Lashlee outlines offensive philosophy, talks King addition

Nothing impacts a Defense more negativiely than a slow paced 3 & out Pro style bro offense.

LSU, Clemson, Oh St, Bama, Auburn, Oregon, Penn St, Minnesota, SD St, Cal & Lousiana are all teams that run different variations of Uptempo Spread & maintain good Defenses.

I think you could be confusing Mike Leach's Pass only Air Raid with uptempo Spread. It's virtually impossible to field a good Defense when you throw the ball 80-90% of time, but our offensive system will be way more balanced than that. It'll be a 55/45 or 60/40 percentage for pass/run ratio, you can run the ball while still going fast paced. Tempo isn't just about throwing the ball every snap, it's about moving the ball quickly in both the pass & run game to keep defenses off balanced & not allowing them to substitute into different personnel so as to catch them off guard & create mismatches out of different offensive looks & wide splits.

Our Defenses problem will not be the offense being too productive or too fast, their issue will be about fixing the secondary & ensuring that the LB corps can maintain discipline & gap integrity.

The Spread offense is not a bad thing, it's literally one of the best things to ever happen to college football, our fans are just so used to Pro style bro that people think Spread is some kinda contagious incurable disease lol. Every major winning P5 program in college football runs some form of Spread, we're literally one of the few schools that don't up until now.

We've been behind the times for the last decade plus, we're just now catching up.
Dude. They need to give you a raise.

Advertisement
Anyone else have an Alfredo Golden "Are you kidding me?!" induced seizure when the first thing Lashlee said was "It's the University of Miami."?

I'm mostly kidding here as I do like everything I'm hearing from this dude so far and he seems to actually provide substance when speaking but I personally absolutely suffer from some corch and corchspeak ptsd from the last 15 years.

Anyone else have an Alfredo Golden "Are you kidding me?!" induced seizure when the first thing Lashlee said was "It's the University of Miami."?

I'm mostly kidding here as I do like everything I'm hearing from this dude so far and he seems to actually provide substance when speaking but I personally absolutely suffer from some corch and corchspeak ptsd from the last 15 years.

Al Golden press conference was the high point and I bought in unfortunately

Advertisement
For decades the inept fan base and more importantly player alums all fell for the words ‘pro style O’ and insisted on stagnation while others passed us by . We are prepping players for the NFL because the system title says so .... SMH !!! This stupidity is what always worries me with the bring back the player alums reactionary bs . Erickson and the 1 back O was a laughing stock until 2 titles in 3 years ... what I wouldn’t give now ...stay ahead not behind the curve . Sure we went back to even D front but this ain’t yo daddies 4-3!!

Our defensive numbers will absolutely suffer. Anyone who tells you otherwise hasn’t paid any attention to college football.

Most teams who have used this breakneck tempo have gotten away from it in recent years for that reason and because they would struggle being able to dial it down with a lead and burn clock.

It’s going to be fun to see how it plays out here.

Most teams that use crazy tempo don’t have a defense worth a **** at all.

We nit pick our defense, but I think it is the perfect complement to a high pace offense. I know numbers can be misleading, but teams with yards per play and total defense numbers like ours has produced are not usually the ones who run 90 plays a game.

Our strength is our front four rush. We nit pick it comparing our guys to all time greats, but it is very good for today’s game. We need to scale back the gimmicks, play more straight up, and emphasize forcing the quarterback to come off his quick reads and hold the ball. I keep saying, but we should blitz the linebackers more if we choose to bring pressure, especially on the delayed blitzes (which I don’t particularly like).

Hall and Bolden (if healthy, Smith otherwise) will make plays. I expect big jumps from Miller and Silvera and think Ford will be even more solid. The key is Ivey and the unproven linebackers. I know people are down on Ivey’s speed, but he was in position often. He should have redshirted and got thrown into the mix way to early. I think his awareness will improve . I think he will make more plays when in position. I expect Couch to be ready to take that spot if needed, but having Ivey step up will allow us to use Couch in nickel against speedy slots in the open field. He is best at that right now. Blades becoming a true number 1 will make everyone else’s job easier.

We can’t have record breaking 3 and outs. We have to get leads. This defense will be DEADLY with double digit leads. Maybe the best we have seen since Manny arrived. The offensive pace won’t hurt us unless we fail to score points like we have been.

