Let’s talk wide receivers

All this talk sounds very pre Miami vs LSU 2018 like. I am not saying it'll turn out that way but there was some of the same confidence in here and deductive reasoning
What. We were the ranked team and favored at a neutral site game after a historically good year. There was blindness but it was backed by most people.

This year we are lower ranked, not favored, at their place. Most people on this site think we lose to TAMU. What’s the correlation?

Advertisement
What. We were the ranked team and favored at a neutral site game after a historically good year. There was blindness but it was backed by most people.

This year we are lower ranked, not favored, at their place. Most people on this site think we lose to TAMU. What’s the correlation?
Plenty of correlation in the way people are talking about Texas A$M and their lack of this or that. I guess I could have clarified that part. I feel like some of the same underselling people did of LSU is what people are doing now with Jimbo's squad

Plenty of correlation in the way people are talking about Texas A$M and their lack of this or that. I guess I could have clarified that part. I feel like some of the same underselling people did of LSU is what people are doing now with Jimbo's squad
Gotcha. I think the mood vs TAMU is drastically different than the mood vs LSU. That one was “how do we lose?” this is “how can we win?” Personally I also don’t expect to win, so maybe I’m weighting my bias into the weather vane.

All this talk sounds very pre Miami vs LSU 2018 like

Wait a second.

That 2018 Miami team finished 105th in the country on offense. Your QB is Rosier, your RB is DJ Dallas, and your best receiver is Jeff Thomas (once Ahmmon went down). I'm not here to say we're going to beat anybody but it's highly unlikely we have the offensive struggles that team had.

Wait a second.

That 2018 Miami team finished 105th in the country on offense. Your QB is Rosier, your RB is DJ Dallas, and your best receiver is Jeff Thomas (once Ahmmon went down). I'm not here to say we're going to beat anybody but it's highly unlikely we have the offensive struggles that team had.
Right but everyone here downplayed Burrow. Downplayed their offense, defense etc. There is alot of that same talk.

Advertisement
Right but everyone here downplayed Burrow. Downplayed their offense, defense etc. There is alot of that same talk.
To put it in perspective I understand why people are saying it’s too soon to say Haynes king is good as he hasn’t played enough yet. But A&M beat Bama with a guy Haynes was considered miles better than by that coaching staff. Around that way they think they win that game a little cleaner with Haynes. So we’ll see

Last edited:

Again though, that's not a great argument. Burrow wasn't actually good in 2018 and he certainly didn't play well in our game. He went 11-24 with 140 yards. Their offense only had 296 yards, scored 2 TD's, and kicked 4 FG's.

If I told you today we can hold A&M to under 300 yards, 2 offensive TD's, and 4 FG's are you taking that?

Again though, that's not a great argument. Burrow wasn't actually good in 2018 and he certainly didn't play well in our game. He went 11-24 with 140 yards. Their offense only had 296 yards, scored 2 TD's, and kicked 4 FG's.

If I told you today we can hold A&M to under 300 yards, 2 offensive TD's, and 4 FG's are you taking that?
LSU scored 20 offensive points in the first half and then basically sat on the ball the entire second half cuz they knew we had no chance of coming back. they also kicked a FG from the 3 yard line on their second possession of the second half. we got our *** kicked on both sides of the ball in that game, that box score is a lie.

If the A&M game is anything like that LSU game I’m going to be absolutely disgusted. They absolutely killed us and the box score doesn’t tell the full story if you actually watched the game.

Advertisement
I felt there was no better time than now to discuss the pink elephant in the room. Yes….I’m talking the wr’s. I had a big part in creating this narrative in early spring. At that time me and a certain poster had a disagreement about the wr group , the poster mentioned he had heard the wr’s were balling. I told him it’s more like the opposite , they’re struggling, we had quite the battle lol. So since I had a small hand in creating this narrative figured it’s only right I pull everyone back off the life boat…..FOR NOW!!

First let’s fact check….are some wr’s dropping balls ? Yes….too many and it’s unacceptable. Are guys having issues picking up the offense ? Yes. Is there concerns about this group going into the season? YES!! Is X far and away the most consistent performer since spring? Yes.

Now let’s get to the part that doesn’t add up, these same guys that are dropping passes now wasn’t doing it last year. At practice or in games. JG was returning punts as a true Fr and was the most consistent guy the entire year. You don’t put guys with suspect hands back for the most hectic , dangerous play in football. Theres literally eleven guys flying down hill and you only have a split second to make up your mind.

So the question I have his why did this suddenly become a major issue? Here’s some of my theories.

