Let me tell you a little bit about Jamar Cheney

Peterson or Chaney.....both would bring strengths the table. Like that Peterson has worked with T R

Chaney hire could be gold if he learns from developers like Simpson and T Rob and applies to LB room.

He and DVD could be nasty on the local scene.

Advertisement
He was the equivalent of DVD for UF as a personnel recruiting director & because of his time coaching at Centennial he’s patched in with all the recruits in that region including 5-star Safety Kamari Wilson who we’re heavily after & James Monds III as well.

He’s not a grizzled experienced vet as a LB’s coach, but I don’t think that matters as of now, Manny clearly wants a recruiter at LB given both TWill & Chaney are basically young energetic guys who are heralded as very good recruiters on the trail.

I’m not against that strategy because we’ve suffered greatly for the last 5 years with having mediocre LB recruiting, so now Manny is trying to find some guys who can really sell on Defense & imo there’s nothing wrong with that.
If you were Manny given the recent developments, who’s the top 3 you would reach out to to gauge interest? Would Chaney be one especially with his recruiting chops in Florida? Or would you rather a developer of talent then recruiter second mate?

If you were Manny given the recent developments, who’s the top 3 you would reach out to to gauge interest? Would Chaney be one especially with his recruiting chops in Florida? Or would you rather a developer of talent then recruiter second mate?
My 3 would be Chaney, Gillespie from Tulsa & Devin Bush who's running recruiting at Ole Miss.

Advertisement
I know he was a 7th round pick. I know his bio. My boy is a Philly fan;

I said he never coached the position, nor has he been an on field coach. His only coaching was high school, where even then it was lack luster in results.

I’m not getting the buzz.
I get what you're saying, where's the LB development going to come from. But I think the play here is for his recruiting acumen and development is being placed as 2nd priority. We weren't exactly horrible at LB with Shaq and Pinckney, we were solid but the room wasn't getting stocked up due to misses at LB in recruiting. Those misses won't happen with Chaney, TRob and DVD in living rooms. Big upgrade from Diaz, Rumph, and Banda in living rooms. I'm good with this hire.

Advertisement
Linebacker play has been **** poor overall since coach diaz got here, so whoever comes in, and can figure out how to use the linebackers in this scheme the best, I'm sure they can't be worst than the last 5 years. Again, alot of it falls on the scheme.

Chaney sounds like he can recruit. Nice! But can coach and develop talent? The last two LB coaches (Diaz and Baker) could not recruit the position so Chaney would be an immediate improvement in that regard. But, will the talent live up to its potential?

Also, why did he leave UiF?

C90281C7-3109-419B-AA4C-EAC82B1B2100.gif

There are only a handful of coaches who are truly elite developers and recruiters. Those guys ascend to the highest of highs in the sport rather rapidly. The vast, vast majority are really only truly special at one or the other. And if I have to choose, as a LB coach, give me the elite recruiter over the elite developer. Talent wins out in the end.
Most of the time yes, because on the other side of the spectrum you have the Wisconsin super steady LB types who are barely 3* recruits but wind up fringe All-Conference players in the Big Ten. Ideal guy is the guy we just lost but it's obvious why Malzahn had UCF to break open the bank AND turn the keys of the DEF over to him...developer AND elite recruiter gives you the chance to call your own DEF especially when you've worked together before. Lost in all this is TWill prob gets to put together some if not all of his own staff. So one vs the other in terms of Talent Developer vs Talent Attainment is a tricky thing to project as to what's more important...in our case I agree with LCE and others that we need to attain the talent and we have a 5yr history outside of 2020 that we can get our LBs to produce.

Advertisement
Peterson or Chaney.....both would bring strengths the table. Like that Peterson has worked with T R

Chaney hire could be gold if he learns from developers like Simpson and T Rob and applies to LB room.

He and DVD could be nasty on the local scene.

Peterson was a tough SOB at UF, helluva player (and that pains me to say that)..but, wasn’t he part of the defensive staff at USCe that was the 105th ranked defense? Listen, I’m not trying to be hyper critical, but here’s my troubling part of Peterson; USCe ranked 95th in rushing defense. He’s been at USCe for 5 yrs, so here’s the dilemma:

1. Was it recruiting? We based our poor LB play on recruiting, so how is he as a recruiter?

2. Was it coaching?

And before we think ‘20 was an anomaly, here’s USCe’s defensive rankings since 2016:

2016 - 65th total / 90th rushing
2017 - 44th total / 39th rushing
2018 - 89th total / 62nd rushing
2019 - 70th total / 67th rushing

Now why am I focus on rushing vs. passing rank? Well, typically ur LBs are a true cog in rushing defense. We saw the deterioration of our rush defense this yr, once we lost Shaq, Pinckney, & Finley. The Ravens were sick against the run w/ Lewis & Boulware, My Bears sick w/ Urlacher & Briggs, The New Steele Curtain w/ Lloyd & Green, etc. etc.

So my question w/ Peterson is, albeit he was/is the OLB coach at USCe for 5 yrs, why were they “this” poor? I don’t wanna hear it’s b/c it’s South Carolina, b/c the “Ole Ball Coach had the the following before Muschamp took over (looking at the last 5 yrs):

Had a top 20 total defense & top 40 rushing defense in 3 of the last 5 (disclaimer, the last two yrs the total defense was deplorable & never got better).

Just saying; two names....one green, one from a **** poor defense for 5 yrs. We ain’t got no other names? Like, why can’t we have a coach who can recruit?? Lol.

There are only a handful of coaches who are truly elite developers and recruiters. Those guys ascend to the highest of highs in the sport rather rapidly. The vast, vast majority are really only truly special at one or the other. And if I have to choose, as a LB coach, give me the elite recruiter over the elite developer. Talent wins out in the end.

Hmmm; the latter part of ur statement, I’m conflicted on. Yes, talent wins....but we’ve had talent, more than most w/o the results. But, speaking strictly from the LB recruiting portion, we’ve been sorely lacking.

Advertisement
Hmmm; the latter part of ur statement, I’m conflicted on. Yes, talent wins....but we’ve had talent, more than most w/o the results. But, speaking strictly from the LB recruiting portion, we’ve been sorely lacking.
Talent at LB has been weak tho. Using the shaq and mike being starters for years shît as a excuse back fired. You should’ve had 2 more ballers behind them ready to take over when they left.

Advertisement
Back