We nit pick our defense, but I think it is the perfect complement to a high pace offense. I know numbers can be misleading, but teams with yards per play and total defense numbers like ours has produced are not usually the ones who run 90 plays a game.

Our strength is our front four rush. We nit pick it comparing our guys to all time greats, but it is very good for today’s game. We need to scale back the gimmicks, play more straight up, and emphasize forcing the quarterback to come off his quick reads and hold the ball. I keep saying, but we should blitz the linebackers more if we choose to bring pressure, especially on the delayed blitzes (which I don’t particularly like).

Hall and Bolden (if healthy, Smith otherwise) will make plays. I expect big jumps from Miller and Silvera and think Ford will be even more solid. The key is Ivey and the unproven linebackers. I know people are down on Ivey’s speed, but he was in position often. He should have redshirted and got thrown into the mix way to early. I think his awareness will improve . I think he will make more plays when in position. I expect Couch to be ready to take that spot if needed, but having Ivey step up will allow us to use Couch in nickel against speedy slots in the open field. He is best at that right now. Blades becoming a true number 1 will make everyone else’s job easier.

We can’t have record breaking 3 and outs. We have to get leads. This defense will be DEADLY with double digit leads. Maybe the best we have seen since Manny arrived. The offensive pace won’t hurt us unless we fail to score points like we have been.
Nice observation.....

I guess we’ll see. It’s definitely easier to pile up defensive stats when your offense is running one play every two minutes. And if you follow college football closely, you know that most programs that can recruit like us don’t run a breakneck pace. They’ve gone away from it because it puts too much strain on the defense, and they can’t hold leads as well or dial it down and run clock in the 4th.

It’ll be interesting. I’m one of the biggest proponents on here of increasing our tempo, and I was screaming for spread when 90% of the fanbase was still locked into pro style bro because that’s our brand bro.

I think the tempo will definitely be a net positive, but I can almost guarantee the defensive numbers will suffer.

Advertisement
Nothing wears out a defense more than constantly going three and out and asking them to bail the offense out over and over for an entire game. Not only do they get tired, they stop caring because what good is it to hold Louisiana Tech to 14 when your offense isn’t even close to getting 3? Statistically, your defensive numbers could slip a bit just by giving the opponent more possessions but winning 45-25 is the same thing as winning 20-0. LSU’s defense was statistically it’s worst in years in 2019. They won the championship.

Ohio State averaged over 78 plays per game last year. LSU over 74 and Clemson just under 74. They all played a majority of their games at a fast pace but playing fast doesn’t always mean more plays. If you’re getting significant “chunk yardage” plays, you’ll be able to score more while running fewer plays. Most of the teams that run the most plays aren’t playing any faster, they just don’t have as many big plays on offense. It might take Wake Forrest (#1 in plays per game) 10 plays to go 60 yards while it would take LSU only 7 on average. Also, those teams were often in the lead by large margins. If you’re up by 30, you don’t HAVE to keep snapping the ball with 25 seconds still on the play clock. Rhett Lashlee ran just over 80 plays a game last season at SMU. Yes, he wants to go fast but SMU has a terrible defense that often forced the offense to be in a shootout to win games. If Miami has a big lead in the 4th quarter, he won’t have to go quite as fast. It’s easier for a fast team to slow down than for a slow team to go fast.

Nothing wears out a defense more than constantly going three and out and asking them to bail the offense out over and over for an entire game. Not only do they get tired, they stop caring because what good is it to hold Louisiana Tech to 14 when your offense isn’t even close to getting 3? Statistically, your defensive numbers could slip a bit just by giving the opponent more possessions but winning 45-25 is the same thing as winning 20-0. LSU’s defense was statistically it’s worst in years in 2019. They won the championship.

