Let’s talk wide receivers

Advertisement
Y’all are getting dangerously close to overrating TVD. Y’all haven’t done it yet. But y’all are getting close. And remember before you attack, I was the first one on his hype train when the board thought Garcia was better
Guilty as charged. I did the same thing with DK last year and even before the injury I was disappointed in his play likely from overhyping him. I feel even better about TVD than I did about DK but he could absolutely disappoint. We do have to keep our expectations for him within the galaxy.

I see a lot of ppl mentioning Mallory as the savior to the WR drops.

Ppl forget that he struggled immensely with drops last season. Pretty sure he single handedly cost us a game with his drops.

You're not hearing it in camp, bc hes been held out a lot.

Hopefully he has fixed the drops issue of last season. It seemed to be mental imo.

I'm just saying....
Not only Mallory, its being sold that last year guys didnt have this issue but Big meanie Gattis is scaring them into dropping Passes.. The revisionist is funny because we were all up in arms last year with drops also, even our lead guys (Rambo and Harley) dropped passes last year, esp early on.. This narrative is crazyyyy.. Games only 11 days away.. Im interested to see what the offense looks like, we have too much of offensive braintrust for it to be an issue I think but Gattis coaching WR being an issue? He has a decent track record, I just dont see it.. Guys were dropping passes last year too, even if some "forgot"

https://247sports.com/college/miami...s-to-plague-Miamis-offense-in-2021-172446874/

Dropping catchable passes continues to plague Miami's offense in 2021​

“According to Pro Football Focus Miami has dropped 16 passes this season, which is tied for the second most amongst Power Five schools along with Maryland, Auburn, and Mississippi State.”
Tight end Will Mallory has dropped four passes this season for a drop percentage of 30 percent, which leads all Power Five players with at least 15 targets.

Wide receivers Mike Harley (3), Xavier Restrepo (2), Key’Shawn Smith (2), and Charleston Rambo (2) all have multiple drops on the year.

Advertisement
Serious question, if the money is close how can these local WRs not want to come here? How can Hykeem and Innis look at this depth chart and not start drooling? Mind boggling to me

Serious question, if the money is close how can these local WRs not want to come here? How can Hykeem and Innis look at this depth chart and not start drooling? Mind boggling to me
Well Osu pumps out WR's every year, they win, and they have the best WR's coach in the country. Can't blame Innis for that if we are being honest.

Advertisement
I see a lot of ppl mentioning Mallory as the savior to the WR drops.

Ppl forget that he struggled immensely with drops last season. Pretty sure he single handedly cost us a game with his drops.

You're not hearing it in camp, bc hes been held out a lot.

Hopefully he has fixed the drops issue of last season. It seemed to be mental imo.

I'm just saying....
He fixed his drops during the season

But your point is perfect for this discussion

Dude was killing us with drops for years and then suddenly…boom. He was making amazing catches and I don’t remember him dropping anything the second half of the season

And he was a huge weapon for us down the stretch. Like you said IF he can continue to hang on to the ball he gives a threat to stretch the field that is pretty unique (all of our TEs really)

That play that got called back….the opponent is escaping me at the moment but that was one of the best runs by a TE I’ve ever seen

Anyway, point being drops by these guys at this point can certainly be fixed so I’m not too concerned at the moment

We will see though

Last edited:
Not worried about the wr's, at least not yet. Lot of weeping and knashing of teeth and we haven't played a game yet. If we're dropping too many balls in the 1st 2 games, then I'll get worried.

Advertisement
That’s where I differ some and the reason I made this thread. I don’t think he has to “ drag” this wr core. I expect WM and Arroyo to the on the field a lot. Same with Rooster and Parrish. All of those guys will be favored in their matchups most times. Rb’s vs Lb’s and Te’s vs Lb’s or S’s. X in the slot will be a problem for most nickels. I keep mentioning “do it by committee and know your role“ for a reason. KS has proven he can run by people , he ran by a Clemson cb I believe his first play as a Fr. So you gotta respect that aspect. Redding could be the physical guy wr needed to win some occasional 1 v 1’s . Brinson and George the intermediate guys. No wr will be asked to be Rambo. Imo it’ll be an inside out type offense , not nearly as dependent on deep shots as last year. We’ll pick our spots
I think against majority of our comp they’ll be fine. They get matched up with the elites how do you think they hold up? Or will the scheme do the lifting? Of course I know the answer

As a group, WR stock is a bit low, but I'm buying now. Gattis gonna figure out what groups to play when including multiple TEs when needed. If X and 2-3 others truly step up along with the TE group, we're going to be fine. High priority in crooting WRs.

