Let me tell you a little bit about Jamar Cheney

Advertisement
Are we talking about the same Chaney that played a couple of yrs in the NFL after being drafted in the 7th round?

His HS coaching record wasn’t that great, correct? Never coached before. Regarding recruiting, he was a Def Analyst & I’m hearing he was part of the reason UF “almost” got such & such player.

Holla at me @emoney18 & @Liberty City El.

I need to know y this is a great hiring possibility.
He was the equivalent of DVD for UF as a personnel recruiting director & because of his time coaching at Centennial he’s patched in with all the recruits in that region including 5-star Safety Kamari Wilson who we’re heavily after & James Monds III as well.

He’s not a grizzled experienced vet as a LB’s coach, but I don’t think that matters as of now, Manny clearly wants a recruiter at LB given both TWill & Chaney are basically young energetic guys who are heralded as very good recruiters on the trail.

I’m not against that strategy because we’ve suffered greatly for the last 5 years with having mediocre LB recruiting, so now Manny is trying to find some guys who can really sell on Defense & imo there’s nothing wrong with that.

Advertisement
He was the equivalent of DVD for UF as a personnel recruiting director & because of his time coaching at Centennial he’s patched in with all the recruits in that region including 5-star Safety Kamari Wilson who we’re heavily after & James Monds III as well.

He’s not a grizzled experienced vet as a LB’s coach, but I don’t think that matters as of now, Manny clearly wants a recruiter at LB given both TWill & Chaney are basically young energetic guys who are heralded as very good recruiters on the trail.

I’m not against that strategy because we’ve suffered greatly for the last 5 years with having mediocre LB recruiting, so now Manny is trying to find some guys who can really sell on Defense & imo there’s nothing wrong with that.

im fine w that. we need more talent across the board

Advertisement

If El's with it.......count me in!

So El, level w/ me....

We had Rumph, yeah? Rumph had connections, yeah?

U know what my g; if ur cool w it, I’m “cool” w/ it. I feel what u guys r saying regarding recruiting, although I’m not sure why Miss St didn’t benefit from his “almost” at UF; but we also have had our guys completely lost at the LB position.

We’ll see. In 2021, I’m all about open mindedness.

I know he was a 7th round pick. I know his bio. My boy is a Philly fan;

I said he never coached the position, nor has he been an on field coach. His only coaching was high school, where even then it was lack luster in results.

I’m not getting the buzz.
Rell, I hear many posters here and elsewhere question a person ability to coach based on their days as a player. Is that you r position? Not ragging you, just curious.

Advertisement
Rell, I hear many posters here and elsewhere question a person ability to coach based on their days as a player. Is that you r position? Not ragging you, just curious.

Oh for sure, bro. Lol. That’s definitely my position. Too many examples. Then again, the guys who weren’t stars that become coaches tend to do well b/c they are used as scouts during practice & indirectly become apart of the game plan. Stars, on the other hand, tend to be poor coaches imo. Simply; it’s hard for them to try to instill in a player they are coaching what they naturally possess.

But there’s exceptions to every rule, my friend.

Oh for sure, bro. Lol. That’s definitely my position. Too many examples. Then again, the guys who weren’t stars that become coaches tend to do well b/c they are used as scouts during practice & indirectly become apart of the game plan. Stars, on the other hand, tend to be poor coaches imo. Simply; it’s hard for them to try to instill in a player they are coaching what they naturally possess.

But there’s exceptions to every rule, my friend.
Gotcha. I can't imagine Nick Saban and Bill Belichek being star players. And I like to use the example of Pat Riley, while he was a decent player he was far from a star but he, like Saban and Belichek learned how to build championship teams.

My position: The cerebral, and perhaps non-star players make the best coaches. But as you stated, there are exceptions to every rule.

Advertisement
Sounds like Diaz would earn his second mini offseason trophy again if this is the move.
H08ae9db4c19349c980cb8817247ce7207.jpg

There are only a handful of coaches who are truly elite developers and recruiters. Those guys ascend to the highest of highs in the sport rather rapidly. The vast, vast majority are really only truly special at one or the other. And if I have to choose, as a LB coach, give me the elite recruiter over the elite developer. Talent wins out in the end.

Advertisement
Back