LBs

matt33

Recruit
I hope our LBs can step up against the run. I know Florida doesn’t have a great running back, but looking back on the past three years our LBs have had problems with fast running backs.

Advertisement
🤦‍♀️ Our have been pretty good against the run the whole time they have been here. Also Florida doesn’t have a really fast back on their team
The good backs we play against hit their average except for the back at Norte Dame. Average backs have hit their averages on is

Advertisement
Im not worried about our linebackers against the run. The literal only area that Mike and Pinck havent shown to be elite in is coverage and even in that they have improved every year. Going into this season the least of my concerns are those 2.

🤦‍♀️ Our have been pretty good against the run the whole time they have been here. Also Florida doesn’t have a really fast back on their team
Ya man I'm not so sure about that. Idk if it's speedy backs, or just defending between the tackles but, we're not great at it...

2018 vs UVA: 140+ rushing yards
2018 vs Vtech: 110+ rushing yards
2018 vs Duke: 150 rushing yards
2018 vs Wisc: 280+ rushing yards
2018 vs LSU: 160+ rushing yards

not really the strongest trait by the LBs.

Ya man I'm not so sure about that. Idk if it's speedy backs, or just defending between the tackles but, we're not great at it...

You got to look at rush attempts, when you look at rushing yards, with that being said we had a bad day vs Wisconsin/bc/unc there’s no disputing that. But if you look at average per attempt in those other games you listed it was still pretty **** solid. Like LSU has 156 rushing yards but on what 38 attempts or something like that?

Last edited:
Advertisement

Hard to diagnose just looking at it like that.... Obviously LSU broke the one long run when I don't believe either LB was on the field, Wisc, we got manhandled at Oline, UVA I think their QB ran for a bunch of yards. Don't recall Duke or Vtech but I think giving up 110 yards TOTAL on the ground isn't awful. Not great like you said but def not in the realm of the others.

Not to mention when we look at Perine highlights he was running behind a completely different Oline with future NFL players. I think everyone, even the gator included, believe the Oline will have some drop-off so lets see how he does.

Lamichal perine is not a fast running back lol
He may not be track fast but he has broken some big runs on the field and housed them which is all that matters. He is a good back, especially in that uf system which isnt known for producing backs dating back to tebow era.

I read an article that said how unappreciaive WE are (Miami Fans) of our linebackers because they've been here a while and how they should be recognized as one of the best units in the nation.
Whoever wrote that is an idiot. I don't know a single Miami fan that DOESN'T appreciate how good our starting LBs are and how lucky we are to have them back this season.

Advertisement
You got to look at rush attempts, when you look at rushing yards, with that being said we had a bad day vs Wisconsin/bc there’s no disputing that. But if you look at average per attempt in those other games you listed it was still pretty **** solid. Like LSU has 156 rushing yards but on what 38 attempts or something like that?
why pass the ball when you can run it for 150+ yards lol?

Hard to diagnose just looking at it like that.... Obviously LSU broke the one long run when I don't believe either LB was on the field, Wisc, we got manhandled at Oline, UVA I think their QB ran for a bunch of yards. Don't recall Duke or Vtech but I think giving up 110 yards TOTAL on the ground isn't awful. Not great like you said but def not in the realm of the others.

Not to mention when we look at Perine highlights he was running behind a completely different Oline with future NFL players. I think everyone, even the gator included, believe the Oline will have some drop-off so lets see how he does.
Ya you're right. We're not GREAT but we aren't swiss cheese like UCF. But when you play a balanced team, it's hard to be really aggressive as a defense and control the game. That's my point in perspective to a team like UF. They aren't a GREAT team...but they're balanced.

A lot has to do with their assignment. Gap free IIRC and they're free to anticipate and shoot a gap. Results in big stops and also gashes. That's why Jaquan and the safeties have such a big responsibility cleaning up.

Advertisement
why pass the ball when you can run it for 150+ yards lol?
What are you talking about? If you have 40 rushing attempts with only 150 yards to show for it then it isn’t good for the offense whatsoever. Higher volume of attempts will equal more rushing yards. Rushing yards per carry is a more accurate barometer of good the rushing defense is

Yeah I'd be interested to see a breakdown of the yards per run. LSU had over 30 attempts, one being the 50 harder. Take that out and you're looking at what 3 yards a run? Give or take. That's pretty solid if Knowles had cleaned up that run.

A lot has to do with their assignment. Gap free IIRC and they're free to anticipate and shoot a gap. Results in big stops and also gashes. That's why Jaquan and the safeties have such a big responsibility cleaning up.
This is exactly right. We're aggressive and we can give up big plays between the tackles while disrupting a drop or QBs rhythm. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Advertisement
Back