Advertisement
@Dwinstitles Bro you know I agree with you like 99% of time. You make some valid points here but I have to disagree with your premise that they are all jags.

Do we have a Calvin Ridley, Amari Cooper, Jameson Williams, Ja'marr Chase, Tee Higgins or Devonta Smith? No we likely don't but it isn't necessary to have a WR corps consisting of those types to have an explosive high scoring college offense. The guys we have may nokt be Andre Johnson or Ahmon Richards but they are plenty talented and certainly not jags. I'm not saying that I don't agree with you in that we need to get better there and recruit the 5 star AA type guys. We do need to and we will. My point is that the guys we have should be more than enough to run the type of offense we want to see.

Jacolby George
Romello Brinson
Brashard Smith
Frank Ladson
Michael Redding
Xavier Restrepo
Keyshawn Smith
Isaiah Horton
Colby Young

There is plenty of talent on this list but for the most part this is a young and relatively inexperienced group who are being asked to learn a fairly complex college level system after being in Lashlee's very simple and basic offense. Now for the first time in most of their careers they are being asked to think and process a good amount of information. Like @Cribby explained, the offense Gattis runs is much more complex and puts the onus of getting open much more on the individual receiver as opposed to the scheme. It was bound to take some time. Now, the question of whether or not this offense is a good fit for UM remains to be seen. I think it can work very well but there will be growing pains. Gattis has been described as an OC who tailors his approach to his players. We will see what types of adjustments that Gattis believes are called for.
I'm not going to sit here and say they are jags.....the guys got some talent but if u think those guys are going to eat vs the elites man we in trouble. Vs ACC play I think they can eat but to consistently get open vs the teams we are trying to reach won't be easy. We need those Cooper Ridley's and Richards.

we’d likely get what 99% of teams get when they play the elites. Thankfully there’s only a handful of those teams.
What worries me with Texas 8&4 is that @SouthParkCane who is DEEP into anything texas football said that secondary was ELITE, Big and Physical ( NO PAUSE FOOK THEM KIDS). If that is the case, with such little RB depth that game looks like it can get out of hand. Cant have drops like that being a constant thing. If they think our DBS are physical in practice, imagine in a prime time game on the road with a packed stadium and an elite physical backfield?

TVD can have the best ball placement ever, but those drops will kill drives. And if we are to win we will have to make contested plays.

That is why I'm at 9/3 or 8-4. It sucks that we are wasting this year with this QB and we don't have a true weapon that can make defenses pay. I hope I am wrong.

I was focusing on Brinson not attacking the ball at its highest point. Maybe one day we'll hire a WR coach who emphasizes catching balls with your hands and not your body.
Maybe we just have athletes rather than WRs, this is a 2nd waiting for the ball to come to him

What worries me with Texas 8&4 is that @SouthParkCane who is DEEP into anything texas football said that secondary was ELITE, Big and Physical ( NO PAUSE FOOK THEM KIDS). If that is the case, with such little RB depth that game looks like it can get out of hand. Cant have drops like that being a constant thing. If they think our DBS are physical in practice, imagine in a prime time game on the road with a packed stadium and an elite physical backfield?

TVD can have the best ball placement ever, but those drops will kill drives. And if we are to win we will have to make contested plays.

That is why I'm at 9/3 or 8-4. It sucks that we are wasting this year with this QB and we don't have a true weapon that can make defenses pay. I hope I am wrong.
We can totally beat them man. But we’re gonna have to commit to the pass. The secondary is good but they can be had vertically. The intermediate stuff is going to be hard to come buy with that stud safety likely covering tight ends that game. But I’m more than positive Keyshawn can run past anybody they have and brashard smith can be a problem for them in space. You go in there trying to run the ball all night expect some sadness

Advertisement
Back