Learning how to win is the first step in changing the culture.

This is CIS no room to be rationale. We won the games we should have. Clemson didn't play great every week either look at everytime they play Syracuse.

Babers and Syracuse always give Clemson fits. Such is the matchup.

That said, let's not act like the Tigers didn't go on to blow out the Orange by 26 points this weekend.

Scored 47 points and racked up almost 500 yards.

A far cry from the three-point wins and losses over the past few years.

Advertisement
ok. so if they lose two of the last five, which includes Va Tech at Va Tech and UNC at home, you'd consider that a failrure? Given your measuring stick, exactly what would YOU do to fix the problems? Taking into account the current, verbally committed recruits. What's your solution?

If that happens then you’re saying we lost to the 3 best teams on our schedule and could only beat cupcakes. That’s a pretty damning statement against Manny. If that’s your definition of success then you’ve got low standards.

Also, I’m not the coach. It’s not MY job to fix the problems. I’m a fan. It’s my job to spend money and support the program, which I do. But I can also be critical of the team and call out shortcomings when I see them.

OP suggests that we change it by finding a way to win. We've only won 10 games once in the last 13 years. Even if we look like trash doing it, winning 10 games again will be a step in the right direction.

this fanbase lives in the 80s. we arent the program that has done any winning in the past 15 years. were more duke/uva than we are clemson in terms of consistency. winning 10 games in an 11 game season would be our most successful season since the early 00s. this team has holes, but dont take for granted the actual winning (if we finish out that is). close this season strong and have to follow it up with another double digit win season next year. thats how you start building a team that can contend in 3-4 years.

Clemson has also been in the national title conversation to some degree in the last 5 years at least. When they have an off game, which is expected for everyone, you give them the benefit of the doubt. Meanwhile, we played a pedestrian UVA team in a dog fight and Manny Diaz is doing slip and slides while our best WR is admitting that the WR unit (the weakest unit of the offense) cuts corners and gives half effort.

This is why you have mopes, because what you're seeing is merely the peak of our season - we're due to come crashing down to reality pretty soon.

People quickly forget, this UVA team gave Clemson fits too

Advertisement
We are three years removed from our last winning season ( Even characterizing that as winning is a stretch).

From that team I believe only Donaldson, Gaynor, Carter and Mccloud, who actually saw playing time, are still here. Since then we have been plagued by immaturity and complacency. Our players have been a part of a losing culture. They were more concerned with partying and social media than honing their craft. The coaches are just as culpuble, it is they who created the lax conditions that nurtured this entitlement.

I understand why Manny celebrated Saturday. At first it ****ed me off, but after allowing myself time to reflect....this is the same team that finished last season 6-7, Losing to Gtech and FIU.

Getting rid of the stink that was last 3 seasons will take more than opening a few windows and letting fresh air in (new talent, new offensive scheme, better coaches). They have to learn to win, like a baby learning how to walk. There will be times they fall down but they have to continue to get up, to fight through the obstacles. You can tell these boys are at the proverbial wall. Their bodies are sore and hurt, but they are still trying without quit. These last two games, for as bad as we have played, I still see what we can become if they are able to push through it. The great teams do it every year, because they understand what it takes to be great; it's learned behavior. We are on the path to learning how to win.

We are 5-1, the last three games have exposed some things that need to be addressed by both the players and staff. I am encouraged by their progress and resiliency, but more importantly their drive to win. We have 5 games left in our season. Let's see how much these boys want it, because the opportunity to do something special in 2020 is there if they continue to fight for it.
You’re posts have been excellent. Rational and make one think. I agree with your post but I think the biggest thing will be how we play nc state because of the bye week. Nc state is a solid team but one there should be no doubt we beat. Manny can’t keep losing post bye week so it’ll be interesting to see how the team reacts

Your rationale is absurd. Are you seriously comparing us to Clemson? There is a huge difference!
Isn't clemson the measuring stick in our conference? So why wouldn't he compare it clemson who is it supposed to louis, fspoo, unc, pitt, notre lame? Im curious who you think its supposed to be?

Isn't clemson the measuring stick in our conference? So why wouldn't he compare it clemson who is it supposed to louis, fspoo, unc, pitt, notre lame? Im curious who you think its supposed to be?
The previous poster was pointing that Clemson struggles or sleep walks against Cuse as a rationale to teams not always on their top game. That’s literally happens 1 game a year for them. Clemson has won countless (currently 30+ straight) ACC games and several national titles since in the last 5 years. It’s moronic to compare that to Miami struggling to beat bad ACC teams.

