Let's Hope we Don't Lose Diaz/Funny how Golden wasn't named

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/08/24/coaching-carousel-preview-best-candidates-assistants-hires?utm_campaign=si-ncaafb&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&xid=socialflow_twitter_si[/URL

7.) Manny Diaz, Miami defensive coordinator: The Miami native made a big impact during his first season in Coral Gables, leading a unit that finished ninth nationally in yards per play (up from No. 86 in 2015), 12th in scoring defense (up from No. 77 in ’15), fifth in tackles for loss (up from 105th in ’15) and 22nd in team sacks (up from 70th in ’15). The Canes look like they could be even better on D this year. Diaz has had success coaching in the ACC and the SEC, and he has the kind of big-picture presence that should translate well to the head coach role.

9.) Jedd Fisch, UCLA offensive coordinator: He learned from Pete Carroll, Mike Shanahan, Steve Spurrier and Jim Harbaugh, among others, before moving to L.A. to try and help Jim Mora turn around a Bruins team that just went 4–8. If the Bruins find a way to double their win total from last year, his stock will continue to rise, especially since the eyeballs will be on how he works with top quarterback Josh Rosen. Last year, serving as Michigan’s passing game coordinator and splitting play-calling duties with Tim Drevno, Michigan was No. 1 in the Big Ten in scoring and No. 2 in passing offense—despite breaking in a new QB. Michigan went from 13th in the Big Ten in scoring (20.9 points per game) the year before Fisch and Harbaugh arrived to fourth (31.4) in 2015 to first (40.3) last year.

Couple of notes...

First, the UTSA head coach is at [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2]#2
, displaying a coaching performance that Coker could never reach, even with a national championship ring.

Second, Mario is in the "others receiving votes" list.

Third, it's understandable why Golden isn't on the list (NFL), but I would have lost my sanity if D'Onofrio was even mentioned.

Who becomes our DC if we lose Diaz? Kuligowski? Someone Richt has worked with previously? A new young rising star?

He was referring to Golden not being mentioned in the Jedd Fisch notes,

Advertisement
I think when Miami Manny Diaz finally ascends to join the ranks of NCAA D1 head coaches it will be a torch passing formality between he and Mark Richt.

Real life doesn't work this way. It's messy and the unexpected always happens. We read simple happy bedtime stories to children because their young minds are not developed enough to understand the complexities of real life. What you described is a simplistic fairytale scenario, no offense, that because of the infinite variables that may play out in the future, is probably highly unlikely. It's nice to hope for it, unrealistic to expect it.

This administration saw it fit to extend Coker, preemptively, before he had proven he deserved it.

This administration saw it fit to extend Shannon, preemptively, before he had proven he deserved it.

These ****faces sitting up upon high better give Diaz a raise before he even asks for it, cause I'm **** sure he deserves it.

I like Diaz, and his results so far, a lot. I think and hope he will continue to kill it, but it's only been one year. What you are proposing to do is exactly what you are railing against. It's just the pendulum swinging to the other direction: a mirror image. There is absolutely no need to take a hasty and unilateral decision when there is no need. Diaz is still here and he's not going anywhere this year. For a bunch of reasons, what you suggest is a bad idea.

No it's not...it's not even close. Those first 2 did nothing to deserve their extensions....Diaz took a defense that the year before he arrived was a mess and made it into one of the best in the country.

So my point is simple, he did more than either of those 2 idiots did. Please don't even type out the sentence "But Coker won a title" because winning a ship with the greatest team ever assembled (which he inherited) doesn't constitute an accomplishment.

Diaz has head coach material. If the defense excels this year, he will have offers at year end from mid majors. There's no way he'd last here 5 years unless he has his heart and mind made up that he wants to have the torch passed to him from richt

It's not a bad thing to lose coaches who don't make lateral.moves. If Diaz gets the right HC gig Richt will find a quality replacement. That's what having a coach with stature means to a program. Bama played for the ship last year after losing both coordinators the year before.

I'd rather have coveted coaches than not. It means your program is successful. And if your program is successful it attracts good coaches to fill those vacated spots.

I think a lot of you guys are underestimating how much Manny Diaz cares about coaching at Miami. He's literally called it his dream job on multiple occasions. It would be akin to one of us getting a coaching position with the Hurricanes. Now, if some school backs a Brinks truck up to Diaz, it might be hard for him to turn that down but he's not leaving to take some mid-major job that only pays slightly more than what he's making here. Shalala isn't here anymore, our coaches are actually compensated fairly these days.

Not to mention, prior to 2017, Diaz wasn't exactly a hot coaching commodity. Many of us were on the fence about the hire initially. A lot of what he does on defense is predicated by having freakish Miami athletes. His scheme doesn't translate as well to a team with mediocre talent. His numbers at previous stops were all over the board from really good to absolutely horrible in certain areas.

Advertisement
Random thought: bc i was looking at some photos of the team.. that kid Wilder from CC is gonna thrive in Diaz system!! With his god given speed and his willingness to hit is gonna be scary for opponents.. only reason i really brought this up is bc this is the type of south florida stud that Golden and company would have recruited til the end then the kid would have ended up choosing Auburn over us (wtf).. just thankful to have coaches at miami that know what they're doing and also it makes a HUGE difference that our current HC is alum and knows what this FB program should look like and be about!!! Also Diaz being entrenched in the miami community outside of FB is huge.. he understands the style of play in the HS down here and takes kids and tells them basically do the same thing u did in HS.. use ur speed, be aggressive, make plays, and talk **** after! Don't think too much just react!!!

