LBs

Ya man I'm not so sure about that. Idk if it's speedy backs, or just defending between the tackles but, we're not great at it...

2018 vs UVA: 140+ rushing yards
2018 vs Vtech: 110+ rushing yards
2018 vs Duke: 150 rushing yards
2018 vs Wisc: 280+ rushing yards
2018 vs LSU: 160+ rushing yards

not really the strongest trait by the LBs.
Wisconsin's O line in 2018 was significantly better than UF's O line this year.

Advertisement
Ya man I'm not so sure about that. Idk if it's speedy backs, or just defending between the tackles but, we're not great at it...

2018 vs UVA: 140+ rushing yards
2018 vs Vtech: 110+ rushing yards
2018 vs Duke: 150 rushing yards
2018 vs Wisc: 280+ rushing yards
2018 vs LSU: 160+ rushing yards

not really the strongest trait by the LBs.
UVA- 40 attempts for 145 yards (3.6 ypc)
Vtech- 33 attempts 119 yards (3.6 ypc)
Duke- 30 attempts 146 yards (4.9 ypc)
Wisconsin- 58 attempts 333 yards (5.7 ypc)
LSU- 41 attempts 146 yards (3.8 ypc)

To put those numbers into perspective, 110 teams last year averaged at least 3.6 ypc, 99 teams average at least 3.8, and even in our two worst games 32 teams averaged more than what Duke got against us and Wisconsin was an abomination on all fronts so with that one you are correct.

Cant just look at yards. If a team runs the ball 40+ times they'll put up a lot of yards. Doesnt mean they ran the ball effectively. We were well above average stopping the run against everyone. The only game we were truly poor in was Wisconsin.

Yeah I'd be interested to see a breakdown of the yards per run. LSU had over 30 attempts, one being the 50 harder. Take that out and you're looking at what 3 yards a run? Give or take. That's pretty solid if Knowles had cleaned up that run.
this is true. but can we all agree that you give up 150 yds on the ground and the pattern shows we lose the game.

DL play will be key. Ford has played sparingly over two seasons but Kuligowski used to preach how with him, it was just a matter of time. Garvin has apparently gotten a lot stronger and Hill looks bigger than he ever has. Bethel is surprisingly strong for someone so small. Patchan is a 5th year guy. Miller is a large man. Rousseau is a secret weapon. Nnoruka is heralded as twitchy and we need him to be. Harvey and Blissett are talented enough to see early action.

UVA- 40 attempts for 145 yards (3.6 ypc)
Vtech- 33 attempts 119 yards (3.6 ypc)
Duke- 30 attempts 146 yards (4.9 ypc)
Wisconsin- 58 attempts 333 yards (5.7 ypc)
LSU- 41 attempts 146 yards (3.8 ypc)

To put those numbers into perspective, 110 teams last year averaged at least 3.6 ypc, 99 teams average at least 3.8, and even in our two worst games 32 teams averaged more than what Duke got against us and Wisconsin was an abomination on all fronts so with that one you are correct.

Cant just look at yards. If a team runs the ball 40+ times they'll put up a lot of yards. Doesnt mean they ran the ball effectively. We were well above average stopping the run against everyone. The only game we were truly poor in was Wisconsin.
right, but still...they run the rock they control the clock. and the end results of all of those games with the exception of VT is an L. All i'm saying is we arent GREAT at stopping the run because we're an aggressive edge control D.

Advertisement
Ya you're right. We're not GREAT but we aren't swiss cheese like UCF. But when you play a balanced team, it's hard to be really aggressive as a defense and control the game. That's my point in perspective to a team like UF. They aren't a GREAT team...but they're balanced.
They aren’t balanced and don’t have a great passing game against legit or average defenses . They have built this false bravado up for how the finished the season playing some below average defenses in the last 4 games outside of Michigan(who were missing multiple starters including 2 top 12 picks in the draft)

Also figure in that if you continue to run the ball with little success for much of the game, there’s a chance that you have a sizeable enough lead that you don’t want to risk throwing it and want to run the clock down (e.g. LSU last year after they took control of the game at half).

Advertisement
Hard to judge anything based off last season's stats. The offense was so putrid that the D was never given a chance to breathe and almost always forced to go back out and defend short fields. That unquestionably factored into opponents' success running against us as our D eventually tired, just like any D would have. Now, I'm not saying we didn't have issues with run D at times as we definitely did. But the offense (or lack thereof) really skewed last year defensively, IMO.

Plus, as Chise said above, you cannot get anything from the Wisky game as to our opener next week. Wisky's o-line was legit; UF's is not.

We will slow down their run.

This is exactly right. We're aggressive and we can give up big plays between the tackles while disrupting a drop or QBs rhythm. Live by the sword, die by the sword.
Miami doesn’t give up big plays like that, look up the stats.Maybe every once in a while but it’s not often. Manny operates his defense being extremely aggressive but not giving up explosive plays.

Yeah I'd be interested to see a breakdown of the yards per run. LSU had over 30 attempts, one being the 50 harder. Take that out and you're looking at what 3 yards a run? Give or take. That's pretty solid if Knowles had cleaned up that run.

Ok I had to look it up... Per ESPN

LSU 156 yds, 41 attempts, 3.8 avg
DUke 146 yrds, 30 attempts, 4.9 avg
Vtech: 119 yds, 33 attempts, 3.6 avg
UVA: 143 yds, 41 attempts, 3.5 avg
Wisc: 333 yrds, 58 attempts, 5.7 avg

Out of all those teams we held every team under their avg except for Duke

When is Shaq gone make a play that stamps in as a University of Miami LB? He gets all the praise, and haven’t made a game changing play yet

Advertisement
right, but still...they run the rock they control the clock. and the end results of all of those games with the exception of VT is an L. All i'm saying is we arent GREAT at stopping the run because we're an aggressive edge control D.
You dont control the clock with less than 4 yards per cary. We lost those games because of bad field position, turnovers and not being able to move the ball which all goes hand to hand. The only team that controls the ball running a billion times is Georgia Tech and thats because they average 5.5 ypc although we held them to 4.6

Miami lost or wasn’t in some of those games because of mark richt and his horrible offense not because of the run defense...

If you have 40 rushing attempts with only 150 yards to show for it then it isn’t good for the offense whatsoever.
Partially correct.. but rule of thumb is if you can guarantee 3.75 YPC, you will never punt (or face 4th down)

Advertisement
They aren’t balanced and don’t have a great passing game against legit or average defenses . They have built this false bravado up for how the finished the season playing some below average defenses in the last 4 games outside of Michigan(who were missing multiple starters including 2 top 12 picks in the draft)
hey agree to disagree. I think we beat the Gators if our Offense is improved. Wont be a high scoring game. Last year UF was a balanced team though – top two RBs attempted 265 rushes. Franks threw for 188 attempts. can't really dispute those numbers.

Advertisement
Back