Let's build out the rotation for next year

JZCane0825

All ACC
Premium
We can tweak as the summer goes on but I'm going to operate with the assumption that Wong leaves given his performance in the tournament and how close he was to leaving last year:

PG - Transfer (Curbelo?)/Joseph
SG - Beverly/Poplar (we may need a proven scorer out of the portal here)
SF - Miller/Jakai Robinson
PF - Anthony Walker/AJ Casey
C - Transfer/Aire

Obviously a lot of moving parts here. I think it's essentially a lock that a transfer PG and big are added. With that said, SG is a big question mark for me as Beverly isn't a great shooter and Poplar did little to inspire confidence, so I think we need to look at a proper lead scoring guard via the portal as well. This gets alleviated if the staff can somehow convince Wong to come back.

I feel a bit better about SF since Miller can go back to his natural position with more bigs in the fold and I think Jakai Robinson will contribute here as well. Walker will get the first look at the 4 spot but AJ Casey will have a lot to say as well and we aren't even factoring in Reneau. Aire will likely be the starting 5 unless we find a big via the portal and I expect Gak to leave.

Advertisement
I wish Wong would come back.

First he can get his degree more than likely.

Second you only get college ball once, and when it's over it is over. I don't know too many people ever that has regretted staying in school another year.

Third, with him back and adding a talented PG to run offense he will get even more looks to score possibly make another tourney run.

Fourth improve as a player. He is currently a 6'3 Guard who doesnt shoot the 3 that well.
He could really work on his shot this off-season try to get to 34-37% from 3.

Second you only get college ball once, and when it's over it is over. I don't know too many people ever that has regretted staying in school another year.

Third, with him back and adding a talented PG to run offense he will get even more looks to score possibly make another tourney run.

Fourth improve as a player. He is currently a 6'3 Guard who doesnt shoot the 3 that well.
Fifth, he's a very likeable player.

Advertisement
Wong can work on his shot and ball handling.

Looks Rhode Islands whole team is entering the portal. They have two brother who are big men we could use…..no?

Last edited:
Do what you can to call KJ Williams from Murray state to replace Sam. Then go and get Xavier pinson from lsu. Use NIL money to get pat Baldwin too. All not happening but if it’s a wish list that’s my wish list

OP, you forgot two other incoming frosh -- Christian Watson (6'6, 195 SF) from Washington, DC St. John's College Prep, and Danilo Jovanovich (6'7, 200 SF), out of Milwaukee.

Watson was rated a 4 star last I checked and Jovanovich a 3 star recruit. If nothing else, assuming no RS, they provide some size and depth. Watson sounds a bit like J Miller. Good mid-range and around the rim.

Advertisement
my main takeaway looking at this is that we really need to seek out shooting.

I think Miller is perfect as a small ball 4 or wing/big flex player that he was this season. putting Miller and Walker on the floor together with a center really starts to cramp the shooting, and if Wong comes back he can't really shoot either. nor can Poplar or Joseph or Beverly for that matter... again we need to find some shooting. I think L is able to generate spacing in his system via his willingness to go small, but losing Sam, Kam, and Charlie means that, aside from just losing raw scoring numbers, we're missing the three guys on the team who could hit some threes.

maybe some of the freshmen will be able to help... from what I've read Casey can shoot the ball a bit, and I assume Jovanovich can too (racial profiling). but aside from finding some ball handlers in the portal we need to find some shooters. even just a DJ Vasiljevic type would be huge for how this line up is looking on paper.

I'm worried about where the scoring will come from next year if Wong leaves. He could greatly benefit by coming back and being the unquestioned leader of the team, and of course the team would benefit from his much needed proven scoring ability.
We need a go-to scorer in the portal unless Wong comes back. Ironically, this is going to be a far deeper team next year but we don’t have a single player on the roster that can take over a game like Wong or McGusty can

OP, you forgot two other incoming frosh -- Christian Watson (6'6, 195 SF) from Washington, DC St. John's College Prep, and Danilo Jovanovich (6'7, 200 SF), out of Milwaukee.

