Lets have a Grown Man conversation

Interesting thread. Both sides have good points.

I consider myself a realist...not a downer or doom-&-gloomer and certainly not a O & G glasses guy. That being said, Los' observations with the program, I believe, are correct. We're a middle of the pack ACC team. We've got some things going for us while they are many things that UM does not have, that other programs have that attract kids. Win a few then lose a few. Every now and then (the Clappy/Radio era), we'll beat a decent G. Tech/OU/O$U,f$u team...but for the most part, on the field, we're average. We lose games we should win (albiet by small margins...K. St., f$u, etc) but lose them nonetheless. Good teams consistanly win games when teams 'get up to play them.' When 'Bama or Oregon go marching in to visitor's place (that lolely home team's biggest game of the year) and dilly dally around for a possession or two...they seem to turn it on and pull out a victory. We haven't (or can't) do that.

D$'s recruiting assessment isn't far off either. Look back at the consensus #1 recruits who UM has pulled (or have been commited here) in the past few years...DJ, Wright, Berlin, Authur, Bryce, Willie W, L. McCoy, S. Henderson, Duke. The UM brand and the team (and coaches) attract top rated talent. Our classes have rarely been rated #1 or 2...but we're typcially in the top 20's or so recruiting class-wise. Randy did bring in highly rated players. IMO, Randy (& the revolving door staffs) did not fill the in class well...or develop the kids that were brought in.

IMO, there is no 'one' thing that has gone wrong with the program lately...i believe it's a combo of a few things. IMO, our recruiting has been on par with what UM has brought in in the past. We have not evaluated or developed our kids well. I'm one that thinks UM should give Gold some time to see what he and (hopefully) an intact staff can do. We didn't become mediocre overnight and won't get really good overnight. This class can help. The next one can too. But it's gonna take time.

(just my thoughts)

Last edited:
Advertisement
interesting thread. Not really my place to comment on the subject itself but, and please keep in mind i haven't been following recruiting very closely lately, maybe the florida talent is not what it once was?

the state of all three of the major programs in this state is pretty alarming. Maybe they are all just poorly coached...FSU has struggled for a decade..Miami almost as long...UF had a spurt with meyer but if you dig into the roster it was heavily supplemented with playmakers from other states - percy, Spikes, Haden, etc

the HS coaching for the majority of the state is god awful and we have a ton of kids with **** poor football IQ. People see the athleticism and speed in the state and drool but are they really football players? are there enough real football players to fully support 3 large programs? I am starting to have my doubts.

Now I am not saying the state is devoid of talent...it still pumps out some extremely talented football players...but I do wonder if it is capable of supporting 3 programs basing a roster of these players

interesting thread. Not really my place to comment on the subject itself but, and please keep in mind i haven't been following recruiting very closely lately, maybe the florida talent is not what it once was?

the state of all three of the major programs in this state is pretty alarming. Maybe they are all just poorly coached...FSU has struggled for a decade..Miami almost as long...UF had a spurt with meyer but if you dig into the roster it was heavily supplemented with playmakers from other states - percy, Spikes, Haden, etc

the HS coaching for the majority of the state is god awful and we have a ton of kids with **** poor football IQ. People see the athleticism and speed in the state and drool but are they really football players? are there enough real football players to fully support 3 large programs? I am starting to have my doubts.

Now I am not saying the state is devoid of talent...it still pumps out some extremely talented football players...but I do wonder if it is capable of supporting 3 programs basing a roster of these players

You should have no doubts.

Look to the NFL, the doubts will wilt.

The problem is, outside of a non-medicated Meyer and his very good staff for a few years, the state's big three schools have had bad coaching for a the decade. So, you can't take these amazing athletes and turn them into football players...which has always been the case. Its just you had a prime Bowden, a prime Spurrier, and Miami's plethora of great coaches, be able to turn these kids into men on the football field. When they don't have the straight up, good coaches, the programs struggle and have lots of busts...good athletes, lots of promise, the return on investment is never there. Par for the course for each of the big three.

Each school needs to get it together in regards to evaluation, recruiting, and coaching these kids up. The first team to do that is probably on their way to a National Championship, which has been par for the course for this state for 30 years.

However, now...FSU is kind of cleaning up on in-state kids, but not doing anything with them, while there is a lot of a SEC schools and other OOS schools getting their foot in the door while all three schools are down.

You should have no doubts.

Look to the NFL, the doubts will wilt.

The problem is, outside of a non-medicated Meyer and his very good staff for a few years, the state's big three schools have had bad coaching for a the decade. So, you can't take these amazing athletes and turn them into football players...which has always been the case. Its just you had a prime Bowden, a prime Spurrier, and Miami's plethora of great coaches, be able to turn these kids into men on the football field. When they don't have the straight up, good coaches, the programs struggle and have lots of busts...good athletes, lots of promise, the return on investment is never there. Par for the course for each of the big three.

Each school needs to get it together in regards to evaluation, recruiting, and coaching these kids up. The first team to do that is probably on their way to a National Championship, which has been par for the course for this state for 30 years.

However, now...FSU is kind of cleaning up on in-state kids, but not doing anything with them, while there is a lot of a SEC schools and other OOS schools getting their foot in the door while all three schools are down.

i considered the NFL angle...but I am looking at the here and now.

Maybe you are right...maybe it is just coaching at the colleges...

Advertisement
The kids are coming in with poor coaching at the HS level. They get to college...they are corched. They go to the NFL, get some real coaching, and boom...they play. Look at how many Miami players over the last decade go to the pro game and play a higher level almost immediately. Its ridiculous when you look at it.

Advertisement
Back