Latest on Lonnie Walker IV

Advertisement
I guess that's more promising news than I'd expect. Still don't expect him to come back, but it would be great news.

He is an excellent student. Wanted to be pre med but because of scheduling had to "settle' for engineering. Besides development, he made also one to get another leg up on his education. Heck, he might like it. He told Bilas that science was his favorite subject.

Advertisement
Its hard for me to believe a guy who is pretty much guaranteed to go top half of the first round wont leave but it does happen some times.

Advertisement
Me too (hoping he says). Gotta feeling he'd make a quantum leap forward in confidence and production in year 2 at UM.

Look, it could all be lip service but Papa Walker sure as **** is saying all the right things (as he's done in the past too). Bruce Brown wisely not hiring an agent too rings of a different vibe than we've become accustomed to with the football team. For sure, everyone might dip but at least it looks like they're seriously weighing their options/future instead of blindly believing the first clown that gets in their ears screaming "Time to get paid!".

Advertisement
I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I did feel he might want to come back. Have a great year and be a 1-5 instead of a 15 and over

Advertisement
From Kyle Austin, writing a few days ago in the East Lansing paper about Bridges:

"Bridges is widely projected as a lottery pick, as he's an athletic freak who can play above the rim. He was a 17-point per game scorer in the Big Ten for two seasons, showing an ability to hit from outside, get to the rim, defend and play in the open floor.

Whether or not this sophomore season helped him, though, is up for debate. His projections are largely the same as they were last year ..."

He basically stayed to show the NBA he could play on the perimeter (where his pro future lay). His frosh year, he played inside. So, not really like LW's situation.

From Kyle Austin, writing a few days ago in the East Lansing paper about Bridges:

"Bridges is widely projected as a lottery pick, as he's an athletic freak who can play above the rim. He was a 17-point per game scorer in the Big Ten for two seasons, showing an ability to hit from outside, get to the rim, defend and play in the open floor.

Whether or not this sophomore season helped him, though, is up for debate. His projections are largely the same as they were last year ..."

He basically stayed to show the NBA he could play on the perimeter (where his pro future lay). His frosh year, he played inside. So, not really like LW's situation.

It's a tough one to preach (and I'm not sure how it'd apply to this specific kid) but it seems like that extra year of college would vasssstlly help a lot of these one-and-dones once they GET to the NBA even if it doesn't improve their Draft Day status. Seems like a ton get buried on rosters after they can't adjust physically and/or mentally quick enough during their rookie year.

It's a tough one to preach (and I'm not sure how it'd apply to this specific kid) but it seems like that extra year of college would vasssstlly help a lot of these one-and-dones once they GET to the NBA even if it doesn't improve their Draft Day status. Seems like a ton get buried on rosters after they can't adjust physically and/or mentally quick enough during their rookie year.

If it doesn't help your draft position, it was a waste of a year.

If it doesn't help your draft position, it was a waste of a year.

Oh yeah? I saw a stat during the Draft last year that since 2006, there have been 55 one-and-done lottery picks. Only nine became All-Stars. Kinda tough to get that coveted max contract if you're not even an All Star.

But I also just admitted that it's a tough sell to most kids if you're not promising that an extra year will increase their draft stock.

Advertisement
Back