LB's predict

Grace;Gayot (if healthy)
Quarterman;Young
McCloud(if heathy and a quick study), if not, Owens;Smith

Despite the mat drills, which have little significance, Gordinier will be 4th string MLB behind Quarterman, Young, and Pickney.

Advertisement
Everyone always loves the young incoming stud, just as they do the backup QB when the starter struggles.

The fact we can even consider this many options at LB is a GOOD thing! We should have nice depth and ability to rotate bodies against these up-tempo teams. I can easily see a 6-man rotation. Some of the incoming kids may need time either to physically mature or learn the system. It's a big jump from getting by on supreme athletic talent in HS to reading keys in college and fighting off OLinemen. I think Shaq is most ready and will contribute early and often, although i think Young starts.

The guy not mentioned in the conversation here is Charles Perry. I liked what i saw of him coming out of HS. Anyone know how he looked in practice last year and he has physically developed?

This...I'm looking forward to some healthy competition. Perry is a name that continues to not get discussed.

Isn't his roommate Evan Shirreffs? I remember thinking those two were probably the two brainiest kids on the whole team, based on their grades and test scores.
just an opinion that's all. You can't have the opinion on this because you know nothing about Gordinier. Let his play on the field do the talking. I will say this: nobody will be more physical. Nobody will be more cerebral on the field. One of smartest kids you will ever see at LB.

Advertisement
Can't wait to see the Lb's this year, Young was productive last year and very promising going forward. Grace is a gamer, he brings playmaking ability every time he steps foot on the turf, can't wait to see these young guys push each other, hungry for playing time, making one another scratch and claw for the upper hand..gonna be a very interesting season...LONG OVERDO

Grace, Owens (if healthy), and Young will be the starters.

Perry will be a primary backup somewhere.

The 3 FR will fill out the 2 other spots on the 2 deep. One might get redshirted.

Gayot is rumored to be a medical redshirt or will transfer if he still wants to play.
Mike Smith might have a chance to stay on the roster if he adds weight and flashes as a rush end on 3rd downs. Otherwise, he gone.
King, McRay, and Gordinier will transfer before or after 2016 season to make room for the 2017 recruiting class, which will be a max class of 30.

Gordinier is slow as **** and the OP said he is a better athlete than owens, lol mane.

Advertisement
He was 6'4" 235 2 years ago. I think his future could be on the line as well. However, if the kid has a good football mind he could very well end up as a LB. We'll know more soon. Remember, sometimes it's not the fastest, most athletic guy you want playing, but the guy who is always in position to make plays. Good problem to have.
Gordinier will beat Owens out. Much better athlete and overall football player.

Gordimer will NOT start. Lol. He'll be moved to WDE

I think Gordinier can be a solid football player for us. But Owens can be elite and should fit exact what Diaz wants in a SAM if he's healthy.

Completely lost me when you said Gordinier is a better "athlete" than Owens lol D.O is probably one of the most athletic guys on the entire team. 6'2 245 and runs a 4.55-4.6, power cleans 330 lbs, etc. We only saw him in limited action as a freshman and barely any before injury last year. He hasn't scratched the surface of what he's about to be.

Grace is a lock at Will, Young and Shaq will go at it in spring, summer, fall for that Mike position, and it will only make us better in the end. But you can't deny that Young was **** good when he played last year. He's also one of the few guys out there you can say is not going to get beat physically on this team. Absolute beast.

There is a poster on this site that is the president of the gordiner fan club. Not sure if it is the OP but I know some dude has been hyping up gordiner as the next great Lb for several months now.

Advertisement
just an opinion that's all. You can't have the opinion on this because you know nothing about Gordinier. Let his play on the field do the talking. I will say this: nobody will be more physical. Nobody will be more cerebral on the field. One of smartest kids you will ever see at LB.

And you can't have an opinion on this because you are very clearly biased.

Gordinier couldn't see the field at a thin position that had all three starters get injured in some capacity while Owens has at least shown flashes but he's going to beat him out? I hope you're right because that means Gordinier has really improved.

Who do you guys see as ultimately being our starting LB's? Where is the competition?
MIKE- this will end up being Shaq Quarterman. He is very natural at the position and has that chip on his shoulder that you want. I am hearing he is doing quite well in Mat drills /Conditioning.

-I disagree with pegging a freshman as a starter before we even get to the spring game. You are only considering the potential of Shaq but not of Young. You are also not considering that MLB is 2nd most important position in Diaz's defense, and usually the most important in ANY defense. HAS to be one of the smartest players on the field. Yes Shaq played in Florida, but does not mean he knows the game speed of the regular college offense. Yes Shaq is smart but the experience in the position on the college level from Young will likely make him hard to beat out in the spring. Shaq is a straight STUD, but I'd never disrespect a player like Young who was ready to play when called upon and took up his starting position like a boss when we needed a new head on the defense after Kirby's injury.

+1

Advertisement
WLB-Grace/Perry
MLB-Young/Quarterman
SLB Owens/McCloud

I keep hearing that Gayot will not be back. Such a shame if true. Gayot could have been a very good player here.

Gordinier will beat Owens out. Much better athlete and overall football player.

Owens hasn't flashed anything his freshman year. He was just a freshman though. I wouldn't be surprised if Gordinier starts.
You guys haven't seen Owens play yet...as a fresh he was learning...as a soph he didnt have time to settle in to his groove.. If he remains healthy this thread will rank among the craziest of all time...besides that I think McCloud will beat Gordiner out in the depth rotation.. Shaq and JY will be the battle... JY has the advantage of experience...playing against D1 comp...thats a huge obstacle. JY is faster straight line and maybe a bit more atheletic. Shaq's advantage...he will be among the first to learn Diaz defense... JY played everything in HS... Shaq has been a MLB thats it... He lead and called plays since he was a Fresh in HS two yrs with Owens.. Shaq wants it and has the drive to support it....He is doing extremely well in Mat drills...only two other backers are higher than him on the grade board...and its a very small margin between 1 and 3...But i would have to say it's JY's to loose... and if Owens was healthy he would be ranked 1 on mat drills...

Everyone always loves the young incoming stud, just as they do the backup QB when the starter struggles.

The fact we can even consider this many options at LB is a GOOD thing! We should have nice depth and ability to rotate bodies against these up-tempo teams. I can easily see a 6-man rotation. Some of the incoming kids may need time either to physically mature or learn the system. It's a big jump from getting by on supreme athletic talent in HS to reading keys in college and fighting off OLinemen. I think Shaq is most ready and will contribute early and often, although i think Young starts.

The guy not mentioned in the conversation here is Charles Perry. I liked what i saw of him coming out of HS. Anyone know how he looked in practice last year and he has physically developed?

This...I'm looking forward to some healthy competition. Perry is a name that continues to not get discussed.
Perry will be a factor...

Advertisement
Back