Lawrence Cager

How many years Cager had to acquire that skill? How many years that Ross kid at Clemson had? You either got it or not.

No. Catching errors are mostly caused by technique. Concentration drops happen but there are many technical elements to catching depending on where the ball is located. Matt Waldman often goes in-depth on hands technique if you want to learn about it.

Advertisement
Cager is maddening because kid is very talented but his personality is horrible. He always celebrates after a 10 yard catch even if we are down 30 . I hate that crap. He also makes the incredible hard catches but drops the easy ones . But I am fine with him coming back but if JT4 comes back with KJ here now he will at best be the 4th or 5th WR.

Cager is 6'5" but he's not a conventional big-bodied X receiver. His technique needs work but more than that he needs to be put in narrow bunch and stack alignments where he can get a free release with a 2-way go and use his foot quickness and big frame to his advantage. He has plenty of ability and it's sad that Canes fans **** on him all the time instead of looking at the context. A smart staff could squeeze a good year out of him.

Look back on his struggles and where do they occur? When he's an isolated outside receiver in static 11 personnel groupings vs. press coverage with Richt calling for slants, fades and switch verts. I'll repeat Cager is not a big, physical receiver; he wins in the small receiver game but has unique size for someone with light feet.

I've probably made this post 5 times in the last year or so and hopefully this is the last time.

Look at how the Rams use Robert Woods. If we do the same for Cager, he'd put up numbers. Think Woods/Cooks, Cager/JT4. Stack those guys and play them off each other.

Regardless of whether you buy that or not, Cager has never been a problem for the coaches or the locker room, he has made big catches for us, as well as bad drops, granted, him leaving would just be one less wr in the room and one less scholarship player on the roster. I hope he comes back if nothing else to allow us to fill out a full spring game, scrimmages, and practices, and provide depth.

Lotta WRs who’ve had underwhelming careers here balled out their senior year. He’s going to have to earn his touches now, so I’m fine if he sticks around.
He's still a good red zone target and with a new OC he could be serviceable. I'd welcome him back but we're fine either way. It's hyperbole to say he's useless or wouldn't help at all.

Advertisement
If he wants to stay, fine. Just know his boy Dugans got **** canned so he won't get a bunch of playing time just because he's older. The guy literally dropped one pass for every two he caught last year. No receiver in college football should be playing with that poor of a ratio.

If he wants to stay, fine. Just know his boy Dugans got **** canned so he won't get a bunch of playing time just because he's older. The guy literally dropped one pass for every two he caught last year. No receiver in college football should be playing with that poor of a ratio.
He also doesn't fight for jump balls and gets pushed around by corners half his size.

Advertisement
Too many times Cager doesn't time up his jump for balls, pushes off on dbs almost like he panics, looks for the tackler before he truly possesses the ball, doesnt high point it completely and some other things. Catching is easy when q receiver just locks in to catch the ball and concentrates the problem is Cager you can tell is in his own head but a play like his second td againat FSU drops the first by mistiming the jump then told Perry "come back I got this" and the next play is the same play with better coverage and Mossed the db thats when you're not in your own head

The reason he's worthless on jump balls is because he's a body catcher. He never learned to catch the ball with his hands so being 6'5" is completely worthless if you can only catch the ball in your belly.
That's true. He's also softer than charmin.

It's a new day. I say, if he wants back in, just like JT, have the team decide. If they allow him back, then he's got to convince the coaches that he will work on his own, much like some of our players in the past who worked out with Duper, and learn to become an elite WR. This isn't rocket science. He can train himself to catch the ball consistently and practice each route a thousand times and make it muscle memory. He's useful, but he's got to be dedicated to putting in his own work as well as team expectations. If he's willing to do that, then he's a weapon and I say let him back.

Advertisement
When Marshall dropped that pass this weekend my first thought was Cager. Immediately reminded me of everything we have seen from him while he's been here

IF, and I know it’s a big IF, what Vern said is true, and the WRs said they didn’t want Grimes, I bet Cager was the leader of that crew. Regardless what Grimes did or didn’t do, I don’t like players afraid of comp. Cager is valued for his height. But if you do everything right but catch the ball, it’s all irelevant. He had position on about 90-95% of his red zone jump balls and dropped every other it seemed. I’d much rather get Evidence ready for that role and let him go eat.

Advertisement
What happened this year with the WR core was ultimately the fault of Dugans (who I liked). There was zero accountability and he played favorites. That wasn’t the players, including Cagers, fault....

Look at how the Rams use Robert Woods. If we do the same for Cager, he'd put up numbers. Think Woods/Cooks, Cager/JT4. Stack those guys and play them off each other.

Regardless of whether you buy that or not, Cager has never been a problem for the coaches or the locker room, he has made big catches for us, as well as bad drops, granted, him leaving would just be one less wr in the room and one less scholarship player on the roster. I hope he comes back if nothing else to allow us to fill out a full spring game, scrimmages, and practices, and provide depth.
We have evidence and Hightower to do that, cager can go.

We have evidence and Hightower to do that, cager can go.

That's fine if the younger guys beat out Cager for PT. Again, you take Cager off the roster, that doesn't mean you free up a spot for someone else. All it means is we have 7 wr's instead of 8 and 78 scholarship players instead of 79, or whatever the actual final numbers will be. We are not in a position where the 85 scholarship limit comes into play, so there is literally zero upside to throwing away players.

If Cager thinks he's got a shot to going pro and there is some team out there that can convince him they will feature him in a way that will help him get there, then I'm all for him doing what is best for him. From a purely Miami Hurricanes perspective, the program is better off if he stays for his last season than if he doesn't.

Advertisement
Back