Ohio State averaged over 78 plays per game last year. LSU over 74 and Clemson just under 74. They all played a majority of their games at a fast pace but playing fast doesn’t always mean more plays. If you’re getting significant “chunk yardage” plays, you’ll be able to score more while running fewer plays. Most of the teams that run the most plays aren’t playing any faster, they just don’t have as many big plays on offense. It might take Wake Forrest (#1 in plays per game) 10 plays to go 60 yards while it would take LSU only 7 on average. Also, those teams were often in the lead by large margins. If you’re up by 30, you don’t HAVE to keep snapping the ball with 25 seconds still on the play clock. Rhett Lashlee ran just over 80 plays a game last season at SMU. Yes, he wants to go fast but SMU has a terrible defense that often forced the offense to be in a shootout to win games. If Miami has a big lead in the 4th quarter, he won’t have to go quite as fast. It’s easier for a fast team to slow down than for a slow team to go fast.
We’ll see what happens, friend. You mentioned LSU, and that supports my opinion that the increased tempo and modern spread will be a net positive but that the defensive numbers will suffer. I haven’t done the research, but I’m pretty sure LSU’s defense put up better numbers before they went high octane on offense.

All I care about is wins and watching a much better product. So I’m ecstatic about the offensive changes. But the dudes who think our defensive numbers won’t suffer some are going to be upset.

I guess we’ll see. It’s definitely easier to pile up defensive stats when your offense is running one play every two minutes. And if you follow college football closely, you know that most programs that can recruit like us don’t run a breakneck pace. They’ve gone away from it because it puts too much strain on the defense, and they can’t hold leads as well or dial it down and run clock in the 4th.

It’ll be interesting. I’m one of the biggest proponents on here of increasing our tempo, and I was screaming for spread when 90% of the fanbase was still locked into pro style bro because that’s our brand bro.

I think the tempo will definitely be a net positive, but I can almost guarantee the defensive numbers will suffer.

I don’t think we’ll necessarily put up the same numbers, either.

Teams can often pile up a bit of yardage throwing a ton of passes playing catch up.

My hope is we can use the tempo offense as a springboard to recruit better and control the pace at the line of scrimmage.

When you are disorganized like Enos, you get the play in late then HAVE TO run what was called regardless of the defense because there is no time to adjust.

I just want us to get to the line quickly so we have time to diagnose and adjust. This will give us options. We can snap fast to catch them or let it run down.

I’m not that concerned about total yards. If we really raise our offensive points per game, I don’t care that much about defensive Ppg increases. Get a solid yards per play on defense and I’m mostly satisfied.

I just think this defense can get NASTY playing with the lead and gaining confidence while attacking a one dimensional offense trying to play catch up.

Nostalgia. Miami won so much and put so many players in the NFL with pro style concepts they refused to believe it was outdated. They kept a " dont fix what ain't broken" philosophy to a strategy that has long been proven BROKEN.

This is hopefully the first step in making sure Miami is a great college program again, instead of an NFL internship. Get players who are productive at this level, and not just prototype's for the next one.

Next step is getting players who care about their Saturday's at the U, more than their future Sunday's

Advertisement
Nothing impacts a Defense more negativiely than a slow paced 3 & out Pro style bro offense.

LSU, Clemson, Oh St, Bama, Auburn, Oregon, Penn St, Minnesota, SD St, Cal & Lousiana are all teams that run different variations of Uptempo Spread & maintain good Defenses.

I think you could be confusing Mike Leach's Pass only Air Raid with uptempo Spread. It's virtually impossible to field a good Defense when you throw the ball 80-90% of time, but our offensive system will be way more balanced than that. It'll be a 55/45 or 60/40 percentage for pass/run ratio, you can run the ball while still going fast paced. Tempo isn't just about throwing the ball every snap, it's about moving the ball quickly in both the pass & run game to keep defenses off balanced & not allowing them to substitute into different personnel so as to catch them off guard & create mismatches out of different offensive looks & wide splits.

Our Defenses problem will not be the offense being too productive or too fast, their issue will be about fixing the secondary & ensuring that the LB corps can maintain discipline & gap integrity.

The Spread offense is not a bad thing, it's literally one of the best things to ever happen to college football, our fans are just so used to Pro style bro that people think Spread is some kinda contagious incurable disease lol. Every major winning P5 program in college football runs some form of Spread, we're literally one of the few schools that don't up until now.

We've been behind the times for the last decade plus, we're just now catching up.

