Let’s talk wide receivers

Ask yourself this....is that Lashlee simple "even ah caveman can do it" offensive scheme gonna beat the Clemson's or Bama's or UGA's with our current talent?
Nobody’s scheme is going to beat those teams with our current talent. Gattis’ offense got crushed by Georgia in the playoffs. If we switched coaches with Alabama, they’d still win. What we need to focus on right now is beating the UNCs, UVAs and FSUs on our schedule while compiling more talent through recruiting. A great scheme can only make up for so much talent disparity.

Advertisement
my point being, if he can run this offense with Michigan. He can also run it here. It’s as if our fans assume our kids are less smart than kids up north or something. I understand we won’t throw 10 hitches a game to the outside receiver, but it can work and kids have to buy in

The concern was that he didn't do it consistently. The difference between good and great is how much you improve on weaknesses. He was good last year but everyone here myself included expects him to be great this year.
Consistency is what takes you from good to great and that normally takes some time. What we know is he made an enormous jump from his first start to his last. Improving weekly and looking nothing like the rattled first time starter against UVA. And even that game he put us in position to win. That’s the one constant with him, no matter how bad he plays or how bad things look he always finds a way to do that. That’s an intangible most kids lack. Especially in their first starts.

Being more consistent is the next step. Missing random easy throws and occasionally forcing stuff is the areas I’d like to see improvement. The short / intermediate stuff needs to be a layup. Other than that I love what we have , as a player and even more as a leader. NC State was all the proof I needed, confidence like that at that stage is either delusion or you’re that dude. He’s that dude and kids will follow that.

Last edited:
my point being, if he can run this offense with Michigan. He can also run it here. It’s as if our fans assume our kids are less smart than kids up north or something. I understand we won’t throw 10 hitches a game to the outside receiver, but it can work and kids have to buy in
It’s a fact kids are struggling with the playbook. It’s a dramatic change in scheme. We went from one extreme to the other. It makes sense.

We don't know what the Offense will look like yet. The doom and gloomers expect us to be in I-formation for 4 quarters.

Advertisement
For what it's worth, Joe Z said on Joe Rose this morning that he thought the starters (or top 3) would be Restrepo, K. Smith and Brashard Smith.

It’s a fact kids are struggling with the playbook. It’s a dramatic change in scheme. We went from one extreme to the other. It makes sense.
I get the initial struggle. I just don’t see it being the end all excuse. That’s not good if there’s still a disconnect mid way into the season

Consistency is what takes you from good to great and that normally takes some time. What we know is he made an enormous jump from his first start to his last. Improving weekly and looking nothing like the rattled first time starter against UVA. And even that game he put us in position to win. That’s the one constant with him, no matter how bad he plays or how bad things look he always finds a way to do that. That’s an intangible most kids lack. Especially in their first starts.

Being more consistent is the next step. Missing random easy throws and occasionally forcing stuff is the areas I’d like to see improvement. The short / intermediate stuff needs to be a layup. Other than that I love what we have , as a player and even more as a leader. NC State was all the proof I needed, confidence like that at that stage is either delusion or you’re that dude. He’s that dude kids will follow that.
The funny thing is people won't disagree with this but it's almost exactly what I said. I think the trick is to add some praise to spoon feed the children around here.

Last edited:
I’ve mentioned this before. I am not an insider and all I have seen is what the typical fan has seen is short clips. What I see with Gattis is an overbearing bit picking perfectionist. The kids can’t go through drills without being critiqued on every single thing. I could be wrong and it’s a very short sample of what I have seen on clips everyone else has seen but that is my take. The kids need tough coaching for sure but he seems to be over the top trying too hard to be the expert.
So my guess is they are thinking entirely too much about the route/foot work etc and not entirely focused on playing ball. That’s my opinion.
Lol, You ever seen Curtis Johnson coach?

