LB Depth

Owens is a 3-4 Outside Linebacker (4-3 Defensive End) anyway, isn't he?

If we stay in the 4-3 then his loss doesn't hurt us at all. He plays DE in the 4-3 and we're pretty good there.

I'm more worried about the fact that Kirby is starting. He's baaaaaaad.

If we played a 4-3, Owens would be an outside LB.

We literally have no one at LB outside Grace. McCord could have value but we ask him to do completely opposite what he is good at.

I guess Gayot, Young, and 1 of the FR will be the primary backups to McCord, Kirby Grace. Of course we have Toolbox Trent who apparently can play every position.

McCord is a Nickle Corner! LOL

Advertisement
So it looks like we'll be seeing James King, McCray, and Gondonier at least in on a few snaps to see who can fill in on the 2 deep. Wow, that's bad. Is Juwon Young done for the season, cause we need him.

Young is not out for the season. Last I heard he was really struggling to pick up the defense and was not expected to be a factor at all this year.

i heard that about young yet when i saw him play live during last year's spring game he was one of the few defenders actually making plays.

So it looks like we'll be seeing James King, McCray, and Gondonier at least in on a few snaps to see who can fill in on the 2 deep. Wow, that's bad. Is Juwon Young done for the season, cause we need him.

Young is not out for the season. Last I heard he was really struggling to pick up the defense and was not expected to be a factor at all this year.

i heard that about young yet when i saw him play live during last year's spring game he was one of the few defenders actually making plays.

With our current staff you are not allowed to freelance, make plays, and disrupt the offense. It's no wonder they don't want to play him if that's the case.

With our current staff you are not allowed to freelance, make plays, and disrupt the offense. It's no wonder they don't want to play him if that's the case.

This, Kirby knows where he's supposed to be he just can't make the play when he gets there. I have to believe we would be better off with Young in the middle and Kirby and Grace at OLB when Young is healthy.

They need to move Carter to LB. He'll be good in coverage(for an LB)and he knows how to come up and stop the run.

I'd love to think Carter can handle LB but I just don't think he has the vision and instinct to play LB. Let the kid get better as a DB and find a future in the NFL.

Advertisement

This, Kirby knows where he's supposed to be he just can't make the play when he gets there. I have to believe we would be better off with Young in the middle and Kirby and Grace at OLB when Young is healthy.

I agree on Kirby but I barely recall ever even seeing Juwon Young play..and now we all think he is better than Kirby?

I agree on Kirby but I barely recall ever even seeing Juwon Young play..and now we all think he is better than Kirby?

nobody said he's better than kirby. but we pretty much know what we have with kirby and would like to see what our younger more athletic lb can do. especially with the depth we have now.

nobody said he's better than kirby. but we pretty much know what we have with kirby and would like to see what our younger more athletic lb can do. especially with the depth we have now.

Hey I'm all for that! This season is at best a marginal bowl game season, so if that's the thinking, I'm good with it. Kirby is kinda meh, but he isn't "Jimmy Gaines- Bad"..lol

Kirby is not a MLB. He is scared to take on blocks from massive olineman. He is an OLB. Young looks the part but is very stiff ans cant make tkls from what i seen on special teams. Grace is all we got boys. Golden doesnt want to burn Gordinier redshirt but he might have too

Advertisement
Carter doesn't look to have the frame to pack on another 25lbs and not lose any athleticism..He already isn't the burner I thought he was out of HS. (thought he was a legit 4.5 kid...seems like a 4.65 speed type on the field) So I wouldn't want him at LB.

PLUS he is going to get lost on the depth chart next year if our LB recruits stay committed. (McCloud especially is coming for someones spot. Shaq is a given)

I am a little surprised at JYoung taking so long to develop mentally. Physically he looked the part out of HS. But him still not being able to get the playbook down isn't a good sign. I know this is a very complex scheme. You would think they would find ways to make it easier or simpler for guys such as him that need to get on the field to at least get reps.

If we stay in the 4-3 then his loss doesn't hurt us at all. He plays DE in the 4-3 and we're pretty good there.

Kirby had 14 tackles

Advertisement

Owens plays OLB in our 3-4, but I don't agree with that at all. He's a converted safety that would make a perfect Will OLB in a 4-3.

They need to move Carter to LB. He'll be good in coverage(for an LB)and he knows how to come up and stop the run.

I'd love to think Carter can handle LB but I just don't think he has the vision and instinct to play LB. Let the kid get better as a DB and find a future in the NFL.

But that hurts the rotation at S.

I'm saying KEEP him at safety ....don't move him to LB.

I also say keep him at safety and go to a 4-2-5. It just stands to reason. We are terribly thin at LB and have the talent in the secondary. This way we get Carter, Bush, and Jenkins on the field together a lot more.
....Forget it guys. This staff would never do it and if they did, they would just trot Crawford out there anyway. ***** it. Go Big Red!!!!

But that hurts the rotation at S.

I'm saying KEEP him at safety ....don't move him to LB.

I also say keep him at safety and go to a 4-2-5. It just stands to reason. We are terribly thin at LB and have the talent in the secondary. This way we get Carter, Bush, and Jenkins on the field together a lot more.
....Forget it guys. This staff would never do it and if they did, they would just trot Crawford out there anyway. ***** it. Go Big Red!!!!

I agree except for that last part BS, run a 4-2-5 and have gayot out there, more teams been running more DBs with the spread and we still run a base smh

Advertisement

Kirby had 14 tackles

Hes extremely bad, that FAU game scared the **** out of me, he hit the wrong gap and missed so many key tackles

Owens plays OLB in our 3-4, but I don't agree with that at all. He's a converted safety that would make a perfect Will OLB in a 4-3.

Owens was a safety?

Owens was a safety?

Yes in high school but he was recruited to play LB.

I agree that Owens could make a nice Will. From what I have seen though, I don't think he was playing a true 3-4 OLB role. I think Owens has been playing SAM in the 4-3 alignment . It is a hybrid defense so when we go 3-4 I believe Owens was playing one of the 2 ILB positions. Grace and one of Harris/Jackson/AQM would then be the OLBs in the 3-4. Hope that makes sense.

Advertisement
Back