Let’s talk wide receivers

Advertisement
Posted this on sunday and Mr Miami que did face palm emoji.
Threaten Talladega Nights GIF

Advertisement
Easy answer the wrs we recruited are jags. If I was an NFL guy I ain't drafting none of em. Can't wait till we start getting savages again Julio Jones Andre Johnson types. I expect this group to struggle never understood why everyone was in love with most of em like they were godly. I do like X and B Smith that's it. I want wr recruits from HS that OSU and Bama want. Bring me that

Additionally, a lack of #1 and unproven WR core impacts our 1st round hopeful at QB. This is a big deal when we look to play the two teams that we can't out talent and have NFL defensive lines and need our top tier signal caller to be a difference maker.

You know this receiving core is looking bottom of the barrel when Master Cribby has to create an entire thread on the issue a week and change away from season opener

Have to hope these dudes are gamers
When the guys who dropped the most passes at practice last year aren’t here I scratch my head. The current guys wasn‘t on the list. That’s weird.

Easy answer the wrs we recruited are jags. If I was an NFL guy I ain't drafting none of em. Can't wait till we start getting savages again Julio Jones Andre Johnson types. I expect this group to struggle never understood why everyone was in love with most of em like they were godly. I do like X and B Smith that's it. I want wr recruits from HS that OSU and Bama want. Bring me that
So guys that made plays as Fr and didn’t drop passes suddenly can’t make plays and are dropping passes? That’s a jag? Respectfully there’s alot more to this than calling people jags or elite after five minutes of being on campus.

Advertisement
That’s the easy way out of the problem. It’s the coordinators job to get the most out of these kids… especially if the coordinator is the WR coach. These kids were good in HS and now they are Jags?

Flexing out the TEs and getting creative with 12 looks would do wonders for this offense I would imagine. WRs may struggle against A&M and Clemson but I imagine they look fine against the ACC comp

“They won’t face a better defense during the season”

You think our D is better then Clemson’s?
If by some chance our D is better than theirs, this is a 10-2 team. That’s going to be an elite unit on paper, and while Goodwin has quite the pair of shoes to fill in replacing Venables, there’s a boatload of talent to work with…especially with Breese coming back on the line.

Last edited:
Advertisement
That’s why I was skeptical with bringing in a OC like Gattis. The same **** happened with Enos, any OC that wants to run a pro style and complex attack at Miami should be fired immediately. I went to the first spring game with Enos and 80% of the players were lost and having to be guided to their spots by position coaches. This years spring game wasn’t as bad but the offense was boring and slow as fck. No explosion whatsoever.

Gattis is a great OC and coach no doubt, but he’s definitely not a fit here in my opinion. At Miami, it should be a no brainer to run a simple spread yet balanced offense predicated on space and speed. We were clamoring for the spread for a decade and we finally got a glimpse of its effectiveness last year when King went down and Lashlee decided to let TVD air it out. We were winning games by simply outscoring our opponents. Now when Mario comes in everyone suddenly forgets about it and decides to give Mario the benefit of the doubt just because. I’m just letting y’all know now, this offense will not be very good and expect the defense to carry the team. Thankfully we have an outstanding QB, because if it wasn’t for that we would really be doomed.

Advertisement
I felt there was no better time than now to discuss the pink elephant in the room. Yes….I’m talking the wr’s. I had a big part in creating this narrative in early spring. At that time me and a certain poster had a disagreement about the wr group , the poster mentioned he had heard the wr’s were balling. I told him it’s quite the opposite , they’re struggling, we had quite the battle lol. So since I had a small hand in creating this narrative figured it’s only right I pull everyone back off the life boat…..FOR NOW!!

First let’s fact check….are some wr’s dropping balls ? Yes….too many and it’s unacceptable. Are guys having issues picking up the offense ? Yes. Is there concerns about this group going into the season? YES!! Is X far and away the most consistent performer since spring? Yes.

Now let’s get to the part that doesn’t add up, these same guys that are dropping passes now wasn’t doing it last year. At practice or in games. JG was returning punts as a true Fr and was the most consistent guy the entire year. You don’t put guys with suspect hands back for the most hectic , dangerous play in football. Theres literally eleven guys flying down hill and you only have a split second to make up your mind.

So the question I have his why did this suddenly become a major issue? Here’s some of my theories.

1. Guys are thinking more than playing. They went from a elementary style offense which is known for easy route concepts and even easier playbook to learn. The whole point of that O was to not think, just play and fast. This year it went to a college level playbook and it’s busting their asses. Instead of just running a route , putting your foot in the dirt breaking that thing off you’re unsure, maybe even looking at hashes where to round route the off or not confident in the assignment / play call.

2. They’re actually facing a really good defense every day, I’ve been told by too many people to count this is as legit of a defense we’ve had in a minute. Big , fast and very physical. Especially a secondary who’s finally allowed to rough up wr’s off the line , which is hurting clean get offs. That leads to no separation. That’s not a good equation for success when most of the wr’s are kinda light in the ***. The one guy giving the D issues is X who’s 5’10 200.

