Let me tell you a little bit about Jamar Cheney

Advertisement
Talent at LB has been weak tho. Using the shaq and mike being starters for years shît as a excuse back fired. You should’ve had 2 more ballers behind them ready to take over when they left.

Naw, naw, I totally agree w u. That’s y I said speaking strictly on LB, we’ve been sorely lacking. Lol

Advertisement
So El, level w/ me....

We had Rumph, yeah? Rumph had connections, yeah?

U know what my g; if ur cool w it, I’m “cool” w/ it. I feel what u guys r saying regarding recruiting, although I’m not sure why Miss St didn’t benefit from his “almost” at UF; but we also have had our guys completely lost at the LB position.

We’ll see. In 2021, I’m all about open mindedness.
He’s only been at Miss St since December.

And one size doesn’t fit all, just because Rumph didn’t work that doesn’t mean the same applies to every coach.

I’m not telling you he’s a HOF’er & the greatest Coach alive, I’m simply laying out the logic behind why Manny would be interested in him. You’re entitled to feel as skeptical as you like.

I am TOO. I’m not sure how people don’t understand that my personal picks are not who the staff always picks, I posted my list already, Chaney wasn’t on it.

I’m only on board with it from a recruiting standpoint.

If you were Manny given the recent developments, who’s the top 3 you would reach out to to gauge interest? Would Chaney be one especially with his recruiting chops in Florida? Or would you rather a developer of talent then recruiter second mate?
I’d go with a more experienced LB coach with a track record of developing LB’s.

No Chaney wouldn’t be in my top 3.

But I don’t have a problem with Manny bringing him in if he feels he will help on the trail.

I’d go with a more experienced LB coach with a track record of developing LB’s.

No Chaney wouldn’t be in my top 3.

But I don’t have a problem with Manny bringing him in if he feels he will help on the trail.
Also, knowing what is not posted about Florida’s failures on the trail, one would have to wonder if he was a part of the problem.

Advertisement
He was the equivalent of DVD for UF as a personnel recruiting director & because of his time coaching at Centennial he’s patched in with all the recruits in that region including 5-star Safety Kamari Wilson who we’re heavily after & James Monds III as well.

He’s not a grizzled experienced vet as a LB’s coach, but I don’t think that matters as of now, Manny clearly wants a recruiter at LB given both TWill & Chaney are basically young energetic guys who are heralded as very good recruiters on the trail.

I’m not against that strategy because we’ve suffered greatly for the last 5 years with having mediocre LB recruiting, so now Manny is trying to find some guys who can really sell on Defense & imo there’s nothing wrong with that.
I can definitely understand this philosophy. And I guess Patke would still have a voice in the LB room which, combined with better recruiting, may end up working out in the end.

I don't think Chaney is a good move...We shouldn't be hiring a recruiter and waiting until 2022 to have hope for the LB room to be turned around. We got a senior QB, we got an experienced o-line, we got a whole secondary returning...too many things lining up that screams money year. I think Manny needs to hire someone who can salvage what we have and evaluate proper LB prospects. I'd 100% be behind hiring Randy Shannon over Chaney.

Advertisement
I like how many basically Jim Harbaugh'd the defensive side of the ball. Need to see the same next year after Lashlee leaves.

Also, knowing what is not posted about Florida’s failures on the trail, one would have to wonder if he was a part of the problem.
Hova I thought was a problem. I know Knox, Hevesy and English were problems. I don’t know who Chaney was responsible for. I don’t think he was on field anyhow.

Chaney would be a good pick up. Most of the people disagreeing are the same posters that think every move that we make is the wrong one. They will pick 1 or 2 guys that we likely won’t have a chance at and bïtch when we hire someone else.

People talk about development but our LB room just isn’t that talented right now. If we can bring in another big time recruiter and upgrade the talent level, we need to. And what exactly is the proof that Chaney can’t develop them as well?

Advertisement
I like the poster who said that getting a guy who is great at developing and great on the recruiting trail is few and far between. And those guys will cost you SEC type salaries as well.

We had Coach Kul and because he couldnt recruit his development skills didnt matter. (Remember the year we only brought in Jon Ford at DT?)
We had Rumph and because he couldnt recruit his development skills didnt matter (Although that is debateble on here how much of a developer he was)

I am fine with trying it the other way and getting a guy who will be an elite recruiter and is maybe on the level of Stroud as a developer of talent? (Not great but good enough to get the job done)

Hmmm; the latter part of ur statement, I’m conflicted on. Yes, talent wins....but we’ve had talent, more than most w/o the results. But, speaking strictly from the LB recruiting portion, we’ve been sorely lacking.

The truth lies somewhere in the middle. I'm not saying you can have horrendous coaching with great talent and win big. Same as you can't have elite coaching with a bunch of nobodies playing for you. There has to be some amount of balance. But what I meant was, all things considered, give me the guy who is a better recruiter than he is developer because IMO elite talent has a higher ceiling than elite coaching.

The teams who are the best don't necessarily have the absolute best football coaches at all 10 spots. But they certainly do have the absolute best athletes at all 22 spots. In college, talent can trump coaching if you have enough of it.

I believe he will be our next LB coach.

Jamar Cheney, monster recruiter. Literally was the whole reason UF lead and got some of Palmetto. Once he left, Brashard wasn’t going to UF and neither was LT. He kicked rocks from UF after Mullen and his staff was getting lazy with recruiting, he couldn’t be the only one pulling his weight. UF is known in circles for being horrible at closing and showing lack luster effort in recruiting.

Would be a monster hire from a recruiting standpoint. Better than T-Will, he knows the area way better than T-Will. Was Florida’s best recruiter by a large margin, should have seen the twitter uproar from UF targets when Chaney left. Brashard was one, he wasn’t happy.

Not to mention Kamari Wilson really likes him. I’d call Wilson a near lock if Chaney gets hired here
Hi Jamar

So suddenly everyone is ok with hiring the analyst and the first time position coach from Miss State? as if they haven’t *****ed about 2 others with nearly the same resume as Chaney..

Just saying... for the record I think it’d be a solid hire. I’d like to see a former DC or current small school DC like Joseph Gillespie, Nate Fuqua, or Rob Harley (he just became a DC)

Definitely need a recruiter like Chaney and you’ve gotta think that his playing experience could make him a serviceable coach at least.

Advertisement
Back