Les Miles

Les would sell his soul to Satan himself for a W. That's exactly what Miami needs....a win at all costs type leader.

Advertisement
Tommy Moffitts S&C program is another reason for their success. Arguably the best S&C coach in football, he doesn't seem Interested in leaving LSU. If miles could bring him back tHen sign him up.

He has been at LSU for 15 years now.

Miles could pull an assistant away like Saban did with Cochrane, but it would still take a couple of years to see the improvements, not like inheriting a Nick Saban team.

Last edited:
All these guys with this underachiever talk make me laugh. Is he the top coach in college? no, but since Les has been there, I think they might have finished twice unranked, they have been a top 10 ranked team about half the time he's been there, they have won a title and if not for having to face Saban and Urban, might have had a couple more.

Wake up people, the results that he has gotten LSU we would kill for right now. The LSU fanbase that may want him out have gotten spoiled and are being unrealistic. If there is one thing I fault Les for is that garbage offense he still has not fixed yet, which I believe is meant to chew clock and keep his defense from being worn out (but it's still trash). I've said for a long time, he just needs to hire a badass OC and run the defense himself. That team would be real good then.

Amazing how good you look with a team filled with 1st rounders and he still didnt get championships, yall over rating this guy

Because there are no other teams in college football with a roster full of first rounders. smh. For most people to expect to win the championship every year is naive. In most cases you hope you have a good enough team to compete every year and the dice will roll where they may.

In Al's case, we aren't even competitive.

All these guys with this underachiever talk make me laugh. Is he the top coach in college? no, but since Les has been there, I think they might have finished twice unranked, they have been a top 10 ranked team about half the time he's been there, they have won a title and if not for having to face Saban and Urban, might have had a couple more.

Wake up people, the results that he has gotten LSU we would kill for right now. The LSU fanbase that may want him out have gotten spoiled and are being unrealistic. If there is one thing I fault Les for is that garbage offense he still has not fixed yet, which I believe is meant to chew clock and keep his defense from being worn out (but it's still trash). I've said for a long time, he just needs to hire a badass OC and run the defense himself. That team would be real good then.

He might be a good option.

But he won a title with Sabans players, and Matt Flynn was a Jimbo Fisher QB. They have been terrible at QB since, even Mertenberger struggled. They have been a one dimensional team, with arguably the most talented roster in the country. Guys like O'Dell Beckham did nothing there.

If it is as simple as hiring a bad *** OC then why hasn't he fixed it yet? He has had 8 years to do that.

They had no business playing Alabama in the title game. That whole decision was a farce. And How much of LSU success has been a product of SEC hype?

The SEC east has been almost as bad as the coastal the last 7 years, and the West was just Bama, AU and LSU, with AU having some big down years in between their title games.

We had to hear all that noise about the Mississippi schools last year and they weren't even that good, look what Georgia Tech did to Miss State.

If he is SO good then why do more and more fans want him gone? Because he has underachieved relative to their talent level. Yeah 10 win seasons are nice, but with those NFL rosters, 10 wins isn't enough.

And Miles would need 2-3 years to recruit the roster up to LSU talent level, last year's class will set this team back, he wouldn't be gift-wrapped a nick Saban football team.

Not sure how they had no business playing Bama in the title game when they beat Bama in the regular season. If we decided wins and losses on paper, then why bother playing the season? If anything, Alabama had no business in the game. OK ST should have been there.

I agree he has had plenty of time to fix the offense. I don't excuse it at all, but it's not just about hiring an OC, it's about hiring a good OC, the right one which they obviously haven't done yet.

As far as the SEC being overrated, I don't argue that either. It doesn't change the fact that LSU has been good since Miles has been there and have had some ridiculously good defenses.

As far as the fans, most fans are spoiled *** idiots. Look at our fans for example. Wanted to Butch gone, because he couldn't win championships while under sanctions. Now many of those same fans are begging Butch to come back. Another good example is Shannon. Sure he failed, but what follows is not always better. You get so spoiled by the success that a small setback in recruiting leading to a couple down year means that everyone thinks the coach needs to go, but in reality, maybe we just hit a small bump in the road and need to wait it out. Things don't always get fixed overnight.