3. Young guys pressing. We forget majority of these guys are getting their first real serious burn and are being asked to be more than role players. JG, RB and BS was the core that was being expected to take this group into the future. It’s different when you aren’t the fourth , fifth or sixth option.

4. Maybe they just aren’t as good as their ranking or as good as we thought they were. The rankings and us as fans overvalued this group.

So now the question is can coaches do anything to take the pressure off or put them in better situations? @LuCane and myself both mentioned that maybe Gattis could implement a little bit of what Lashlee was doing towards the end of last season. Ease up the playbook ,possibly throw in some of the route concepts and wider splits, which gives them more space to work with. I’m willing to bet they’re pressing at this point and as I said it’s likely mental. Simplifying things has been known to work, I’ve seen it too many times to count.

I’m not ready to throw the season away just yet even though I know wr is a concern. Confidence is a weird thing after guys make some plays when bullets start flying. They won’t face a better defense during the season , so it’s all down hill week one.

All we need is this group to be consistent, thats it. Not Andre J, Santana or even Rambo. Consistent Everyone play their role.

Imo we won’t see any 18 % drop rates this year like a couple guys who are no longer here.

We'd being a concern is obviously, well, concerning. The rest of this post hypes me up for the rest of this season. We will be a great defense and should win plenty of games off of that alone. It seems like the coaches on the defensive side of the ball were well worth the money.

I'm not giving up on all these guys. If they can't get open that's when my alarm bell goes off. Someone is gonna step up opposite Keyshawn. 3 of then have not even taken a snap in a Canes Uniform.

We'd being a concern is obviously, well, concerning. The rest of this post hypes me up for the rest of this season. We will be a great defense and should win plenty of games off of that alone. It seems like the coaches on the defensive side of the ball were well worth the money.
We lack depth in a lot of spots , health will dictate 10-3 versus 8-5 imo.

I felt there was no better time than now to discuss the pink elephant in the room. Yes….I’m talking the wr’s. I had a big part in creating this narrative in early spring. At that time me and a certain poster had a disagreement about the wr group , the poster mentioned he had heard the wr’s were balling. I told him it’s quite the opposite , they’re struggling, we had quite the battle lol. So since I had a small hand in creating this narrative figured it’s only right I pull everyone back off the life boat…..FOR NOW!!

First let’s fact check….are some wr’s dropping balls ? Yes….too many and it’s unacceptable. Are guys having issues picking up the offense ? Yes. Is there concerns about this group going into the season? YES!! Is X far and away the most consistent performer since spring? Yes.

Now let’s get to the part that doesn’t add up, these same guys that are dropping passes now wasn’t doing it last year. At practice or in games. JG was returning punts as a true Fr and was the most consistent guy the entire year. You don’t put guys with suspect hands back for the most hectic , dangerous play in football. Theres literally eleven guys flying down hill and you only have a split second to make up your mind.

So the question I have his why did this suddenly become a major issue? Here’s some of my theories.

1. Guys are thinking more than playing. They went from a elementary style offense which is known for easy route concepts and even easier playbook to learn. The whole point of that O was to not think, just play and fast. This year it went to a college level playbook and it’s busting their asses. Instead of just running a route , putting your foot in the dirt breaking that thing off you’re unsure, maybe even looking at hashes where to round route the off or not confident in the assignment / play call.

2. They’re actually facing a really good defense every day, I’ve been told by too many people to count this is as legit of a defense we’ve had in a minute. Big , fast and very physical. Especially a secondary who’s finally allowed to rough up wr’s off the line , which is hurting clean get offs. That leads to no separation. That’s not a good equation for success when most of the wr’s are kinda light in the ***. The one guy giving the D issues is X who’s 5’10 200.

3. Young guys pressing. We forget majority of these guys are getting their first real serious burn and are being asked to be more than role players. JG, RB and BS was the core that was being expected to take this group into the future. It’s different when you aren’t the fourth , fifth or sixth option.

4. Maybe they just aren’t as good as their ranking or as good as we thought they were. The rankings and us as fans overvalued this group.

So now the question is can coaches do anything to take the pressure off or put them in better situations? @LuCane and myself both mentioned that maybe Gattis could implement a little bit of what Lashlee was doing towards the end of last season. Ease up the playbook ,possibly throw in some of the route concepts and wider splits, which gives them more space to work with. I’m willing to bet they’re pressing at this point and as I said it’s likely mental. Simplifying things has been known to work, I’ve seen it too many times to count.

I’m not ready to throw the season away just yet even though I know wr is a concern. Confidence is a weird thing after guys make some plays when bullets start flying. They won’t face a better defense during the season , so it’s all down hill week one.

All we need is this group to be consistent, thats it. Not Andre J, Santana or even Rambo. Consistent Everyone play their role.

Imo we won’t see any 18 % drop rates this year like a couple guys who are no longer here.
Spot on as usual...

I would also like to see more technique's addressing this (2 on 1, 3 on 1), contested situations, etc., similar to the way they teach ball protection. It would help build some mental resilience and confidence.

Advertisement
Back