Learning how to win is the first step in changing the culture.

D-anon

Conference All American
Purgatory
We are three years removed from our last winning season ( Even characterizing that as winning is a stretch).

From that team I believe only Donaldson, Gaynor, Carter and Mccloud, who actually saw playing time, are still here. Since then we have been plagued by immaturity and complacency. Our players have been a part of a losing culture. They were more concerned with partying and social media than honing their craft. The coaches are just as culpuble, it is they who created the lax conditions that nurtured this entitlement.

I understand why Manny celebrated Saturday. At first it ****ed me off, but after allowing myself time to reflect....this is the same team that finished last season 6-7, Losing to Gtech and FIU.

Getting rid of the stink that was last 3 seasons will take more than opening a few windows and letting fresh air in (new talent, new offensive scheme, better coaches). They have to learn to win, like a baby learning how to walk. There will be times they fall down but they have to continue to get up, to fight through the obstacles. You can tell these boys are at the proverbial wall. Their bodies are sore and hurt, but they are still trying without quit. These last two games, for as bad as we have played, I still see what we can become if they are able to push through it. The great teams do it every year, because they understand what it takes to be great; it's learned behavior. We are on the path to learning how to win.

We are 5-1, the last three games have exposed some things that need to be addressed by both the players and staff. I am encouraged by their progress and resiliency, but more importantly their drive to win. We have 5 games left in our season. Let's see how much these boys want it, because the opportunity to do something special in 2020 is there if they continue to fight for it.

Advertisement
I do get this and actually agree with it. But sample size is too small to say that's what is happening. We've gone on streaks before with Golden, Richt, etc where the wins weren't pretty but they were still wins. And then we showed that the sloppiness would inevitably lead to losses...lots of them.

We've got a big slate of games coming up. If we end up winning 4 out of the next 5 in whatever fashion...I may give Manny some slack. I would consider this as his season to turn the team into believers and "learn how to win." Which means next season has even higher expectations.

If the ugliness in the last few games ends up biting us in the *** and we lose 2 or 3 games out of the next 5 then that's game over for me. The red flags and downward trends are there. It happened last year. At that point, there's not much that would make me believe Manny knows how to fix his problems and we're just delaying the inevitable.

I do get this and actually agree with it. But sample size is too small to say that's what is happening. We've gone on streaks before with Golden, Richt, etc where the wins weren't pretty but they were still wins. And then we showed that the sloppiness would inevitably lead to losses...lots of them.

We've got a big slate of games coming up. If we end up winning 4 out of the next 5 in whatever fashion...I may give Manny some slack. I would consider this as his season to turn the team into believers and "learn how to win." Which means next season has even higher expectations.

If the ugliness in the last few games ends up biting us in the *** and we lose 2 or 3 games out of the next 5 then that's game over for me. The red flags and downward trends are there. It happened last year. At that point, there's not much that would make me believe Manny knows how to fix his problems and we're just delaying the inevitable.

I rather address these issues now than to have them spring up in November. This is the teams moment to decide what they want their season to be.

Advertisement
I disagree
1603716416477.gif

This is CIS no room to be rationale. We won the games we should have. Clemson didn't play great every week either look at everytime they play Syracuse.

Clemson has also been in the national title conversation to some degree in the last 5 years at least. When they have an off game, which is expected for everyone, you give them the benefit of the doubt. Meanwhile, we played a pedestrian UVA team in a dog fight and Manny Diaz is doing slip and slides while our best WR is admitting that the WR unit (the weakest unit of the offense) cuts corners and gives half effort.

This is why you have mopes, because what you're seeing is merely the peak of our season - we're due to come crashing down to reality pretty soon.

Advertisement
Agree with you OP! While the sample size is small, we should all be able to agree that we lose this game 9/10 times over the past 10 years. The only way to increase the sample size and demonstrate a turning of the corner is to keep doing what we are doing. Beat the teams that you should, blow some teams out along the way, and try to keep the games that you are playing against top talent as tight as possible. Any one of us would be thrilled with a 5-1 start at the beginning of this season that includes playing Clemson.
Forget about the rankings as with the intro of the Big Ten and PAC 12 we will likely fall a couple of spots. We can earn those spots back if we keep doing what we are supposed to. Manny has my support as long as he keeps winning. I’m not saying to give him a contract extension, but keep doing what you are doing and we can then focus the mission on beating a top team to shake things up someday.

ok. so if they lose two of the last five, which includes Va Tech at Va Tech and UNC at home, you'd consider that a failrure? Given your measuring stick, exactly what would YOU do to fix the problems? Taking into account the current, verbally committed recruits. What's your solution?

Advertisement
OP suggests that we change it by finding a way to win. We've only won 10 games once in the last 13 years. Even if we look like trash doing it, winning 10 games again will be a step in the right direction.

Winning 10 games is great - you don't go from a 6-7 season to national title contenders. The point that's trying to make its way home is the discrepancies that we see from the coaching staff as it relates to the process and culture. That in of itself leads itself that even if Miami were to somehow win 10 games this year, it's not a likely consistent metric that we should expect.

Advertisement
We’ve made no progress. We haven’t gotten better since week 1, we’ve gotten worse. “Winning” isn’t a cure all. We’ve won bc the teams we played have been that bad. Instead of being happy you won, how about expecting a little more than what was shown on Saturday night?

Manny was right when he said you have to fight the pull of mediocrity but that doesn't mean that you don't celebrate winning either. We don't know what he stresses every week so to say "f-that we should won by 50!" and tell off a sideline reporter hes not there yet.

Advertisement
Back