Latest on Lonnie Walker IV

Oh yeah? I saw a stat during the Draft last year that since 2006, there have been 55 one-and-done lottery picks. Only nine became All-Stars. Kinda tough to get that coveted max contract if you're not even an All Star.

But I also just admitted that it's a tough sell to most kids if you're not promising that an extra year will increase their draft stock.

Do two-and-done players have a better track record? If so, you may have a point. I doubt it though.

Advertisement
Do two-and-done players have a better track record? If so, you may have a point. I doubt it though.

Not a chance. What Tad seemed to forget is 9/55 players become all stars in the NBA is an awesome percentage. I'm not sure if he realizes, how few players become all stars in the NBA.

Not a chance. What Tad seemed to forget is 9/55 players become all stars in the NBA is an awesome percentage. I'm not sure if he realizes, how few players become all stars in the NBA.

I don't know that I'd call it an awesome %. How many guys are named All Stars each year? Like 25. That's 250 All Star slots over this period and only 9 one-and-done lottery picks have ever cracked them.

All that said, I don't have access to Howie Schwab so I can't really refute any of this with some stat about two-and-dones. Also, the one-and-dones as a whole certainly haven't been large-scale busts but any NBA exec/coach will tell you that they certainly would prefer if they didn't have to develop these 19 yr olds at their level- but the system is what it is so they do have to keep drafting them and then often waiting for them to produce.

My original point was a more personalized one though. Some players/parents do see long-term value in being the most ready physically and mentally before they make the jump- even if it doesn't change their draft position. I think that's what Papa Walker is at least paying lip service to.

Well lebron took up 10 of those spots and he didn’t have any college

So shouldn’t he count in the one and done camp?

Advertisement
Dwyane Wade is a good example of a two and done. He was in college three years but was ineligible his freshmen year. Sophomore year he was the leading scorer, led Marquette to a 5 seed in the tourney and ended up losing to 12 seed Tulsa. They finished 26-7 that season. His junior year again he's the leading scorer but he leads Marquette to the final four with the team finishing ranked 5 overall. His performance in the tourney is highly publicized leading him to be picked fifth. ESPNs draft grades column on the 2003 draft had this to say:

"It's tough to criticize Pat Riley for passing on Lampe when 24 other teams did the same thing. Wade was the most ready to contribute now, and that was important to Riley. He should be able to step in right away and play together with Eddie Jones. The only knock on the pick is that Wade won't give them much-needed perimeter shooting. But his athleticism, defense and maturity make up for that. Beasley is a great second-round pick. He'll have to work harder than he's ever worked to play with Riley, but that effort could turn him into the steal of the second round."

Oh yeah? I saw a stat during the Draft last year that since 2006, there have been 55 one-and-done lottery picks. Only nine became All-Stars. Kinda tough to get that coveted max contract if you're not even an All Star.

But I also just admitted that it's a tough sell to most kids if you're not promising that an extra year will increase their draft stock.
Well that stat is completely wrong. There have been over 80 one and dones, and in this year's all star game 11 of them were one and dones.

To many of these kids think they are greater than they actually are. A college degree from the U is quite valuable and there are no guarantees for athletes in any sport but the degree is a lifelong asset. Even though these athletes can get big bucks, how many end up broke and look at the political stances of these uneducated morons in the pros...the ones who finish college are more apt to succeed in life and in the future. When it is all about the money it shows they lack character and are selfish in life.

Well that stat is completely wrong. There have been over 80 one and dones, and in this year's all star game 11 of them were one and dones.

One-and-done LOTTERY PICKS is the stat I was quoting. The premise of the discussion wasn't a debate about the one-and-done kids in general but whether it can behoove the elite ones (the lottery picks) to come back for another year of college even if it may not dramatically improve their draft stock.

20180324_144155.png

Last edited:
Advertisement
I don't know that I'd call it an awesome %. How many guys are named All Stars each year? Like 25. That's 250 All Star slots over this period and only 9 one-and-done lottery picks have ever cracked them.

All that said, I don't have access to Howie Schwab so I can't really refute any of this with some stat about two-and-dones. Also, the one-and-dones as a whole certainly haven't been large-scale busts but any NBA exec/coach will tell you that they certainly would prefer if they didn't have to develop these 19 yr olds at their level- but the system is what it is so they do have to keep drafting them and then often waiting for them to produce.

My original point was a more personalized one though. Some players/parents do see long-term value in being the most ready physically and mentally before they make the jump- even if it doesn't change their draft position. I think that's what Papa Walker is at least paying lip service to.

its not 9/250 though since many of those 250 spots are taken up by the same player year in and year out. Also, keep in mind that a lot of those years the all star spots where filled by guys who were veterans in the league. Also just counting lottery picks is a useless stat to consider being a one and done you should just count all one and done's together. I gauruntee if you take all 1 and dones and compare them to any other 2 and done, 3 and done, 4 and done, etc. and find out what percentage of them became all stars the 1 and done is the highest. Even the 1 and done lottery pick will be higher and any of the other options.

To many of these kids think they are greater than they actually are. A college degree from the U is quite valuable and there are no guarantees for athletes in any sport but the degree is a lifelong asset. Even though these athletes can get big bucks, how many end up broke and look at the political stances of these uneducated morons in the pros...the ones who finish college are more apt to succeed in life and in the future. When it is all about the money it shows they lack character and are selfish in life.

He could just save 160k of his contract and if he gets injured he can come back and complete the last 3 years of his education. There is 0 chance UM is not going to let Lonnie with his 4.0 come back and pay for his education.

Advertisement
Back