Let's get this straight: Golden is a Mediocre Recruiter

Yea I get what you're saying, Andrew... We agree for the most part... I'm just adding my opinion that I didn't think EJ or Figs were stars... EJ was decent on a horrible defense... Figs barely did anything... And I don't think Gunter outplayed Howard at all... He was decent and so has been Howard and Burns but I guess we expect a 2star to be decent and not 4 or 5 stars... I think players like EJ, Figs and Gunter actually proved Als evaluation skills as being subpar... Anyway yes you're right... He doesn't evaluate well...

I'm with you on Yearby, however I never expected much because of his build... The every down backs built like him that I can remember is Darren Sproles and Noel Devine but both were extremely faster... Even speedsters like Chris Rainey and Jeff Demps weren't every down backs...

To add to the RB talk I think this is why GA is going to be different things with Sony. Sony won't be successful running through the tackles and that is why he won't pass Chubbs on the depth chart. Sony was the number 3 back according to 247sports but in reality he should have been 10 - 15 because he doesn't have the tools. Anyone that watched Chubbs in HS or at least looked at his resume would have known who the better back was. Sony was ranked higher by everyone and even Yearby was ranked higher than Chubbs. I know Sony is legit but our recruiting classes always look so much better because players in south Florida tend to be ranked higher due to where they are from. I am not saying we don't try and fill a class full of south Florida guys but we got to get the right guys.

Agreed and agreed 2x
Sony is not a hard nosed runner ala Chubbs. Chubbs seeks out contact, now in the long term that will cut his career down a little.

It's all about the right guys.. I'm sick of the s.fla homer fest.. I've seen good guys come out of **** Alquippa Pa so talent is talent. We need better coaching it's the end of the road for Al and I hope he is investing his money.

Advertisement
Yea I get what you're saying, Andrew... We agree for the most part... I'm just adding my opinion that I didn't think EJ or Figs were stars... EJ was decent on a horrible defense... Figs barely did anything... And I don't think Gunter outplayed Howard at all... He was decent and so has been Howard and Burns but I guess we expect a 2star to be decent and not 4 or 5 stars... I think players like EJ, Figs and Gunter actually proved Als evaluation skills as being subpar... Anyway yes you're right... He doesn't evaluate well...

I'm with you on Yearby, however I never expected much because of his build... The every down backs built like him that I can remember is Darren Sproles and Noel Devine but both were extremely faster... Even speedsters like Chris Rainey and Jeff Demps weren't every down backs...

To add to the RB talk I think this is why GA is going to be different things with Sony. Sony won't be successful running through the tackles and that is why he won't pass Chubbs on the depth chart. Sony was the number 3 back according to 247sports but in reality he should have been 10 - 15 because he doesn't have the tools. Anyone that watched Chubbs in HS or at least looked at his resume would have known who the better back was. Sony was ranked higher by everyone and even Yearby was ranked higher than Chubbs. I know Sony is legit but our recruiting classes always look so much better because players in south Florida tend to be ranked higher due to where they are from. I am not saying we don't try and fill a class full of south Florida guys but we got to get the right guys.

Have you seen Sony live the past 5 years? What are the 10 or 15 running backs in the class of 2014 you believed are better than Sony. Furthermore, Sony would ahead of Joseph Yearby right now and was a better prospect in high school.

I have no doubt Sony is better than Yearby. Yearby isn't a top 10 back either. I wasn't debating that. I don't think Sony has the physical tools to be an every down back in college and that is why I think he is out of the top 10. Sony is a guy I put on there 3rd and long as an option to throw too. On Reddit Todd Gurley clearly thinks Chubbs is the better back http://www.reddit.com/r/iama/comments/34f0qh/hi_i_am_todd_gurley_ii_former_georgia_bulldog_at/

A few guys better than Sony that were ranked below him.
Nick Chubbs (UGA)
Samaje Perine (OU)
Nick Wilson (Arizona)
Royce Freeman (Oregon)

I don't watch Sports Center when Miami loses so I missed a lot of college football last season. I saw Miami play once in person and TCU twice in person.

We get south Florida guys but we don't always get the right ones. I believe 11 kids were drafted from Broward/dade this year and 5-6 more from PB.

We just had 6 south Florida guys drafted and Walford + feliciano were complete sleepers

I try not to be too much of an ATL homer since I do believe Miami needs to stick to South Florida to win but Metro Atlanta had more
http://www.scout.com/nfl/story/1547715-draft-stats-part-2-cities-and-counties

Again I am not saying Golden needs to head north for talent but lets stop pretending South Florida is light years ahead of everyone else when the data shows they are not. We all spent 5 years watching highlights to UGA's backup running back and we wonder why we haven't won a title.

