Tears Last Nerve III: Head to Head Against Deion (was Neon Deion Coaching Megathread)

Advertisement
Lets assume Deion does the impossible and brings in between 52-63 portal players this year. The vast majority of these will have 1-2 years of eligibility. Hard 25 IC count kicks in next year. He will likely be losing 35-40 players the next two years and only able to replace 25 of them under the best case scenario. This means a roster of 50-70 players for the foreseeable future.

There's a reason why coaches try to spread out positions over multiple recruiting cycles or you can get devastated at certain positions groups and have no overall depth. However, Deion likely doesn't care about this, the dude after him will have to clean up this mess when he jumps to the next rung in the ladder.

But Deion is so smart that roster management math doesn't apply to him.

I'll bet they have over 70 come fall. And that's me being conservative. I think people are misinterpreting some of the numbers.

Man, this guy lives rent free in a lot of heads around here.

Me, I don't care what he does at Colorado. If he succeeds, great. If he doesn't, great. He takes a player away from us, that's on our coaches.

If he ends up at FSU somehow (I think he'd jump to the pro ranks first), then he's maybe worth some conversation.

As a player, he was fun to watch. Before all this coaching stuff, plenty of people on Miami message boards used to talk about how he was the most Miami like player the Noles ever had. There wasn't this dislike or even outright hatred.

***** weird up in here. Read some of it and that's enough for me.

Advertisement
Man, this guy lives rent free in a lot of heads around here.

Me, I don't care what he does at Colorado. If he succeeds, great. If he doesn't, great. He takes a player away from us, that's on our coaches.

If he ends up at FSU somehow (I think he'd jump to the pro ranks first), then he's maybe worth some conversation.

As a player, he was fun to watch. Before all this coaching stuff, plenty of people on Miami message boards used to talk about how he was the most Miami like player the Noles ever had. There wasn't this dislike or even outright hatred.

***** weird up in here. Read some of it and that's enough for me.
I believe this is a message board about football

Lets assume Deion does the impossible and brings in between 52-63 portal players this year. The vast majority of these will have 1-2 years of eligibility. Hard 25 IC count kicks in next year. He will likely be losing 35-40 players the next two years and only able to replace 25 of them under the best case scenario. This means a roster of 50-70 players for the foreseeable future.

There's a reason why coaches try to spread out positions over multiple recruiting cycles or you can get devastated at certain positions groups and have no overall depth. However, Deion likely doesn't care about this, the dude after him will have to clean up this mess when he jumps to the next rung in the ladder.

But Deion is so smart that roster management math doesn't apply to him.
He might be thinking if he can get a better second season than his first, Norvell will be out and he can go to FSU.

Um...they are YOUR staff...

Screenshot_20230225_005749_DuckDuckGo.png

Advertisement
Advertisement
I’m with you on your line of thinking

He pushed out some decent players though will be interesting to see where it settles

I hate him but he’s no dummy either

He pushed out a couple of decent players and truly lost some good ones too (as did Alabama, UGA, Miami, etc), it's not going to be perfect. But I'd bet after this turnover the CU roster is a good bit better than it was when he arrived, and that a year from now it's taken another step as well. He is clearly going to get some decent guys along the way, as well as a few elite kids that all programs covet. I mean, he already has some.

He is a wretched ******* and a bad human being that has somehow found a special sauce that allows him to prey on kids and their families, but it's going to improve CU football significantly IMO. Anyone that thinks CU is playing with 60 kids this year is going to be unpleasantly surprised. :(

He pushed out a couple of decent players and truly lost some good ones too (as did Alabama, UGA, Miami, etc), it's not going to be perfect. But I'd bet after this turnover the CU roster is a good bit better than it was when he arrived, and that a year from now it's taken another step as well. He is clearly going to get some decent guys along the way, as well as a few elite kids that all programs covet. I mean, he already has some.

He is a wretched ******* and a bad human being that has somehow found a special sauce that allows him to prey on kids and their families, but it's going to improve CU football significantly IMO. Anyone that thinks CU is playing with 60 kids this year is going to be unpleasantly surprised. :(
There are plenty of players in portal limbo. He'll take as many as he wants, but they may not be of the quality he'd prefer. He'll get the ones that buy into his bull****, the ones that think they can avoid it, and the ones who just need to go somewhere. There will always be ones who'll choose any port in a storm.

Advertisement
"One more thing I'd like to say: Any artists out there that wanna be an artist and want to stay a star, and don't wanna worry about the executive producer tryin' to be all in the videos, all on the record, dancin'...come to Death Row!"

Now apply to Deion at Colorado

There are plenty of players in portal limbo. He'll take as many as he wants, but they may not be of the quality he'd prefer. He'll get the ones that buy into his bull****, the ones that think they can avoid it, and the ones who just need to go somewhere. There will always be ones who'll choose any port in a storm.

Yeah but keep in mind what he pushed out was a 1-11 roster full of tiny, slow guys that were the worst group in P5. He doesn't have to enter 2023 with a CFP roster... **** he doesn't have to enter 2023 with a .500 roster... it just has to be significantly better than the 1-11 squad he pushed out. Then you sprinkle in the handful of 5* and 4* different makers he's landed, and it would be a major step forward for CU.

I'm basically conceding that he's going to majorly improve the roster right now. The question is, can he take another step with his talent acquisition if he goes 2-10 or 3-9 this year against that schedule? Or can he get out in front of that question by winning 4 or 5 games (I've already bet against him). The eye test will matter. Are they getting blown to bits each Saturday, or competing?

Yeah but keep in mind what he pushed out was a 1-11 roster full of tiny, slow guys that were the worst group in P5. He doesn't have to enter 2023 with a CFP roster... **** he doesn't have to enter 2023 with a .500 roster... it just has to be significantly better than the 1-11 squad he pushed out. Then you sprinkle in the handful of 5* and 4* different makers he's landed, and it would be a major step forward for CU.

I'm basically conceding that he's going to majorly improve the roster right now. The question is, can he take another step with his talent acquisition if he goes 2-10 or 3-9 this year against that schedule? Or can he get out in front of that question by winning 4 or 5 games (I've already bet against him). The eye test will matter. Are they getting blown to bits each Saturday, or competing?
I get all that. He's taking over a 1-11 team, there's nowhere to go but up. It's going to take sycophancy or desperation to get players after treating the current roster like this.

Meanwhile Mario lets people transfer out and this place loses its **** because they have an inflated view of that player's abilities.

I get all that. He's taking over a 1-11 team, there's nowhere to go but up. It's going to take sycophancy or desperation to get players after treating the current roster like this.

Meanwhile Mario lets people transfer out and this place loses its **** because they have an inflated view of that player's abilities.

See, I want to believe that part. But I don't. I think he has a hold over a certain type of kid and family, and it's strong. What we need to hope for is that their NIL implodes. There are rumors it's not that solid.

Advertisement
Back