I never said Les was elite, I just said he was good enough. Especially when we have people thinking unrealistically believing Patterson and Kelly were going to leave their comfortable settings to come to Miami. Les itself is likely a pipedream and people need to get their expectations in check.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Amazing how good you look with a team filled with 1st rounders and he still didnt get championships, yall over rating this guy

Because there are no other teams in college football with a roster full of first rounders. smh. For most people to expect to win the championship every year is naive. In most cases you hope you have a good enough team to compete every year and the dice will roll where they may.

Spot on. If you're in the convo, you are doing it right. We're not even in the convo. LSU is every year. I'd kill just to be in the top 25 every year again.

He had horrible years with talent, this whole expectation thing what you been saying about us sucking too? Every fans expectations should be that especially great programs like ours and LSU, the fact is he has done crap against good teams while hes there is also a indication, the only time he actually did anything was with another guys squad

Spot on. If you're in the convo, you are doing it right. We're not even in the convo. LSU is every year. I'd kill just to be in the top 25 every year again.

Lmao come on the only reason they are is because they are a SEC team, once the year starts and his teams crap the bed they get out of that convo, the only reason most of the time they still ranked after horrible loses is because they are in the SEC

Lmao come on the only reason they are is because they are a SEC team, once the year starts and his teams crap the bed they get out of that convo, the only reason most of the time they still ranked after horrible loses is because they are in the SEC

They've finished in the top 20 every year he's been there (since 2005) except for 2008 and 2014. They also have a NC and have finished 2nd and 3rd two other years. I don't care what the reason is, I'd gladly take these results at Miami.

Advertisement

They've finished in the top 20 every year he's been there (since 2005) except for 2008 and 2014. They also have a NC and have finished 2nd and 3rd two other years. I don't care what the reason is, I'd gladly take these results at Miami.

he wouldnt bring those results here, he got those results because of his conference and because of his players

The last three years LSU had a top 5 roster nationally, along with bama, osu, and fsu. These teams are on another level with 4 other teams behind them.

They are under performing. Thats why he is on the hot seat with 10 win seasons.

have you watched Lsu the last few years???

they are winning games against teams like UF only scoring 10 points, with NFL ol and stables of NFL skill players,

they won like 2 of their last 6 bowl games, surely an SEC team should dominate bowl games against ACC and big 10 teams right, after all ESPN says SEC SEC SEC so they must be good.

can he make Miami compeititve, yes, but is he the best guy for the job? Guys like a Sam Bruce would be wasted under his offensive scheme.

SEC teams are always overanked In pre and post season polls, so looking at poll finishes means nothing. They had Ole miss and Miss as #1 teams last year, and South Carolina was top 10.

The bama lsu championship was a ******* joke. They had no business there and Bama proved it.

Like a Larry Coker, miles won a championship with another coaches squad. He gets credit but not full credit. No Tommy Moffit, no nick Saban players, no saban style support staff... he isn't going to walk int in this job and win championships.

sadly 10 win seasons is good enough for some fans. My how the mighty have fallen. "At least we will be competitive" Smh

Miles used an elite DC as a scapegoat last year and burned that bridge. Where will he find a staff? He has had 9 years to find a competent OC, clearly he not elite at building a coaching staff. Guy would keep coley and give him a raise.

But at least we will be competitve. Jesus Christ.

Last edited:
I can't see an SEC coach or coordinator who's worked in that conference and has recruiting scars signing with miami after meeting our AD,BOT and president and realizing what their true priorities are.Wining might not even be in the 1st page of requirements for the new head coach.

He had horrible years with talent, this whole expectation thing what you been saying about us sucking too? Every fans expectations should be that especially great programs like ours and LSU, the fact is he has done crap against good teams while hes there is also a indication, the only time he actually did anything was with another guys squad

Since 2005, he has (2) 8-5 years and (1) 9-4. All remaining years are 10+ wins. I'll take that in any of the power conferences any day.

