way. It's messy and the unexpected always happens. We read simple happy bedtime stories to children because their young minds are not developed enough to understand the complexities of real life. What you described is a simplistic fairytale scenario, no offense, that because of the infinite variables that may play out in the future, is probably highly unlikely. It's nice to hope for it, unrealistic to expect it.

This administration saw it fit to extend Coker, preemptively, before he had proven he deserved it.

This administration saw it fit to extend Shannon, preemptively, before he had proven he deserved it.

These ****faces sitting up upon high better give Diaz a raise before he even asks for it, cause I'm **** sure he deserves it.

I like Diaz, and his results so far, a lot. I think and hope he will continue to kill it, but it's only been one year. What you are proposing to do is exactly what you are railing against. It's just the pendulum swinging to the other direction: a mirror image. There is absolutely no need to take a hasty and unilateral decision when there is no need. Diaz is still here and he's not going anywhere this year. For a bunch of reasons, what you suggest is a bad idea.

Remember when just a few weeks ago posters were wanting to give Manny a unilateral raise or have some weird-*** coach-in-waiting torch passing ceremony.

You people need to get a grip.

One week it's let's raise their salaries and make them coaches in waiting.

The following week it's "these guys are worse than Golden/Dorito"

Observations and criticism are fair and deserved, it's the knee jerk instantaneous off the wall bullshīt that gets old.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back