The previous poster was pointing that Clemson struggles or sleep walks against Cuse as a rationale to teams not always on their top game. That’s literally happens 1 game a year for them. Clemson has won countless (currently 30+ straight) ACC games and several national titles since in the last 5 years. It’s moronic to compare that to Miami struggling to beat bad ACC teams.
Ok, when u go that way! Ur point is spot on clemson one game a year like that, we have 4 or 5 so im in agreement with you there.

Advertisement
We need to win to keep the recruiting going. I'm not encouraged by what I'm seeing, but 5-1 is better than 4-2.

But Manny has a decision to make, he's gotta put his foot up someone's ***. To his credit he didn't stick with Enos. He needs to do the same on the defensive side of the football. Harley is the only older wide receiver who has earned earned snaps going forward. Once the youngsters get through the covid protocol, Wiggins needs to find the bench. Carter needs sat down as well. Whether we like the rules or not, it is what it is and he apparently can't play within them.

We’ve made no progress. We haven’t gotten better since week 1, we’ve gotten worse. “Winning” isn’t a cure all. We’ve won bc the teams we played have been that bad. Instead of being happy you won, how about expecting a little more than what was shown on Saturday night?
We have a ****t fan base I swear lol

ok. so if they lose two of the last five, which includes Va Tech at Va Tech and UNC at home, you'd consider that a failrure? Given your measuring stick, exactly what would YOU do to fix the problems? Taking into account the current, verbally committed recruits. What's your solution?
8-3 would be decent, but slightly disappointing given how Va Tech and UNC are; no major coaching changes will be made (maybe Rumph is canned but that would probably do it). The following year, ACCCG appearance or Manny should be fired.

Advertisement
Please don't try and hype up a 1-4 team who's only win is Duke; their three losses heading into our matchup were a 17 pt loss to Wake, a 17 pt loss to NC State and then an 18 pt loss to Clemson in which Dabo already said they spent some time preparing for us. I'm not saying Clemson didn't struggle because you can say they did for sure, but UVA is not a good team and we should have won by more than 5 points.

I can't recall the source of the video, but I recall one UM player describing JJ on Sunday. He related that the first film reviewed was the Special Teams film.

There would be a missed tackle or something and JJ would stop it, point the guy out and yell "WHO is that??? Who IS that?" Knowing full well exactly who it was!

And went on to describe how if you were the one called out - it would be pointed out - and you'd want to be able to crawl under the seat.

THAT is tough coaching without being crushing.

This is CIS no room to be rationale. We won the games we should have. Clemson didn't play great every week either look at everytime they play Syracuse.
I think the "legend" claimed in another thread that if you struggle in back-to-back games against mediocre ACC teams then that means you're average.

How about three in a row?

October 7, 2017: W 28-14 vs. Wake Forest
October 13, 2017: L 27-24 at Syracuse
October 28, 2017: W 24-10 vs. Georgia Tech

That was Clemson.

Advertisement
UVA was 1-3 prior to our game this past week. They're not world beaters by any means. Also, go back to that everyone has an off day comment. Clemson probably didn't take UVA seriously. Transitive property is not a good basis of an argument.

Don’t believe a word of it. Trust your eyes people. My eyes tell me that this head coach is incapable of preparing his team to play football on a consistent basis. Can’t get his team to play competitively in bowl games against inferior opponents after having weeks to prepare. Incapable of preparing for teams after having a bye week. Incapable of making second half adjustments. Incapable of holding your players to account and having them understand that there are consequences to your actions. Stupid penalty, you sit. Take a play off, you sit. nope, our coach just looks away and does nothing. Cares more about dancing with players. Treats his players like battered children by coddling them. He’s been given everything on silver platter growing up. His inability to handle criticism, harshness is what he projects onto the players. It’s pathological really. He’s not the guy. He’s never been the guy. No amount of sugar coating or spin will change that.

I never bought the off season hype. Bulk of players same players as last years miserable team with same head coach
8-3 was the best I thought they might do. Yes I am happy with any win but have a long way to go before I think we are good. Only way Manny will change my mind is have about 3 ten win seasons in a row and the team looking a lot better doing it. Does not matter what I think but even if we lose out no one is being fired this season with covid as the excuse. Meanwhile I will still hope for a win every game we play

Advertisement
Back