Watson was rated a 4 star last I checked and Jovanovich a 3 star recruit. If nothing else, assuming no RS, they provide some size and depth. Watson sounds a bit like J Miller. Good mid-range and around the rim.
I didn’t forget them but just don’t see them factoring in right away

my main takeaway looking at this is that we really need to seek out shooting.

I think Miller is perfect as a small ball 4 or wing/big flex player that he was this season. putting Miller and Walker on the floor together with a center really starts to cramp the shooting, and if Wong comes back he can't really shoot either. nor can Poplar or Joseph or Beverly for that matter... again we need to find some shooting. I think L is able to generate spacing in his system via his willingness to go small, but losing Sam, Kam, and Charlie means that, aside from just losing raw scoring numbers, we're missing the three guys on the team who could hit some threes.

maybe some of the freshmen will be able to help... from what I've read Casey can shoot the ball a bit, and I assume Jovanovich can too (racial profiling). but aside from finding some ball handlers in the portal we need to find some shooters. even just a DJ Vasiljevic type would be huge for how this line up is looking on paper.
I have read that Jakai Robinson is a very good outside shooter. But agreed, we desperately need to add a pure shooter to the roster.

Assuming Wong leaves, my wish list is:
A portal PG
A portal scorer/shooter
A portal big who can defend and rebound

Advertisement
We need a go-to scorer in the portal unless Wong comes back. Ironically, this is going to be a far deeper team next year but we don’t have a single player on the roster that can take over a game like Wong or McGusty can
We may not have a single player that can take over a game yet. But the hope is someone develops and eventually takes over that role. Miller flashed the ability to do that at times, but I'd still prefer him as the #2 or #3 scoring option.

We may not have a single player that can take over a game yet. But the hope is someone develops and eventually takes over that role. Miller flashed the ability to do that at times, but I'd still prefer him as the #2 or #3 scoring option.
I love Miller's game but if he is our #1 scoring option it will be a long season next year.

I didn’t forget them but just don’t see them factoring in right away
For depth, I think one or both can factor in. Watson has played in the highly competitive Washington Catholic Athletic Conference (WCAC) and been a standout.

Watson actually might be more ready, from what I've read up here in DC, than Aire (who played against him in the very same league). Aire, of course, does have size, something we need a lot more than another SF.

Advertisement
If Beverly and Walker are starting, it is going to be a long year. I love having them but they are just too limited offensively. Walker looks like he was built in a lab with great size and athleticism but the basketball skills....

I think Miller can have a great year but there just isn't enough around him. Hoping the freshman and portal can bring in some help.

If Beverly and Walker are starting, it is going to be a long year. I love having them but they are just too limited offensively. Walker looks like he was built in a lab with great size and athleticism but the basketball skills....

I think Miller can have a great year but there just isn't enough around him. Hoping the freshman and portal can bring in some help.
Can't disagree but ... I have NOT given up on Walker yet. He came to the game late, iirc, and with more expected from him next season, he may yet rise to the occasion.

Anyone notice Walker was voted "Sixth Man of the Year" in the ACC? Guess some others value him a bit more highly than we tend to do.

"I don't know too many people ever that has regretted staying in school another year" is such a fan thing to say lol.

A few guys on the football team that I bet regretted it: Jaquan Johnson, Mike Jackson, Mike Pinckney, maybe even Shaq Quarterman. All of those guys came back, the team had a bad season, and they didn't improve their draft stock.

I think Wong should come back, but I think it's pretty biased to think there's never any risk to coming back to school, vs. leaving when your stock is at its highest (even if it's not that high).

How many scholarships do we have, can we add more than one transfer?
I think wong returns and becomes the team leader along with Miller.
We get Curbelo as a transfer and add Reneau to an already talented class.

PG Curbelo/Joseph/Filippos
SG Wong/Beverly/Poplar
SF Miller/Jakai/Jovanovich/Watson
PF Walker/Casey
C Aire/Reneau

Advertisement
Back