Let's Hope we Don't Lose Diaz/Funny how Golden wasn't named

sitzee

Freshman
https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/08/24/coaching-carousel-preview-best-candidates-assistants-hires?utm_campaign=si-ncaafb&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&xid=socialflow_twitter_si

7.) Manny Diaz, Miami defensive coordinator: The Miami native made a big impact during his first season in Coral Gables, leading a unit that finished ninth nationally in yards per play (up from No. 86 in 2015), 12th in scoring defense (up from No. 77 in ’15), fifth in tackles for loss (up from 105th in ’15) and 22nd in team sacks (up from 70th in ’15). The Canes look like they could be even better on D this year. Diaz has had success coaching in the ACC and the SEC, and he has the kind of big-picture presence that should translate well to the head coach role.

9.) Jedd Fisch, UCLA offensive coordinator: He learned from Pete Carroll, Mike Shanahan, Steve Spurrier and Jim Harbaugh, among others, before moving to L.A. to try and help Jim Mora turn around a Bruins team that just went 4–8. If the Bruins find a way to double their win total from last year, his stock will continue to rise, especially since the eyeballs will be on how he works with top quarterback Josh Rosen. Last year, serving as Michigan’s passing game coordinator and splitting play-calling duties with Tim Drevno, Michigan was No. 1 in the Big Ten in scoring and No. 2 in passing offense—despite breaking in a new QB. Michigan went from 13th in the Big Ten in scoring (20.9 points per game) the year before Fisch and Harbaugh arrived to fourth (31.4) in 2015 to first (40.3) last year.

Advertisement
I hope our entire team doesn't get attacked by a pack of rabid squirrels this year. I'm worried about everything.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/08/24/coaching-carousel-preview-best-candidates-assistants-hires?utm_campaign=si-ncaafb&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&xid=socialflow_twitter_si

7.) Manny Diaz, Miami defensive coordinator: The Miami native made a big impact during his first season in Coral Gables, leading a unit that finished ninth nationally in yards per play (up from No. 86 in 2015), 12th in scoring defense (up from No. 77 in ’15), fifth in tackles for loss (up from 105th in ’15) and 22nd in team sacks (up from 70th in ’15). The Canes look like they could be even better on D this year. Diaz has had success coaching in the ACC and the SEC, and he has the kind of big-picture presence that should translate well to the head coach role.

9.) Jedd Fisch, UCLA offensive coordinator: He learned from Pete Carroll, Mike Shanahan, Steve Spurrier and Jim Harbaugh, among others, before moving to L.A. to try and help Jim Mora turn around a Bruins team that just went 4–8. If the Bruins find a way to double their win total from last year, his stock will continue to rise, especially since the eyeballs will be on how he works with top quarterback Josh Rosen. Last year, serving as Michigan’s passing game coordinator and splitting play-calling duties with Tim Drevno, Michigan was No. 1 in the Big Ten in scoring and No. 2 in passing offense—despite breaking in a new QB. Michigan went from 13th in the Big Ten in scoring (20.9 points per game) the year before Fisch and Harbaugh arrived to fourth (31.4) in 2015 to first (40.3) last year.

Couple of notes...

First, the UTSA head coach is at #2 , displaying a coaching performance that Coker could never reach, even with a national championship ring.

Second, Mario is in the "others receiving votes" list.

Third, it's understandable why Golden isn't on the list (NFL), but I would have lost my sanity if D'Onofrio was even mentioned.

Who becomes our DC if we lose Diaz? Kuligowski? Someone Richt has worked with previously? A new young rising star?

Couple of notes...

First, the UTSA head coach is at #2 , displaying a coaching performance that Coker could never reach, even with a national championship ring.

Second, Mario is in the "others receiving votes" list.

Third, it's understandable why Golden isn't on the list (NFL), but I would have lost my sanity if D'Onofrio was even mentioned.

Who becomes our DC if we lose Diaz? Kuligowski? Someone Richt has worked with previously? A new young rising star?

I'd like to go with new rising star if it's not Kul being named as DC if/when Diaz leaves. Looking over Richt's previous D-coordinators in the last several years at UGA, they're mostly average.

That's not including Pruitt as I don't see him leaving Baga nor working with Richt again.

Advertisement
Does anyone have any idea what our assistants are compensated, or at least ballpark?

Manny Diaz?
Thomas Brown?
Coach Kul?

I'm hoping and wishing coach Diaz stays for at lease 10 more years with us. I have been watching his career since the Longhorns era and a buddies said they enjoy playing for him. He would be a great successor.

Advertisement
I think he feels right at home here,.. I say we enjoy it while he continues to beast out here.
I think he's enjoying it!!... That may count for something. Hasn't anyone noticed this staff for the most part seems to have a different mentality,.. They may be here for a while!!

Does anyone have any idea what our assistants are compensated, or at least ballpark?

Manny Diaz?
Thomas Brown?
Coach Kul?

Just a guess with diaz but he probably makes more than 750000, we gave coach kool a raise after he was offered multiple NFL jobs so I'm sure he's well compensated. I think I saw somewhere than brown's contract is around 600000 a year I believe

I think when Miami Manny Diaz finally ascends to join the ranks of NCAA D1 head coaches it will be a torch passing formality between he and Mark Richt.

Advertisement
This administration saw it fit to extend Coker, preemptively, before he had proven he deserved it.

This administration saw it fit to extend Shannon, preemptively, before he had proven he deserved it.

These ****faces sitting up upon high better give Diaz a raise before he even asks for it, cause I'm **** sure he deserves it.

It's not a bad thing to lose coaches who don't make lateral.moves. If Diaz gets the right HC gig Richt will find a quality replacement. That's what having a coach with stature means to a program. Bama played for the ship last year after losing both coordinators the year before.

Advertisement
It's not a bad thing to lose coaches who don't make lateral.moves. If Diaz gets the right HC gig Richt will find a quality replacement. That's what having a coach with stature means to a program. Bama played for the ship last year after losing both coordinators the year before.

We are not Bama. Bama is a machine right now. Miami, on the other hand, just went through the worst DC in school history. Replacing Diaz will be more difficult than you think.

I think when Miami Manny Diaz finally ascends to join the ranks of NCAA D1 head coaches it will be a torch passing formality between he and Mark Richt.

Real life doesn't work this way. It's messy and the unexpected always happens. We read simple happy bedtime stories to children because their young minds are not developed enough to understand the complexities of real life. What you described is a simplistic fairytale scenario, no offense, that because of the infinite variables that may play out in the future, is probably highly unlikely. It's nice to hope for it, unrealistic to expect it.

This administration saw it fit to extend Coker, preemptively, before he had proven he deserved it.

This administration saw it fit to extend Shannon, preemptively, before he had proven he deserved it.

These ****faces sitting up upon high better give Diaz a raise before he even asks for it, cause I'm **** sure he deserves it.

I like Diaz, and his results so far, a lot. I think and hope he will continue to kill it, but it's only been one year. What you are proposing to do is exactly what you are railing against. It's just the pendulum swinging to the other direction: a mirror image. There is absolutely no need to take a hasty and unilateral decision when there is no need. Diaz is still here and he's not going anywhere this year. For a bunch of reasons, what you suggest is a bad idea.

Manny Diaz?
Thomas Brown?
Coach Kul?

Brown makes $750k and Kool is I believe close to (but less than) that after his latest raise (maybe $600-650k).

Diaz is the highest paid asst, I know that. No idea what he makes though

Advertisement
Back