Lawrence Cager

That's fine if the younger guys beat out Cager for PT. Again, you take Cager off the roster, that doesn't mean you free up a spot for someone else. All it means is we have 7 wr's instead of 8 and 78 scholarship players instead of 79, or whatever the actual final numbers will be. We are not in a position where the 85 scholarship limit comes into play, so there is literally zero upside to throwing away players.

If Cager thinks he's got a shot to going pro and there is some team out there that can convince him they will feature him in a way that will help him get there, then I'm all for him doing what is best for him. From a purely Miami Hurricanes perspective, the program is better off if he stays for his last season than if he doesn't.
8 Wr's instead of 7 Pope, Ezzard, Hightower, Payton, Harley, Njoku, Osborn, Wiggins and we will definitely need 1 or 2 more Wr, like tj jones and JT might come back.

Advertisement
IF, and I know it’s a big IF, what Vern said is true, and the WRs said they didn’t want Grimes, I bet Cager was the leader of that crew. Regardless what Grimes did or didn’t do, I don’t like players afraid of comp. Cager is valued for his height. But if you do everything right but catch the ball, it’s all irelevant. He had position on about 90-95% of his red zone jump balls and dropped every other it seemed. I’d much rather get Evidence ready for that role and let him go eat.

Vern is full of crap. Any time a rumor is leaked you have to question where the info is coming from. If it's coming from Grimes & his camp then they were told this info from the coaching staff. Why would the staff sell out their own guys to an outsider like that? If it's not coming from Grmes or the staff then it's the players. Why would they snitch on themselves for being afraid of competition?

Occam's razor is your friend here. The simplest explanation is the coaches didn't want Grimes. He's an average talent who ditched the local program and there wasn't a lack of depth/talent at the position. Kick rocks.

Cager was grossly misused by Richt and staff. If I was him I'd be a ****-stirring malcontent and look to transfer. Bring him back if he's gonna be used properly.

g8rh8rMD said:
That's fine if the younger guys beat out Cager for PT. Again, you take Cager off the roster, that doesn't mean you free up a spot for someone else. All it means is we have 7 wr's instead of 8 and 78 scholarship players instead of 79, or whatever the actual final numbers will be. We are not in a position where the 85 scholarship limit comes into play, so there is literally zero upside to throwing away players.

If Cager thinks he's got a shot to going pro and there is some team out there that can convince him they will feature him in a way that will help him get there, then I'm all for him doing what is best for him. From a purely Miami Hurricanes perspective, the program is better off if he stays for his last season than if he doesn't.

8 Wr's instead of 7 Pope, Ezzard, Hightower, Payton, Harley, Njoku, Osborn, Wiggins and we will definitely need 1 or 2 more Wr, like tj jones and JT might come back.

Are you willfully ignoring the point, or what is your agenda here?

Let me break this down for you. If you want to run a full spring game, and have each team have the ability to go 5 wide, you need at least ten receivers. If you want more than 2 QB's to get reps in practice, you need more like 15. I get that there are walk-ons, but the more D1 level scholarship players you have the better, even if the guy never sees the field in a **** game.

It's not like we're talking about throwing away the golf cart to make room in the garage for a Ferrari. In fact, throwing away Cager would only be replacing him on the depth chart with a walk-on.

I give up, bro. You win...

I think there was a link sent out showing the number of drop passes I think cager was very high. Anyone have that link if he comes back I'm gonna post all media that everyday until ****es him off enough that you see himm on the jugs machine all day long

g8rh8rMD said:

Are you willfully ignoring the point, or what is your agenda here?

Let me break this down for you. If you want to run a full spring game, and have each team have the ability to go 5 wide, you need at least ten receivers. If you want more than 2 QB's to get reps in practice, you need more like 15. I get that there are walk-ons, but the more D1 level scholarship players you have the better, even if the guy never sees the field in a **** game.

It's not like we're talking about throwing away the golf cart to make room in the garage for a Ferrari. In fact, throwing away Cager would only be replacing him on the depth chart with a walk-on.

I give up, bro. You win...
Obviously if your going 5 wide, we will be using TE's not just Wide Recievers.

Advertisement
He's repped the Canes harder than most. His game has been underwhelming but I can overlook the treason. I'd be upset in that offense too.

Let's blame Rosier and take him back...easy. Rosier threw awkward spirals when they were below 7'4 and hit you in the hands....there, all better.