Just getting two or three first downs a quarter or half, being able to at least flip the field offensively, will make a big difference over time. It goes further than just points(which is the most important thing)

Also, after time, if you have one side of the ball that is awful, eventually it will corrode the whole lockerroom, and the team will get disspirited. There's no doubt in my mind that happened the past couple of seasons. It was demoralizing as a whole. A bad offense can effect both sides, and vice versa

But yeah, gimme an offense that can put up 35-40 points a game consistently(and I mean versus real teams, not Bethune Cookman) and I'll take my chances with that

We’ll see what happens, friend. You mentioned LSU, and that supports my opinion that the increased tempo and modern spread will be a net positive but that the defensive numbers will suffer. I haven’t done the research, but I’m pretty sure LSU’s defense put up better numbers before they went high octane on offense.

All I care about is wins and watching a much better product. So I’m ecstatic about the offensive changes. But the dudes who think our defensive numbers won’t suffer some are going to be upset.

Chise, this reminds me of what many basketball coaches have said for years, that points per game, isn't really the truest indicator of the quality of defense, but really, tempo, pace of play. If you're playing fast, pushing the ball up the court, getting shots up quickly, and scoring in the 110s and 120's consistently yeah, you will probably give up 100 points per game - it's inevitable

But is that really better than playing a bunch of games in the 80s where everything is a 4 point game(think 90's NBA)?

To me, point differential is the key thing, here. Winning 45-28 consistently, over having every game be 17-10 (either way) is much better, I'd think.

Regardless, Im with you, lets just work on having a watchable product first and foremost in 2020 and build from there

Last edited:
This is hopefully the first step in making sure Miami is a great college program again, instead of an NFL internship. Get players who are productive at this level, and not just prototype's for the next one.

Next step is getting players who care about their Saturday's at the U, more than their future Sunday's
Could not agree more. Stop recruiting college kids based on NFL “standards”. Get guys who will help you win on Saturdays.

Advertisement
Could not agree more. Stop recruiting college kids based on NFL “standards”. Get guys who will help you win on Saturdays.

And thats the thing about D-King, he's 5'9, anything but a NFL prototype. But he has exactly the skill set that is needed in todays college football. Who knows if he'll even be a camp arm after he leaves UM, but I think/hope, he'll have a great 2020 for the Hurricanes -- and to me, that's what important, here

Chise, this reminds me of what many basketball coaches have said for years, that points per game, isn't really the truest indicator of the quality of defense, but really, tempo, pace of play. If you're playing face, and scoring in the 110s and 120's consistently yeah, you will probably give up 100 points per game - it's inevitable

But is that really better than playing a bunch of games in the 80s(think 90's NBA)?

To me, point differential is the key thing, here. Winning 45-28 consistently, over having every game be 17-10 (either way) is much better, I'd think.

Regardless, Im with you, lets just work on having a watchable product first and foremost in 2020 and build from there
That’s exactly how I see it, old buddy. You know I’ve been advocating for this for awhile. And I just wanna see some fun modern football. With the guys we have, it’s an absolute abomination to be running a slow antiquated offense and grinding out 17-13 wins over crappy Coastal teams.

When’s the last time we weren’t in these trudging death struggles every week against a bunch of teams that don’t recruit from the same pool of talent? Getting shut down by teams like GT, FIU, and La Tech? Unreal.

Give me some 48-21 games where the game is pretty much over in the middle of the third and we’re getting some backups run.

That’s exactly how I see it, old buddy. You know I’ve been advocating for this for awhile. And I just wanna see some fun modern football. With the guys we have, it’s an absolute abomination to be running a slow antiquated offense and grinding out 17-13 wins over crappy Coastal teams.

When’s the last time we weren’t in these trudging death struggles every week against a bunch of teams that don’t recruit from the same pool of talent? Getting shut down by teams like GT, FIU, and La Tech? Unreal.

Give me some 48-21 games where the game is pretty much over in the middle of the third and we’re getting some backups run.

Seriously, like you, there was a time when I'd re-watch our games two or three times. I would wear down those VHS tapes, lol Recently, those things get erased faster off my DVR than Usain Bolt coming off the starting block. Even the wins, they are barely watchable, in fact, downright boring. If it wasn't for my fandom, I wouldn't be sitting through this garbage

If UM can ever get back to having a consistently entertaining product, suddenly, recruiting will become easier -- and not just about dropping 'bags' -- and kids will want to come to Coral Gables. I give Diaz credit for making these changes. Six weeks ago, I was completely done, now Im once again making plans for the Mich St roadie and a home game

King can become a UM legend if he can just captain this offense to respectability and beyond

Advertisement
Back