Lets have a Grown Man conversation

CaneLos

Retired staff
Premium
Pour yourself your fav drink and lets sit and discuss what we have going on with our beloved programs recruiting.
Now, I know things are looking rough fors us...but lets face facts.....we arent the prettiest girl at the dance right now.
Lets point out the obvious negs we have working against us-
- We play in an off campus stadium that is rarely packed
- The last time we were any good most of these kids were 10/11 years old
- Our facilities dont hold water when compared to the big state schools
- Looming sanctions
- So. Fla public school system aint worth a ****

Sometimes we look at our program with O&G colored glasses and we dont look at what is really going on. We have a solid class....some big time talents and others who I believe will surprise. For these big time kids, if they aren't kids who love The U...they have just as much a reason to go to the big time programs even with the early opportunity to play here....because those kids believe they can go to any school and get playing time.

I believe until we start winning and winning consistently....we'll be in dog fights for these high profile kids. I trust that GoldenAl and staff are busting their butts out on the recruiting trail and I hope that they hit on their evals...but its hard to hide the warts.

Advertisement
The only thing that changed most of this is winning big. We will only win big when we get the right players. We won't get those players so long as our academic standards are so high that we cannot pull some of the few studs who are not drawn in by the SEC cash. And so we are in perpetual sickitude just like Notre Dame.

Miami>>>>>>Tallahassee>Gainsville

Private School

Our lack of facilities are overrated, we've come a long way in 10 years. We'll never be on par with a state school on this front but we lack square footage not quality.

Advertisement
We have a pretty solid class, but these big fish folks are
dying for just aren't likely when your a prennial seven win
team.

I was going to start a similar thread. I think a lot of us have a misconception of where this program stands right now. What would really drive a kid to Miami right now (this year)? Playing time is one major factor and education. The first one is big to some kids, but to others not so much. Also, its not like we have been developing talent worth a **** the last few years. Kids dont know about Al Golden and to be honest, he doesnt have a glamorous track record. It is solid, but not flashy.

I think a lot of things are catching up to the program this year. The track record, talent development, and upcoming sanctions are probably a turn off to most.

That being said, the group coming in are great kids that want to be a part of something special. They are looking toward the future, the reward of getting a solid education and turning Miami into something special again.

I know we all like to be prognosticators but I have always enjoyed the discussion of a recruiting class after they have played their last down. In all honesty that's the only way we can truly judge this or any class.

We've seem this movie too many times where studs become duds and sleepers become keepers. I'll save my popcorn for later.

We're a middling ACC school right now with a big scandal hanging over us and pending NCAA infractions. You're **** right we aren't the prettiest girl at the dance...we're an ADK Plenty of Fish special, and not one of the high end ones, one of his regulars with emphysema.

Let's focus on turning what we do and can get, into studs. As is, we'll have a Top 15 class, with some high end local ballers, some good in-state prospects, a few good OOS prospects, and some camp evaluations. *****ing about not getting a top 10 running back from Maryland or Pennsylvania or the #1 defensive tackle from Washington DC or some JUCOs from California is pointless. We have 27 players committed with a bunch of local and in-state kids still in the mix.

Yeah, no Tracy Howard, but we still have decisions coming for Keith Brown, Deon Bush, Avery Young, PJ Williams, Tyriq McCord, Davonte Bourque...still have to hold on to Reggie Northrup...lots of stuff to look to in the next month. And you know what, there is a good chance we go 0'fer here...lets just hope the staff has backups to these players that we aren't fully aware of yet.

We'll see.

Advertisement

Private School

Our lack of facilities are overrated, we've come a long way in 10 years. We'll never be on par with a state school on this front but we lack square footage not quality.

*A lot of kids from rural environments would prefer a college town atmosphere Coral Gables is a nice area, but give me a break: Miami is a high-stress **** hole to live. It's not like they're going to be spending all their time on the beach.

*Private school? And? You realize most of these kids wouldn't touch Miami if they couldn't play football, right? Many are probably intellectually closer to retarded than not. Their radio communications b.s. major would be the same at any university. Their crap degree would be the same value at any university.

