LB Vincent Shavers commits to Canes

View as article
Could be a concern. But if he’s an inch shorter than his 6’1 listed height, that’s still tall enough to play LB. Fricking Ray Lewis was 6 ft even (and weighed about 200 when he got here).

For LBs, my concerns are 1. Ability to diagnose the play (hard to learn at 19 yo). 2. Being a solid tackler 3. Being a mean MF with a stout build. 4. Speed

Height is way down the list. Ideal might be 6’2 or 6’3 might it’s not vital.
Just for Context those measurements are from his Sophomore season. He has yet to play his Sr season. He has more growing to do he is not a finished product. He is a take all day in a class where they’re looking to sign 3-4 LB’s. His measurables are fine at this stage in his life and development.

Advertisement
I think if we were more relevant nationally and had a better recent track record of winning important games we'd see stronger appeal from local kids who we are late to recruit.
This part here I agree with and have said similarly before but I still think there’s a difference for us. I’ve seen recruits we were on prior to the gator from gator areas - an OL and a LB recently - who jumped to sign with the gator as soon as they offered.

I don’t think Miami commands the same loyalty as the state schools do. I think the area and area mentality are just different.

This part here I agree with and have said similarly before but I still think there’s a difference for us. I’ve seen recruits we were on prior to the gator from gator areas - an OL and a LB recently - who jumped to sign with the gator as soon as they offered.

I don’t think Miami commands the same loyalty as the state schools do. I think the area and area mentality are just different.
You're not putting enough weight on the recent success of both schools though.

In the last 15 years:
UF:
-- Won a national championship game
-- Won an Orange Bowl,
-- Won a Sugar Bowl, and
-- 5 minor bowl game wins,
-- Appeared and lost in Sugar Bowl once
-- Won the SEC
-- Won the SEC East 5x and lost in the championship game to Alabama
UM:
-- Appeared and lost in the Orange Bowl once
-- Won one minor bowl game
-- Won the ACC coastal once in 2017 and lost to Clemson

In that time we're 1-2 against Florida in direct match ups.

As for active players in the NFL, Florida has 53 and Miami has 35 (https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/college/).

Yes Gainsville is a college town where the university carries a lot of sway, but they've been so much more successful than us during the time that any HS recruit was alive and paying attention to football and that makes a big difference too.

If we start playing in and winning more meaningful games we'll see a lot more kids who want to play for us even if they think we were late to the party in their recruitment

In the last 15 years:
UF:
-- Won an Orange Bowl,
-- Won a Sugar Bowl, and
-- Won the SEC
UM:

As for active players in the NFL, Florida has 53 and Miami has 35 (https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/college/).

Yes Gainsville is a college town where the university carries a lot of sway, but they've been so much more successful than us during the time that any HS recruit was alive and paying attention to football and that makes a big difference too.

If we start playing in and winning more meaningful games we'll see a lot more kids who want to play for us even if they think we were late to the party in their recruitment
We’ll see if we win more games how much it helps. It’ll help some. We’ll see if we’re no different than LSU and similar teams.

In the last 15 years:
UF:
-- Won an Orange Bowl,
-- Won a Sugar Bowl, and
-- Won the SEC
UM:

go away gtfo GIF

Advertisement
I didn't like writing it out but I also think just blaming kids down here for not being loyal or whatever is stupid if you're trying to compare them to programs that have been relevant in their lifetimes.

CMR began the process of re-establishing roots in the community, but he was old and sick and I think Mario can pick up where he left off if he keeps adding talent from the area and nationally and we start winning big games. Kids from here will want to play here then.

In the last 15 years:
UF:
-- Won an Orange Bowl,
-- Won a Sugar Bowl, and
-- Won the SEC
UM:

Recent success is a factor. But IMO, what RVA is talking about existed prior to the last 15 years. Go back to the 80s and 90s, being a small private school, the divided loyalties in So FL have often been involved in recruiting local talent, many of whom were quick to claim we weren't on them sooner.

Recent success is a factor. But IMO, what RVA is talking about existed prior to the last 15 years. Go back to the 80s and 90s, being a small private school, the divided loyalties in So FL have often been involved in recruiting local talent, many of whom were quick to claim we weren't on them sooner.
I agree there are other factors like @gogeta4 said. I'm just sticking up for the kids a little bit. The truth is if we start winning we'll get more kids locally who will want to come here.

Until recently the university basically didn't give a sht about the football program. If the university doesn't give a sht why would the kids? Now that the university is investing in the program that will pay dividends and make people more excited about the opportunity to be a Cane

Advertisement

In the last 15 years:
UF:
-- Won a national championship game (15 years ago, in 2008)
-- Won an Orange Bowl, (in 2019, their most recent bowl win)
-- Won a Sugar Bowl, (in 2009) and
-- 5 minor bowl game wins (does anyone actually care about these conciliation prizes? 2018 Peach Bowl... 2016 Outback Bowl... 2014 Birmingham Bowl... that's it for minor bowl wins within the last 10 years),
-- Appeared and lost in Sugar Bowl once (back in 2012)
-- Won the SEC (again, in 2008)
-- Won the SEC East 5x (2020 covid season, 2016, 2015, 2012, 2009) and lost in the championship game to Alabama (2020 covid season)
UM:

You are putting too much weight on the so-called "recent" success of UiF. For the clear majority of the major accolades you cited, current recruits were somewhere between wearing diapers and still sleeping with a nightlight on and being tucked into bed (see dates added to QP in bold).