With his own rosters (everything after year 4), he has had 9-4, 11-2, 13-1 (made it to the title game), 10-3, 10-3, 8-5. Since 2006, we've been over 7 wins twice in the ACC and no seasons over 9 wins. I'm one of the first people to say the SEC is overhyped which contributes greatly to their rankings, but they have been far better than the ACC during that period and over the last 10 years have been the best conference (give or take 2-3 seasons). LSU has still held their own.

I'm not saying Miles is the best coach in the country. It's arguable that he is even a top 10 coach. As far as this discussion is concerned though, he is far better than anything we've had since Butch and (for the sake of arguing this pipe dream that will never happen) he is far better than anyone who is looking to come here (that is a proven HC).

Even Urban Meyer and Nick Saban can't make the title game every year and I'd be willing to bet they are consider 2 of the best coaches in college football right now. Show me how many coaches are doing what they are in a power conferences. Show me how many are doing better than Les Miles over the last 10 years than Les Miles.

The point is regardless of how unrealistic expectations are, there aren't that many coaches who are outperforming Les or are just as good. The link below indicates win % for active head coaches. Les is 21st on the list, 15th among power conference coaches (which includes Patterson who just joined a BCS conference recently, Helfrich who has Chip Kelly's players, Peterson who only recently left Boise State, David Shaw is only recently with all of his own players, Malzahn as a HC for 3 years, etc). There are other things I can point out, but it's getting nitpicky.

Everyone has a little bias, but at some point, the facts speak for themselves. Numbers don't tell a whole story, but they tell enough. In this case, Les is a solid coach. He is not an all time great, but everyone on the list ahead of him likely ain't walking through that door when Al leaves.

Winningest Active Coaches

Advertisement

The last three years LSU had a top 5 roster nationally, along with bama, osu, and fsu. These teams are on another level with 4 other teams behind them.

they are winning games against teams like UF only scoring 10 points, with NFL ol and stables of NFL skill players,

they won like 2 of their last 6 bowl games, surely an SEC team should dominate bowl games against ACC and big 10 teams right, after all ESPN says SEC SEC SEC so they must be good.

can he make Miami compeititve, yes, but is he the best guy for the job? Guys like a Sam Bruce would be wasted under his offensive scheme.

SEC teams are always overanked In pre and post season polls, so looking at poll finishes means nothing. They had Ole miss and Miss as #1 teams last year, and South Carolina was top 10.

The bama lsu championship was a ******* joke. They had no business there and Bama proved it.

Like a Larry Coker, miles won a championship with another coaches squad. He gets credit but not full credit. No Tommy Moffit, no nick Saban players, no saban style support staff... he isn't going to walk int in this job and win championships.

sadly 10 win seasons is good enough for some fans. My how the mighty have fallen. "At least we will be competitive" Smh

Miles used an elite DC as a scapegoat last year and burned that bridge. Where will he find a staff? He has had 9 years to find a competent OC, clearly he not elite at building a coaching staff. Guy would keep coley and give him a raise.

Some of the statements you make here are the reason we are where we are. Based on your statements if we don't win a title every couple years, we have failed. Guess what, that's not realistic, unless you got a Nick Saban as a coach. Nick Saban ain't walking through the door anytime soon. It was great when Schnelly, followed by Jimmy, Dennis and even Butch were revolving in an out, but it is nearly insane to expect to maintain that kind of success. Our luck ran out and that's why we are where we are. Now the brand is significantly impaired. If we could present a competitive team every year, we might not win, but we have a shot. Otherwise, we can follow your plan and hope every 20 years we get the right coach that hopefully can turn everything around in less than 3 years and beat out the Nick Saban's and Urban Meyer's until he is ready to jump ship for the NFL.

You are talking about the guy for the job? By all means, tell me who the guy for the job is that is also realistic. Until then your statement of how the mighty have fallen is a statement of outright stupidity and ignorance. If it were that easy, everyone would be able to do it. Other than Saban, how many other guys have won multiple titles in the last 15 years. Urban Meyer and Pete Carroll are the only other 2 to do it since Bowden in 1996. How many years did it take him to get a second one?