Advertisement
It’s a big issue whenever a team has a drastic change in offensive philosophy. It’s not that our players can’t learn it, it’s that it takes time to learn it. Gattis’ first two seasons at Michigan were very much a mixed bag. They did some thing well and were really bad at others. It took three seasons before they really clicked.

Who said they were getting coached too hard ?
Even in this thread we got guys saying Gattis is "micromanaging","overbearing", "nitpicky".. Those are all negative descriptive words because he is teaching these guys to run precise routes, coming from an air raid type passing attack I would think this would be expected as air raid is known for not having to be precise. I know I am dating myself but I laugh because I will forever remember Curtis Johnson on greentree riding them boys HARD, and him standing right where the players had to break routes and making them do it again and again. His players LOVED him for it..

These boys go from country club to some real coaching and fans that are used to 7-5 records want to hate without even seeing the results first, lol..

Advertisement
Can anyone elaborate on the type of offenses being run by south Florida high schools?

Didn’t seem like the Michigan receivers had any trouble picking up the offense.

The Patriots always place an emphasis on drafting smart players, maybe we just haven’t been recruiting the guys with the necessary mental capacity to operate in college offenses. Hopefully Alonzo can help with that.

At the end of the day, when you’re a 4 star type dude on scholarship there is zero excuse for not being able to pick up the offense unless you’re a true freshman. By the second year you should have study habits and techniques you can lean on to learn.

Anyone know if Brashard is working in at Z or just in the slot? I don't see any reason why he can't play on the outside.

Y’all are getting dangerously close to overrating TVD. Y’all haven’t done it yet. But y’all are getting close. And remember before you attack, I was the first one on his hype train when the board thought Garcia was better
I expect big things from TVD but he still has some growing to do and alot to prove. He needs to be able to elevate his play and play a FULL game, not half game turn it up after multiple turnovers.. He has to put team on his back in college station if he is the heisman caliber player people want him to be

Advertisement
Even in this thread we got guys saying Gattis is "micromanaging","overbearing", "nitpicky".. Those are all negative descriptive words because he is teaching these guys to run precise routes, coming from an air raid type passing attack I would think this would be expected as air raid is known for not having to be precise. I know I am dating myself but I laugh because I will forever remember Curtis Johnson on greentree riding them boys HARD, and him standing right where the players had to break routes and making them do it again and again. His players LOVED him for it..

These boys go from country club to some real coaching and fans that are used to 7-5 records want to hate without even seeing the results first, lol..
^^^ yup

Y’all are getting dangerously close to overrating TVD. Y’all haven’t done it yet. But y’all are getting close. And remember before you attack, I was the first one on his hype train when the board thought Garcia was better
Whats overhype? I’d say majority of the board doesn’t think he’ll win a Heisman or be the top pick in the draft. Do you think 3000-3500 yds 30-32 Td and 10-12 Int is overhype ? That’s the area I see.

Can anyone elaborate on the type of offenses being run by south Florida high schools?

Didn’t seem like the Michigan receivers had any trouble picking up the offense.

The Patriots always place an emphasis on drafting smart players, maybe we just haven’t been recruiting the guys with the necessary mental capacity to operate in college offenses. Hopefully Alonzo can help with that.

At the end of the day, when you’re a 4 star type dude on scholarship there is zero excuse for not being able to pick up the offense unless you’re a true freshman. By the second year you should have study habits and techniques you can lean on to learn.
Don't think it has much to do with HS although coaching down here is putrid overall.

Just some basic differences between Lashlee and Gattis. A guy like K smith played exclusively on one side of the field (L/R air raid principle) vs Gattis who uses a more traditional approach of X/Y/Z all flipping sides of the field based on formation.

Well Cooney is now spending a lot of time with the wr’s too. Which is his specialty. That’s not micromanaging. Secondly some kids don’t react to nitpicking and constantly crap talking. Some need positive reinforcement. I think there’s a line and great coaches know how to walk it. What I do know is guys that wasn’t dropping balls last spring and fall are dropping them now. None of these guys had that rep coming in.

Advertisement
Back