Take it to 10 years (2013, when class of 2024 kids were mostly in 1st grade) and those numbers/accomplishments look a lot different. Plus, in the last 10 years UiF has also had 2 4-win seasons (2013 and 2017). UiF is also 1-1 against UM in the last 14 years (us in 2013, them in 2019).

So while UiF has been more successful than UM in "recent" years, if you cut that window to the last 10 years the gap closes a good deal. Mind you, that's not because UM's gotten any better, but mostly because UiF's 2008-2012 marks a similar "fall from grace" as our 2001-2005.

Last edited:
You are putting too much weight on the so-called "recent" success of UiF. For the clear majority of the major accolades you cited, current recruits were somewhere between wearing diapers and still sleeping with a nightlight on and being tucked into bed (see dates added to QP in bold).

Take it to 10 years (2013, when class of 2024 kids were mostly in 1st grade) and those numbers/accomplishments look a lot different. Plus, in the last 10 years UiF has also had 2 4-win seasons (2013 and 2017). UiF is also 1-1 against UM in the last 14 years (us in 2013, them in 2019).

So while UiF has been more successful than UM in "recent" years, if you cut that window to the last 10 years the gap closes a good deal. Mind you, that's not because UM's gotten any better, but mostly because UiF's 2008-2012 marks a similar "fall from grace" as our 2001-2005.
Even when you exclude their 5 year stretch with Tebow and chips they still won and played in more meaningful games than us...

In that stretch they:
-- Won our H2H matchup
-- Won the SEC East 3x to our ACC Coastal 1x (SEC way more impressive of an achievement and they did it 3x and more recently)
-- Won an Orange Bowl, and have 4x the bowl wins we do

And they have 50% more active players than we do in the NFL.

We've been a joke with the exception of one fcking year that we lost in the Orange Bowl and thumped Notre Dame at home (great game I was there).

Some of you guys have a victim complex about high school kids making personal decisions about their future and what is best for them and y'all call them disloyal for not choosing the school you support. Grow the fck up. Give them a product that is worthwhile and they'll come like they did when we were good.

Even when you exclude their 5 year stretch with Tebow and chips they still won and played in more meaningful games than us...

In that stretch they:
-- Won our H2H matchup
-- Won the SEC East 3x to our ACC Coastal 1x (SEC way more impressive of an achievement and they did it 3x and more recently)

We've been a joke with the exception of one fcking year that we lost in the Orange Bowl and thumped Notre Dame at home (great game I was there).

Some of you guys have a victim complex about high school kids making personal decisions about their future and what is best for them and y'all call them disloyal for not choosing the school you support. Grow the fck up. Give them a product that is worthwhile and they'll come like they did when we were good.

Since 2013, one team's record is 75-51 and the other is 74-51. Both are on coach #4.

In that stretch they:
-- Won our H2H matchup

This idea that people have victim complex is stupid. Because they will point to schools who have been similar irrelevant, then u gonna but this and but that. Our infrastructure has been poor the local kids probably do need to see us win. But the national kids dont hold us to that. Which is why im glad we going national and getting way better traction. When we popping and local kids get passed over, like is inevitable, are you gonna say Miami made a decision for their program and their future? 2 way street, keep the same energy. I heard the same thing from UGA fans about Kirby going national, he told them to kick rocks and won 2 titles

Advertisement
This idea that people have victim complex is stupid. Because they will point to schools who have been similar irrelevant, then u gonna but this and but that. Our infrastructure has been poor the local kids probably do need to see us win. But the national kids dont hold us to that. Which is why im glad we going national and getting way better traction. When we popping and local kids get passed over, like is inevitable, are you gonna say Miami made a decision for their program and their future? 2 way street, keep the same energy. I heard the same thing from UGA fans about Kirby going national, he told them to kick rocks and won 2 titles
I'm all about going national. Which we're doing. And once we get great national kids in that help us win, the local kids will want to come here and we'll choose the local kids that fit our culture and are talented to help us win

In that stretch they:
-- Won our H2H matchup

Totally nonresponsive and I am assuming the bolded was intended for someone else. I wasn't criticizing any of the kids or their decisions. I was criticizing your methodology and discussion of the "recent success" of UiF... which isn't very "recent" and seemed cherry-picked to include their last championship even though this most recent class of recruits were still working on their potty training back then. Most of that "recent" success was 11-15 years ago. I don't think HS kids making decisions about their futures today give a **** what either program looked like 10+ years and multiple staffs ago. That's all.

Totally nonresponsive and I am assuming the bolded was intended for someone else. I wasn't criticizing any of the kids or their decisions. I was criticizing your methodology and discussion of the "recent success" of UiF... which isn't very "recent" and seemed cherry-picked to include their last championship even though this most recent class of recruits were still working on their potty training back then. Most of that "recent" success was 11-15 years ago. I don't think HS kids making decisions about their futures today give a **** what either program looked like 10+ years and multiple staffs ago. That's all.
This was my reason for the gif lol. There is no difference in a team that was really good a couple years before you were born and one that was good when you were 2 or 3 as far as recency is concerned. I’ll also add add UF has not been ranked ever in the CFP. I could be wrong on that but oh well.

Advertisement

In fairness, most of their fan base are still wearing diapers and sleeping with a meth light on

Advertisement
Back