I don't think Kul is DC material. Yes, he is a phenomenal Dline coach but that is much different than running a whole defense. I hope Diaz sticks around for a long time. He has so much passion. I think Diaz could be a HC but he just fits so well as a DC. Sometimes guys just need to stay where they fit best and I think Kul is a DL coach and Diaz is a DC.

All in I think Diaz is making over $1M. We pay our coaches well. Not Bama well, but 80th-90th percentile of CFB. Richt got Frenk to pony up for the staff.

Advertisement
Maybe Diaz is our Bud Foster? Before being handed the keys to the kingdom. Would be nice.

Go Canes!

Still to this day, my favorite quote from Diaz is, "We are going to attack their offense. We are going after them with Unwavering Violence." Love that **** man.

Does anyone have any idea what our assistants are compensated, or at least ballpark?

Manny Diaz?
Thomas Brown?
Coach Kul?

If I've learned one thing over the years, it's that anyone who claims they know these numbers is lying.

I'm hoping and wishing coach Diaz stays for at lease 10 more years with us. I have been watching his career since the Longhorns era and a buddies said they enjoy playing for him. He would be a great successor.

Didn't he get fired from his last gig? He is home in the Heaven for aggressive defensive and being measured against the worse defensive coaching ever. Why leave before you pick up a NC for that resume when you have Kool making your life easy ? Then you can click off HC at decent school and come back home to the dream of HC job at the school you love after Mark retires to become a televangelist.

I think a lot of you guys are underestimating how much Manny Diaz cares about coaching at Miami. He's literally called it his dream job on multiple occasions. It would be akin to one of us getting a coaching position with the Hurricanes. Now, if some school backs a Brinks truck up to Diaz, it might be hard for him to turn that down but he's not leaving to take some mid-major job that only pays slightly more than what he's making here. Shalala isn't here anymore, our coaches are actually compensated fairly these days.

Not to mention, prior to 2017, Diaz wasn't exactly a hot coaching commodity. Many of us were on the fence about the hire initially. A lot of what he does on defense is predicated by having freakish Miami athletes. His scheme doesn't translate as well to a team with mediocre talent. His numbers at previous stops were all over the board from really good to absolutely horrible in certain areas.
More importantly than all of it (and what you said professionally is key), according to his family and people close to his family, he is truly happy in Miami. Now, the guy might make a better HC than a DC, so you never know where ambition takes him, but also remember he's jumped around already chasing higher level DC jobs only to return to MSU a couple times. Lots of factors to consider.

Advertisement
I love Manny, but it will take more than just his success last season to catapult him into the serious HC position talks.

If he finds himself in the mix after this season, it will likely mean we finished the seasons 10-2 or better with a top 10 defense. If that ball gets rolling, I think that's great for him personally, but also raises the profile of the position here for future assistants, so it's not all bad/risk.

It is unlikely that he makes a lateral move out of Miami to be a DC elsewhere in the P5. The money won't be anything Miami couldn't match/handle and he'd be taking a gigantic risk given the athletes and recruiting base he'd be walking away from. He's learned that lesson more than once already.

Diaz makes at least 1 million. I'm 100% certain about it.

and lol to those saying Diaz isn't already being in some people's heads as a possible short list hc. If anything that one year turnaround HELPS, showing what he can do with other people's players. And have you seen who coaches at some of these FBI and fcs programs? Now I don't know that he'll even go. But he is definitely getting asked unless they just shockingly tank this year.

No way we are paying Brown $750K. I'd be shocked if we are paying somebody that much who is not calling an offense or defense and does not have a ton of experience

Advertisement
Diaz makes at least 1 million. I'm 100% certain about it.

and lol to those saying Diaz isn't already being in some people's heads as a possible short list hc. If anything that one year turnaround HELPS, showing what he can do with other people's players. And have you seen who coaches at some of these FBI and fcs programs? Now I don't know that he'll even go. But he is definitely getting asked unless they just shockingly tank this year.

I am 100% certain that is incorrect. 100%. Actually, 125-133% certain is more likely.

Public information for MSU shows he made $575,000. Texas paid him $650,000.

Manny Diaz's defense was built around these guys before they were even his guys. You are absolutely correct. His attacking style simply does not work on any sort of basis resembling the consistency that he built here last season unless he has the type of athletes that he can hand pick out of his own back yard. He's not going to some Memphis or Cincinnati type program and lure in the type of talent that his system requires in order to be successful.

Rick has done wonders for Diaz by allowing him to do all those interviews and pressers if Diaz aspires to be a HC somewhere. Rick's permitted him to show everyone how great his talk game is and what a great leader he is. Not every HC gives his assistants so much air time like that.

Diaz has done a very good job here so far. But he's done exactly what he should do here and what every other DC has done here over the last 30 years other than a couple years of Bill Miller and this recent abortion of Folden's. We were pretty much plug and play with violent aggressive and nasty defenses for the last 30 years other than Folden.

Rick has done wonders for Diaz by allowing him to do all those interviews and pressers if Diaz aspires to be a HC somewhere. Rick's permitted him to show everyone how great his talk game is and what a great leader he is. Not every HC gives his assistants so much air time like that.

Diaz has done a very good job here so far. But he's done exactly what he should do here and what every other DC has done here over the last 30 years other than a couple years of Bill Miller and this recent abortion of Folden's. We were pretty much plug and play with violent aggressive and nasty defenses for the last 30 years other than Folden.

This. It's not exactly rocket science coaching defense at UM. D'Onofrio tried to make it that and failed miserably. Keep it simple. Play to your athletic strengths. Understand that your athletes are better than your opponents and game plan accordingly. Diaz has been awesome in his year+ so far but almost every defensive coordinator for the last 35 years has been awesome at Miami.

Advertisement
Back