We get south Florida guys but we don't always get the right ones. I believe 11 kids were drafted from Broward/dade this year and 5-6 more from PB.

We just had 6 south Florida guys drafted and Walford + feliciano were complete sleepers

I try not to be too much of an ATL homer since I do believe Miami needs to stick to South Florida to win but Metro Atlanta had more

Again I am not saying Golden needs to head north for talent but lets stop pretending South Florida is light years ahead of everyone else when the data shows they are not. We all spent 5 years watching highlights to UGA's backup running back and we wonder why we haven't won a title.

one outlier doesn't define a theory. I firmly believe south Florida is far ahead of any other area. 4* and 5* numbers really isn't "data" because there a plethora of different recruiting websites that rank prospects differently. The numbers from the NFL draft and the all conference teams support south Florida as the most capable region to find talent

one outlier doesn't define a theory. I firmly believe south Florida is far ahead of any other area. 4* and 5* numbers really isn't "data" because there a plethora of different recruiting websites that rank prospects differently. The numbers from the NFL draft and the all conference teams support south Florida as the most dominant region in college football

If you read the article I posted you will see that isn't the case. It breaks it down in several different ways. Fact of the matter more players were drafted out of Metro Atlanta than South Florida.

Advertisement
Here

• 1. Metro Atlanta (20)
  • 2. South Florida (17)
  • 3. Dallas/Ft. Worth (15)
  • 4. Northern Calif. (11)
  • 5. Baltimore/D.C. (10)
  • 6t. Southern Calif. (9)
  • 6t. Tampa Bay (9)
  • 8. Houston (7)
  • 9t. Birmingham (Ala.) (6)
  • 9t. Central Texas (6)
  • 9t. Chicago (Ill.) (6)

• 1. Mobile (6.9)
  • 2. Central Georgia (6)
  • 3. Montgomery (5.33)
  • 4. Wichita (4.8)
  • 5. Birmingham (4.4)
  • 6. Atlanta (3.64)
  • 7. Central Miss. (3.33)
  • 8. South Miss. (4)
  • 9. Baltimore/D.C. (2.99)
  • 10. South Florida (2.93)

• 1. Dade(9)
  • 2. Dallas(6)
  • 3t. Hillsborough (5)
  • 3t. Sacramento (5)
  • 3t. Broward (5)
  • 6t. Denton (4)
  • 6t. Gwinnett (4)
  • 6t. Fulton (4)
  • 6t. Cook (4)
  • 6t. Los Angeles (4)
On the last one 2 ATL counties (Cobb and Dekalb) were tied for 12 with 3 picks.

I am not sure what qualifies as "Metro ATL" but according to this article

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...roduces-most-nfl-draftees-in-past-three-years

South Florida (57) almost tripled Metro ATL (22) from 2012-2014. According to this, it would be hard to believe that metro ATL put in 20 kids in one draft after putting in 22 in three years. George had 30 players selected in this draft so that would mean 2/3 of their draft pool came from metro ATL. Nevertheless, south Florida would still have a substantial advantage (74 to 42) over the past 4 years if that held true

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Who gives a **** where the Atlanta kids are going? Yeah, it would be nice to steal a couple here and there, but I expect most of them to wind up at UGA, GT or whatever SEC team they grew up idolizing.

The problem we have is all the kids growing up Hurricane fans are playing for USC and Alabama, while the ones growing up watching Rutgers and the Syracuse Orange are rocking the U.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...roduces-most-nfl-draftees-in-past-three-years

South Florida (57) almost tripled Metro ATL (22) from 2012-2014. According to this, it would be hard to believe that metro ATL put in 20 kids in one draft after putting in 22 in three years. George had 30 players selected in this draft so that would mean 2/3 of their draft pool came from metro ATL. Nevertheless, south Florida would still have a substantial advantage (74 to 42) over the past 4 years if that held true

If you get in your car at the capital building and drive 30 minutes in any direction you are in Metro Atlanta. The City of Atlanta is in part of 4 or 5 counties. GA had 17 taken in 2014 http://highschoolsports.blog.ajc.co...-new-norm-four-first-rounders-is-exceptional/

I could get into the reasons why GA is climbing so fast but I don't think users in South Florida want to hear it. Point is a crazy amount of talent is now coming out of GA and SEC (GA has the most SEC players) are taking full advantage of it.

Andrew I don't know about Sony... Remember he was the back up to Gurley before his injury... And he was doing pretty well... It even took Chubs like a game or 2 to come into his own and boy did he ball... I think Sonny can be a between the tackles runner... However it's incredible to have a 5'10 230 pound back that can move like Chubbs... I think Sony will bounce back but they will have to give him touches in a variety of ways... He's that talented...