Childish *** fan bases might be a bigger problem than the coaches.

he wouldnt bring those results here, he got those results because of his conference and because of his players

We are in a worse conference. 10 wins should equal 11-12 wins regularly. BTW, last time I checked, teams tend to win because they have good players. Weak *** argument.

Some of the statements you make here are the reason we are where we are. Based on your statements if we don't win a title every couple years, we have failed. Guess what, that's not realistic, unless you got a Nick Saban as a coach. Nick Saban ain't walking through the door anytime soon. It was great when Schnelly, followed by Jimmy, Dennis and even Butch were revolving in an out, but it is nearly insane to expect to maintain that kind of success. Our luck ran out and that's why we are where we are. Now the brand is significantly impaired. If we could present a competitive team every year, we might not win, but we have a shot. Otherwise, we can follow your plan and hope every 20 years we get the right coach that hopefully can turn everything around in less than 3 years and beat out the Nick Saban's and Urban Meyer's until he is ready to jump ship for the NFL.

You are talking about the guy for the job? By all means, tell me who the guy for the job is that is also realistic. Until then your statement of how the mighty have fallen is a statement of outright stupidity and ignorance. If it were that easy, everyone would be able to do it. Other than Saban, how many other guys have won multiple titles in the last 15 years. Urban Meyer and Pete Carroll are the only other 2 to do it since Bowden in 1996. How many years did it take him to get a second one?

Actually your statement is why Miami is where they are right now. You do not demand excellence from coaches and instead say "it's not realistic". When you set your standards lower, that's exactly the result you will get.

Miami absolutely should win a title every few years, there is not really an excuse otherwise. Miami sits right in the middle of arguably the best talent bed in the country. All Miami needs to win titles is a coach that can harness that talent. Miami is and always will be one coach away from greatness.

The next Nick Saban is out there. I mean Nick Saban himself started out as an unknown. Miami just needs to be smart in their coaching searches like they were in the 80s and 90s and find the next great coach.

Advertisement

Actually your statement is why Miami is where they are right now. You do not demand excellence from coaches and instead say "it's not realistic". When you set your standards lower, that's exactly the result you will get.

Miami absolutely should win a title every few years, there is not really an excuse otherwise. Miami sits right in the middle of arguably the best talent bed in the country. All Miami needs to win titles is a coach that can harness that talent. Miami is and always will be one coach away from greatness.

The next Nick Saban is out there. I mean Nick Saban himself started out as an unknown. Miami just needs to be smart in their coaching searches like they were in the 80s and 90s and find the next great coach.

Well you keep living in fantasy world. The next Nick Saban is out there. What are the chances he chooses Miami? What are the chances he stays? Again, I showed you the facts. 1 coach winning multiple National Championships is not normal. 1 school doing it is not normal either, unless they are the 1 team dominating everyone for that short period. What we did in the 80's and 90's is not normal. Even the 2001 team had slip ups that almost cost them. We should of won in 2002, but we slipped up. Even if you have the best team, you might still lose. I will gladly take being in the discussion every year with a title every 10 over waiting another 30 years to get that badass coach who wins 2 or 3 while he is here. Oh look at that, while waiting for that coach, we could have won 2 or 3 over that period. See how that works?

Again children and ignorance. You keep hoping for the next Jimmy, because it's a rarity. I'll keep hoping that we can even recover from being irrelevant.

We are in a worse conference. 10 wins should equal 11-12 wins regularly. BTW, last time I checked, teams tend to win because they have good players. Weak *** argument.

You need more than just good players to win in football, golden and miles have proved that so has muschamp, the fact that the guy literally had a whole team of first rounders and did jack proves that hes a mediocre coach, take it from me who follows the team a little more hes another golden

You need more than just good players to win in football, golden and miles have proved that so has muschamp, the fact that the guy literally had a whole team of first rounders and did jack proves that hes a mediocre coach, take it from me who follows the team a little more hes another golden
Understood, my point is that the players are needed. In any case. No good coach takes bad players to a title win.

Either way, it's obvious some of you haven't learned from recent experience that finding the next Jimmy isn't as easy as it sounds, so I'll continue to keep expectations in the real world and hope al is gone sooner than later

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back