*Facilities are overrated? Top programs (the ones that actually compete for championships), have all kinds of special facilities, special weight room/fitness areas, extra practice fields, better fan support, treated like Gods with all the old money, and going to school in an actual college football town. Not a city where no one cares about you unless you're 11-0 and have a chance to play in a NC game.

with regards to recruiting, the idea is simple....keep the elite local talent HOME. do this, and we will be The U and not some irrelevant has-been trying to keep up with the SEC. Golden gets a break because of the sanctions, but when this thing is behind us....no more excuses.

We're a middling ACC school right now with a big scandal hanging over us and pending NCAA infractions. You're **** right we aren't the prettiest girl at the dance...we're an ADK Plenty of Fish special, and not one of the high end ones, one of his regulars with emphysema.

Let's focus on turning what we do and can get, into studs. As is, we'll have a Top 15 class, with some high end local ballers, some good in-state prospects, a few good OOS prospects, and some camp evaluations. *****ing about not getting a top 10 running back from Maryland or Pennsylvania or the #1 defensive tackle from Washington DC or some JUCOs from California is pointless. We have 27 players committed with a bunch of local and in-state kids still in the mix.

Yeah, no Tracy Howard, but we still have decisions coming for Keith Brown, Deon Bush, Avery Young, PJ Williams, Tyriq McCord, Davonte Bourque...still have to hold on to Reggie Northrup...lots of stuff to look to in the next month. And you know what, there is a good chance we go 0'fer here...lets just hope the staff has backups to these players that we aren't fully aware of yet.

We'll see.

Great post Larry. +rep.

Some of our fans need to realize where we are at.

Advertisement
I said it in another thread, given the ****** situation he was dealt, looming sanctions, Golden has done a great job recruiting this season.

It would've helped had he won maybe two more games this year, but with a lack of talent across the board that was tough.

with regards to recruiting, the idea is simple....keep the elite local talent HOME. do this, and we will be The U and not some irrelevant has-been trying to keep up with the SEC. Golden gets a break because of the sanctions, but when this thing is behind us....no more excuses.

if it were only that easy, we would be MNC contenders every year. I'm not sure if the recruiting landscape has changed down here in the last 10-15 years but we have seen time and time again theses local program changers go to other schools (L$U, AU, Clem$on, etc). then you have the problem that was mentioned above with the enrollment standards...losing kids to the likes of WVU and Marshall.

it is gonna take a monumental recruiting and development effort over several years to turn this thing around. if we were only an $EC school with big time boosters, we'd have CFB on lock

it's gonna take a perfect mix of local 3 star types, hungry OOS big boys on both LOS and some 4 stars mixed in to get the program right. we just cannot hold on to any elite kids right now. very frustrating

Private School

*A lot of kids from rural environments would prefer a college town atmosphere Coral Gables is a nice area, but give me a break: Miami is a high-stress **** hole to live. It's not like they're going to be spending all their time on the beach.

*Private school? And? You realize most of these kids wouldn't touch Miami if they couldn't play football, right? Many are probably intellectually closer to retarded than not. Their radio communications b.s. major would be the same at any university. Their crap degree would be the same value at any university.

*Facilities are overrated? Top programs (the ones that actually compete for championships), have all kinds of special facilities, special weight room/fitness areas, extra practice fields, better fan support, treated like Gods with all the old money, and going to school in an actual college football town. Not a city where no one cares about you unless you're 11-0 and have a chance to play in a NC game.

This along with Larry and Canelos is pretty much on the money. I dunno about having a grown man conversation. Some of the folks on this board sound like their pants are worn the same as three year olds and express themselves with the same content as the diapers. Yet, I could be wrong.

Advertisement
Go to the games. Go to the games. Go to the games. This half empty bull**** has to stop. Too many games on TV now where kids can see all the empty seats, especially lower bowl empties. It looks like WE are not invested. And if WE are not invested, why should they be? I know we're not going to sell out for the Wake Forests and Dukes of the world, but can we please start showing up for the Georgia Techs and UNC's of the world?

Way I see it, for the next couple of years, we'll have to win like VT with these hard nosed disciplined players. And once we do that and get back on track, that is how you start landing some of these program changers.

I've been to both, home and away. Some of our "fans" when they show up make a lot of early noise early on, are drunk by halftime, sleeping by the fourth quarter, then leave early. I like it better when they're not there.

Advertisement
Back