LB's predict

Sooch

Redshirt Freshman
Who do you guys see as ultimately being our starting LB's? Where is the competition?
Here is what I think....

WILL- this will be Grace hands down. He fits the position perfectly. If healthy, his backup will be Gayot who showed some nice aggressive play early last year.

MIKE- this will end up being Shaq Quarterman. He is very natural at the position and has that chip on his shoulder that you want. I am hearing he is doing quite well in Mat drills /Conditioning.

SAM- this will be a great battle between Owens and Gordinier. Ultimately I think Gordinier beats him out and wins the job. He is a more instinctive natural player at LB. Owens is big, moves well but has never shown to be that physical as a LB. I have heard that Grace and Gordinier have been that most consistent LB's in the conditioning and may drills.

Advertisement
Honestly I think it'll be a while before the freshman start. They have great competition at LB. Owens will definitely start though.

darrion Owens is a high level player and will start.... At mlb it will be a battle with young and Quaterman. Young looked promising last year and has best blend of speed and size Miami has at linebacker weighing 240 plus still running a 4.6 40. If quarterman wants the job it will be a dogfight all year long IMO. Quaterman is extremely talented as well and I'm very high on him. No doubt in my mind he will play alot

Gordinier will beat Owens out. Much better athlete and overall football player.

Advertisement
Gordinier will beat Owens out. Much better athlete and overall football player.

Owens is also coming off major injury which sets Gordinier to take his spot.Only concern I have with Gordinier is with all our injuries at LB last season he was still redshirted.

Who do you guys see as ultimately being our starting LB's? Where is the competition?
MIKE- this will end up being Shaq Quarterman. He is very natural at the position and has that chip on his shoulder that you want. I am hearing he is doing quite well in Mat drills /Conditioning.

-I disagree with pegging a freshman as a starter before we even get to the spring game. You are only considering the potential of Shaq but not of Young. You are also not considering that MLB is 2nd most important position in Diaz's defense, and usually the most important in ANY defense. HAS to be one of the smartest players on the field. Yes Shaq played in Florida, but does not mean he knows the game speed of the regular college offense. Yes Shaq is smart but the experience in the position on the college level from Young will likely make him hard to beat out in the spring. Shaq is a straight STUD, but I'd never disrespect a player like Young who was ready to play when called upon and took up his starting position like a boss when we needed a new head on the defense after Kirby's injury.

Grace is really the only sure fire starter. Beyond him the two deep is young but talented. I liked the way Young played last year. He and Quarterman will be a nice 1-2 on the depth chart and either could start. Owens, Gayot, McCloud, and Gordinier will be rotating in and out.

Advertisement
just an opinion that's all. You can't have the opinion on this because you know nothing about Gordinier. Let his play on the field do the talking. I will say this: nobody will be more physical. Nobody will be more cerebral on the field. One of smartest kids you will ever see at LB.

Why do you think Gordinier traveled all year. If they had to they were going to play him. When Golden was fired they told him they owed it to him to give him 4 years with new coach. That is why he didn't play but he was on the sidelines suited up if needed

just an opinion that's all. You can't have the opinion on this because you know nothing about Gordinier. Let his play on the field do the talking. I will say this: nobody will be more physical. Nobody will be more cerebral on the field. One of smartest kids you will ever see at LB.

You sound like you are related to him

Advertisement
Grace is the ONLY sure starter among our LBs. With Young coming back from a injury,it gives young players like Gordinier,Shaq,Perry and others a chance to showcase their skill set.
Gordinier will get a hard look at the OLB with his size, instincts,smarts. He may not start but he'll be in the rotation.
Shaq may not start but he'll also be in the rotation,coming in early helped him greatly.

Young and Owens gives us depth even if they are not starters,then what do we get out of Gayot,King,Perry,Smith?

We have talent and depth its young and lacking game experience
Spring camp is going to have some interesting battles in our LB unit.
Diaz coach them up and get them ready

Everyone always loves the young incoming stud, just as they do the backup QB when the starter struggles.

The fact we can even consider this many options at LB is a GOOD thing! We should have nice depth and ability to rotate bodies against these up-tempo teams. I can easily see a 6-man rotation. Some of the incoming kids may need time either to physically mature or learn the system. It's a big jump from getting by on supreme athletic talent in HS to reading keys in college and fighting off OLinemen. I think Shaq is most ready and will contribute early and often, although i think Young starts.

The guy not mentioned in the conversation here is Charles Perry. I liked what i saw of him coming out of HS. Anyone know how he looked in practice last year and he has physically developed?

WLB - Grace
MLB - Young
SLB - Owens

All 3 are healthy, then they're starting. No doubt about it.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back