UM

Cager was going to sign with Baga out of HS, but then Nick Saban shook his hand on an in home visit and realized that this 6'5 WR has smaller hands than he does.

He immediately pulled the offer and let Golden think he beat him out for a top recruit.

Advertisement
Exactly. And he's only got one year left, so it's not like he's taking up a scholly that we could use somewhere else. IF he comes back, as long as he has to compete for reps and PT, I'm completely fine with it.

@1LuvCane I would love for you to help me understand where I am wrong. Where do you see our final scholarship numbers being entering spring practice? Thanks in advance.

Obviously if your going 5 wide, we will be using TE's not just Wide Recievers.

Cool. Thanks man. That has absolutely nothing to do with whether the team is better off with more scholarship players or fewer scholarship players.

Look at how the Rams use Robert Woods. If we do the same for Cager, he'd put up numbers. Think Woods/Cooks, Cager/JT4. Stack those guys and play them off each other.

Regardless of whether you buy that or not, Cager has never been a problem for the coaches or the locker room, he has made big catches for us, as well as bad drops, granted, him leaving would just be one less wr in the room and one less scholarship player on the roster. I hope he comes back if nothing else to allow us to fill out a full spring game, scrimmages, and practices, and provide depth.
How praytell do you know hes never bee a problem? Would you deem threatening the coaches in front of the rest of the team about your playing time is a problem? How about saying in that same forum that you're not gonna block cause that's not what you were brought here for & your body cant handle it? Still no problem? Him and one other reciever did that bi weekly. When Thomas was talking about cancers it was them that he was speaking about. It's one thing to have an issue and voice it to your coaches. It's another (ESPECIALLY when your unit looks to you for leadership) to tell players and staff what you will or wont do as a teammate... personally I call that an issue.

Advertisement
I never liked Cager as a prospect so not surprised he didnt do well here, I think Hightower is beyond better and fill in for him and do the same thing (whoops not the same things hopefully) Put Hightower or Njoku there and whatever u asked Cager to do last season these kids can do it better.

I never liked Cager as a prospect so not surprised he didnt do well here, I think Hightower is beyond better and fill in for him and do the same thing (whoops not the same things hopefully) Put Hightower or Njoku there and whatever u asked Cager to do last season these kids can do it better.

Njoku needs to do a better job catching the football. Seems like he had a ton of drops last season. Not sure of the stats but it just felt that way.

How praytell do you know hes never bee a problem? Would you deem threatening the coaches in front of the rest of the team about your playing time is a problem? How about saying in that same forum that you're not gonna block cause that's not what you were brought here for & your body cant handle it? Still no problem? Him and one other reciever did that bi weekly. When Thomas was talking about cancers it was them that he was speaking about. It's one thing to have an issue and voice it to your coaches. It's another (ESPECIALLY when your unit looks to you for leadership) to tell players and staff what you will or wont do as a teammate... personally I call that an issue.

Welp, you've certainly opened my eyes. I don't recall ever having seen any of what you're saying reported previously. If that is all true, then he can definitely GTFO.

You seem to be pretty clued in, so I'm going to take what you say and accept it at face value, but **** if that is all true, then WTF was Dugans doing playing the guy so much??? On the one hand, we've got younger guys who can make plays sitting on the bench, and on the other we've got Dugans trotting this guy out there over and over again to see him drop passes and whiff on blocks while at the same time the RBC/Co-OC is calling him a cancer because Cager is a total bicch? Man, if true that O-staff was disfunctional as ****.

Anyways, taking this new info into consideration, then yeah, he can GTFO. My previous statements were apparently all based on bad info that Cager was a hard worker, team player, and good leader who was giving all he had within the limitations of his abilities and with how he was being coached. The moment any of that's not true, then getting rid of him is absolutely addition by subtraction.

Thanks for the info.

Advertisement
the previous staff offered him over DJ Moore. The end.

I'm conflicted on Cager.
He reps the U and you can see he wants to help the team win. I always comeback to the FSU game where he dropped a 3rd down fade and asked for the ball again and made the catch on another fade on 4th down.
On the flip side his hands are unreliable, he doesn't get open regularly and he doesnt bully smaller corners

He doesn't have much upside, but he does offer some qualities that could be put to good use on the red zone especially if he figures out the catching part of being a receiver. So for 1 more year I would be ok with any outcome. If he comes back I'm sure Manny won't play favorites on offense, he will have to earn PT, if he doesn't come back next man up.

Advertisement
Back