1. Guys are thinking more than playing. They went from a elementary style offense which is known for easy route concepts and even easier playbook to learn. The whole point of that O was to not think, just play and fast. This year it went to a college level playbook and it’s busting their asses. Instead of just running a route , putting your foot in the dirt breaking that thing off you’re unsure, maybe even looking at hashes so know where to round it off or just not confident in the assignment / play call.

2. They’re actually facing a really good defense every day, I’ve been told by too many people to count this is as legit of a defense we’ve had in a minute. Big , fast and very physical. Especially a secondary who’s finally allowed to rough up wr’s off the line , which is hurting clean get offs. That leads to no separation. That’s not a good equation for success when most of the wr’s are kinda light in the ***. The one guy giving the D issues is X who’s 5’10 200.

3. Young guys pressing. We forget majority of these guys are getting their first real serious burn and are being asked to be more than role players. JG, RB and BS was the core that was being expected to take this group into the future. It’s different when you aren’t the fourth , fifth or sixth option.

4. Maybe they just aren’t as good as their ranking or as good as we thought they were. The rankings and us as fans overvalued this group.

So now the question is can coaches do anything to take the pressure off or put them in better situations? @LuCane and myself both mentioned that maybe Gattis could implement a little bit of what Lashlee was doing towards the end of last season. Ease up the playbook ,possibly throw in some of the route concepts and wider splits, which gives them more space to work with. I’m willing to bet they’re pressing at this point and as I said it’s likely mental. Simplifying things has been known to work, I’ve seen it too many times to count.

I’m not ready to throw the season away just yet even though I know wr is a concern. Confidence is a weird thing after guys make some plays when bullets start flying. They won’t face a better defense during the season , so it’s all down hill week one.

All we need is this group to be consistent, thats it. Not Andre J, Santana or even Rambo. Consistent Everyone play their role.

Imo we won’t see any 18 % drop rates this year like a couple guys who are no longer here.

Great post (I know I am late here...)

Why does this remind me of 2019 when the players complained that Dan Enos' offense was too complicated, and ran him out of town? I don't think Gattis will be ran outa town or anything, but I thought Enos ran a similar offense, with a lot of motion and power, and the players on the outside really did not grasp it well.

Wait a second.

Biggest issue with that 2018 offense was not having an actual OC that would GAME PLAN for each opponent. Richt just took the approach that the same 6-8 plays would work against anyone if they were executed properly. He even stated that. One of the few games he game planned for was ND. Richt killed us in 2018 ... it was brutal.

But A&M beat Bama with a guy Haynes was considered miles better than but that coaching staff. Around that way they think they win that game a little cleaner with Haynes. So we’ll see

Again, not saying we'll win but it's really difficult to judge A&M and how good they'll be. They have bizarre seasons. The teams A&M beat last year:

Kent State 7-6
Colorado 4-8
New Mexico 3-9
Bama 12-1
Missouri 6-6
South Car 6-6
Auburn 6-6
Prairie View 7-5

They lost to:

Arkansas 8-4
Miss St 7-5
Ole Miss 10-2
LSU 6-6

That's a really weird season to unwrap.

Advertisement

LSU also lived in our half of the field the first half due to multiple atrocious punts.

Burrow wasn't that good in 2018, he wasn't why they beat us. 2019? He was incredible.
He didn't need to be. They ran the ball well enough and their defense did the rest. If he was asked to throw the ball to win that game he would have done so

If he was asked to throw the ball to win that game he would have done so

He was asked to throw the ball 24 times and he only completed 11 of those passes. Nobody was going to rely on him.

2018 Burrow threw for under 200 yards 7 times that season. You need to separate 2018 Burrow from 2019 Burrow because they might as well be two different human beings.

Advertisement
Burrow was not good before that game. He was an underwhelming transfer who couldn’t see the field at OSU. Like I have a DM saved I sent someone after it saying, “I mean we made Joe Burrow look good”.

I have a higher opinion of Haynes King at this moment than I did of Joe Burrow before that season.

EDIT: sorry, you’ve already been dog piled on this. Didn’t mean to add to it.

Burrow was not good before that game. He was an underwhelming transfer who couldn’t see the field at OSU. Like I have a DM saved I sent someone after it saying, “I mean we made Joe Burrow look good”.

I have a higher opinion of Haynes King at this moment than I did of Joe Burrow before that season.

EDIT: sorry, you’ve already been dog piled on this. Didn’t mean to add to it.
I knew nothing of Joe prior and don’t know much about the A$M qb. Again my point is how some people are dismissing much of A&M outside of a few players they know

Wait a second.

That was known at the end of the season. The same squad that won the Coastal beat a ranked VT AND ND.

Advertisement
Back