Andrew I don't know about Sony... Remember he was the back up to Gurley before his injury... And he was doing pretty well... It even took Chubs like a game or 2 to come into his own and boy did he ball... I think Sonny can be a between the tackles runner... However it's incredible to have a 5'10 230 pound back that can move like Chubbs... I think Sony will bounce back but they will have to give him touches in a variety of ways... He's that talented...

No question he has talent but I don't think he has the power or durability.

Advertisement

Have you seen Sony live the past 5 years? What are the 10 or 15 running backs in the class of 2014 you believed are better than Sony. Furthermore, Sony would ahead of Joseph Yearby right now and was a better prospect in high school.

I have no doubt Sony is better than Yearby. Yearby isn't a top 10 back either. I wasn't debating that. I don't think Sony has the physical tools to be an every down back in college and that is why I think he is out of the top 10. Sony is a guy I put on there 3rd and long as an option to throw too. On Reddit Todd Gurley clearly thinks Chubbs is the better back http://www.reddit.com/r/iama/comments/34f0qh/hi_i_am_todd_gurley_ii_former_georgia_bulldog_at/

A few guys better than Sony that were ranked below him.
Nick Chubbs (UGA)
Samaje Perine (OU)
Nick Wilson (Arizona)
Royce Freeman (Oregon)

I don't watch Sports Center when Miami loses so I missed a lot of college football last season. I saw Miami play once in person and TCU twice in person.

Too be fair, Sony was hurt... Before his injury he was also ahead of Chubbs on the depth chart I believe... I don't think he's better than Chubbs but I think it's a bit unfair to compare him to Freeman, Perine and Wilson who all played in a different offenses in conferences who are not known for their defense... I just seen Chubbs play in an offense with decent passing attack... He was the offense and still performed... I think we'll have a better idea of Sonny when he's healthy...

I agree... He has a history of being injured... I do think your analysis of him being ranked 10-15 is a bit off... I think he deserved his ranking as a top 5-10 back...

I agree... He has a history of being injured... I do think your analysis of him being ranked 10-15 is a bit off... I think he deserved his ranking as a top 5-10 back...

Take a look at these guys

Samaje Perine (OU)
Nick Wilson (Arizona)
Royce Freeman (Oregon)

Advertisement
Oh I watched all of those players... I even attend U of Oregon... I seen Freemanand Wilson play... I just feel despite their talents their offenses played a role in their productions... The two non-Pac teams Freeman played, resulted in underwhelming production(fsu even had a bad defense)... They are all talented but I think the Big 12 and Pac 12 may be 2 of the weakest defensive conferences...

Let's get this straight...everything in life is relative.

Relative to the fact our school sits on THE most fertile recruiting ground in the COUNTRY, both from a quantity AND a quality standpoint, I have major issues with even calling him "mediocre".

This is the reason so many of us are pulling our hair out over the self imposed purgatory which is the current state of the program. This is the reason we're pretty much the definition of a sleeping giant right now...we're a "mediocre" coach away from being good....we're just a "good" coach away from being a program that contends again on a regular basis. This ship can be fixed quickly.

All we need is something we haven't had in over a decade and over 3 consecutive coaching staffs....a qualified coach with half a clue. You don't need a "great" coach to win here....you just need to avoid hiring another ******* ******.

I think Sony will be fine in the long run provided he's healthy. I think that's why Chubbs got more work, possibly he's better, but Sony adds another dynamic so why rush him back to taking a pounding. Let him build his body up, be injured free for a while, and let him dominate.

South Florida produces most NFL draftees in past three years - NFL.com

If you get in your car at the capital building and drive 30 minutes in any direction you are in Metro Atlanta. The City of Atlanta is in part of 4 or 5 counties. GA had 17 taken in 2014 17 NFL Draft picks from Georgia is the new norm; four first-rounders is exceptional | Prep Zone: High School Sports blog

I could get into the reasons why GA is climbing so fast but I don't think users in South Florida want to hear it. Point is a crazy amount of talent is now coming out of GA and SEC (GA has the most SEC players) are taking full advantage of it.

I'm not denying GA talent but they still have a long way to go. Like I stated, last 4 years 74 south Florida players drafted (and we have undrafted players such as Hurns making an impact) compared to 42 (this number is generous since Scout has different # than NFL.com which I trust more as a reliable source on hometowns).

Georgia is already a force. Florida had 39 players drafted compared to 30 from Georgia

Advertisement
Back