Laurence Seymore SR HL

Wait so this guy is center and rodriguez is also?! WTF, they havent learned from the 3 centers we have out there now?? Man we never learn..
Dallas Cowboys Eye Roll GIF by ScooterMagruder

Advertisement
He got to a second level blocker more times in the clip than our entire OL combined for the season.

Wait so this guy is center and rodriguez is also?! WTF, they havent learned from the 3 centers we have out there now?? Man we never learn..
Big Baby is better than ANY of the 3 centers we currently have coming in as a freshman.

I prefer him at guard. Height is overrated. But Big Baby doesn't have the arm length to handle a Rousseau type DE as an OT, not that there are many of those out there. And with his quick first step, he'll be more impactful in the interior by being very effective with the zone blocking, pulling and getting to the linebackers/second level.

The one thing I worry about looking at his highlight tapes is his conditioning. I've been following his progression for three years and think he's going to be special. But he needs to be in (much) better shape to handle our tempo. I was hoping he would be able to contribute at OG or C next season. But not without a lot more time with Feeley.

I prefer him at guard. Height is overrated. But Big Baby doesn't have the arm length to handle a Rousseau type DE as an OT, not that there are many of those out there. And with his quick first step, he'll be more impactful in the interior by being very effective with the zone blocking, pulling and getting to the linebackers/second level.

The one thing I worry about looking at his highlight tapes is his conditioning. I've been following his progression for three years and think he's going to be special. But he needs to be in (much) better shape to handle our tempo. I was hoping he would be able to contribute at OG or C next season. But not without a lot more time with Feeley.
Agree on the conditioning, but I look at it as a positive. He has a lot of untapped physical upside once he spends January-August in our program. He's not a Donaldson-type that needs to drop a ton of pounds.

Advertisement

All of this. Need him to be a kid stuck to Feeley. At his height if he can get in real tip top shape....He can be like a Shaq Mason or Isaiah WYnn...though Wynn had longer arms and is slightly taller.

His talent level is above his size requirements. So S&C imo will be more important for Baby.

Big Baby is better than ANY of the 3 centers we currently have coming in as a freshman.
Donaldson had hype coming in too, Darling was supposed to be good.. I dont know what it is but development is not a strong suit in coral gables, especially on the line.. Hope he reverses the trend, 15+ years of trash and its getting beyond ridiculous

Advertisement
Donaldson had hype coming in too, Darling was supposed to be good.. I dont know what it is but development is not a strong suit in coral gables, especially on the line.. Hope he reverses the trend, 15+ years of trash and its getting beyond ridiculous
Donaldson just didnt have hype...he was good. Weight/injury issues slowed him down. Was Darling straight out trash here?. i dont remember him being downright bad..just a solid player.

What did you think of Rodriguez and Armella after seeing them up close?
Straight up bullies. Early in the game Rodriguez and co had their hands full with Tarber, but truth be told, they wore him down as the game went on. They were relentless. We had to stay in our "beef" package (3 defensive tackles) otherwise they just pushed our starting DE's around.

Armella is a holder though, but the physicality is all there. He's a jerk on the field and was completely frustrating our DE to the point where it cost us a personal foul penalty late in the game when we made a critical 3rd down stop. That's what you want from an O-lineman. Reminds me a lot of how Feliciano was. He's gonna try to bully you between the whistle to the point where it gets you out of your game. Then after the whistle's blown he'll throw his hands up like "I ain't doin nothin." lol

Advertisement
Easy there, buddy.
Macho I know ur a huge proponent of Rodriguez. As a guy who had to scout against him for a bit is he a guy who can be a center or a guard? Or should we stick him at center and let him work. Also how does he compare as a prospect to Clark gaynor and big baby. As those guys will be his competition

Donaldson just didnt have hype...he was good. Weight/injury issues slowed him down. Was Darling straight out trash here?. i dont remember him being downright bad..just a solid player.

Darling didn't live up to expectations. Combine that with the fact we were losing and our QBs were getting sacked too often, and he and little McDermott were personae non gratae here on the boards. I think they played roughly equivalently to what we saw with this year's line, so-so, even passable, but not championship level. Scheme and lack of development really hurt them, too.

Macho I know ur a huge proponent of Rodriguez. As a guy who had to scout against him for a bit is he a guy who can be a center or a guard? Or should we stick him at center and let him work. Also how does he compare as a prospect to Clark gaynor and big baby. As those guys will be his competition
I think Rodriguez can play both. I honestly don't know enough about OL to say where he'll project better. He played both C and G against us.
I like him better than Clark and Gaynor. And I think he may be in better shape than Big Baby. They play with a similar attitude though.

My only question about Rodriguez is, I wonder how he handles moving targets. Reason I say that is, the last 2 seasons we've played him I've seen him whiff/fall on his face a few times trying to hit agile targets. Could be a sign of over-aggression as opposed to lack of athleticism, I'm not really sure though. But when he's able to zone in on a target and lock in, he's nasty.

Advertisement
My only question about Rodriguez is, I wonder how he handles moving targets. Reason I say that is, the last 2 seasons we've played him I've seen him whiff/fall on his face a few times trying to hit agile targets. Could be a sign of over-aggression as opposed to lack of athleticism, I'm not really sure though. But when he's able to zone in on a target and lock in, he's nasty.

Is he in the right spot on time and just taking bad angles? Could just be poor technique. If it's lack of athleticism, keep him at Center.

If we put Campbell at guard and give him an entire offseason of training there we could have a great line. Unless he’s ready to be a great right tackle.

My line next year in order:
Nelson Donaldson Clark rivers scaife/Campbell

Scaife was a good right tackle so I’m not ready to give up on him
He was the offensive mvp as tackle! Now we see lists of him with the perception that he’s a jag after a position switch.

Maybe the former mvp should move back to tackle?

This stuff is becoming a blur but he was supposed to be a pillar with Mcdermott to protect Kayaa.. We didnt really recruit numbers on oline (we always seem to underr ecruit which mean we need to hit on guys we do get).. I think he was jerked around too, moved from tackle to guard when he should have stayed at guard and been allowed to develop.. We under recruit position, put the guys we do get in wrong positions because of under recruitment and the whole unit looks like trash because you have guards at tackle who cant keep up and now centers at guard who arent strong enough..

When will it stop, lol..

He was the offensive mvp as tackle! Now we see lists of him with the perception that he’s a jag after a position switch.

Maybe the former mvp should move back to tackle?
Simple but our coaches don’t seem to get it. Maybe it was because Williams was such a solid tackle. I’d like to see scaife back out at right tackle

Advertisement
Back