Lashlee outlines offensive philosophy, talks King addition

Question:

What college team would be the closest thing to UM in talent wise that runs a spread and why do you think it took us this long to figure out it's what is best for the S. FL athletes?
Clemson is the closest to the offense Lashlee uses. Other teams with similar talent levels running different versions of the spread are Auburn, Oregon, LSU, Michigan.

The reason it took so long for UM to step into the 21st century is that they always try to make the safe hire when it comes to head coaches and conservative head coaches often make conservative coordinator hires. There’s this weird notion that spread offenses are some kind of gimmick but the best teams are all using them is some way or another to win championships, meanwhile Miami is motioning a fullback to the strong side of a heavy formation right before handing the ball off for a two yard loss

Advertisement
Brevin Jordan will break records at TE this year.

Lashlee seems to target his best player and feed him the ball, and Brevin is our best player on offense.

I agree but I cant lie, Brevin being out for Spring ball is disappointing. We need all hands on deck in the Spring so everyone can learn this offense and we are hitting on all cylinders come Fall. We only have 30 days of Fall ball before the season starts. Mallory will be getting all the reps he can handle that's for **** sure.

If you aren't excited about the possibility of Lashlee and King running this O then I don't know what to tell you. People keep talking about the WR room but Pope, Wiggins, Harley and Payton are FAR better then anything Lashlee had at SMU ill bet talent wise. Give the kids a chance before we start knocking them.

Now RB is what concerns me. I am not a huge Cam fan and we all know Burns is just damaged goods. Chaney is out too for the Spring. So Knighton will get all the reps he wants. If Lo isn't the starter or at least getting starters minutes at UF, he will regret leaving. This was his RB room to run. Oh well.

Advertisement
Lashlee’s arrival coincides with the spread offense finally being utilized at UM, and he spoke about why he runs that style of offense.

"For me it's just my background," Lashlee said. "I threw 71 times in a game twice. When I played, we never had a guy that ran faster than 4.6, but we led the country in total offense because we played fast, wore (the defense) down, had guys that executed at a high level.

“That's my background and I've seen it work over the years. Tempo is the great equalizer. Look at the Super Bowl, the last six minutes. The 49ers dominated till they went up tempo, then the defense wasn't as effective. I just believe in that, what I've always done. What fits here, if you talk about South Florida, we have access to a lot of good speed, athletes. Getting our guys in space allows their speed to be opened up and used to their advantage."
*wipes tear from eye*

Even when Richt was at Miami, when he went uptempo, the same offense that had been struggling seemed to transform itself. I never understood why he didn't run it that way all the time. I guess you have to have the system in place to run it at a sustained rate, but the pressure it puts on a defense gives it a huge advantage.
Yep. He would occasionally go uptempo and the offense suddenly looked good. But then he would be right back to "run, run, pass punt" on the next few series. I even remember how puzzling it was to hear Richt say things like "well you can't just go out there and sling the ball around" when someone would question him on this. If "slinging the ball around" puts points on the board, then by all means sling away.

I agree but I cant lie, Brevin being out for Spring ball is disappointing. We need all hands on deck in the Spring so everyone can learn this offense and we are hitting on all cylinders come Fall. We only have 30 days of Fall ball before the season starts. Mallory will be getting all the reps he can handle that's for **** sure.
It does but Lashlee will still have plays for Brevin trust that. He’s seen cut-ups of all the players he knows what monster he’ll have in Brevin i wouldn’t be surprised if he catches over 50 passes this season

Advertisement
Even when Richt was at Miami, when he went uptempo, the same offense that had been struggling seemed to transform itself. I never understood why he didn't run it that way all the time. I guess you have to have the system in place to run it at a sustained rate, but the pressure it puts on a defense gives it a huge advantage.

even last year with Penos when he decided to speed it up against terrible FIU, suddenly we started to score a lot.

Question:

What college team would be the closest thing to UM in talent wise that runs a spread and why do you think it took us this long to figure out it's what is best for the S. FL athletes?
Rhett has been tied to Malzahn since he played QB for him, he has been with him for awhile so I would say his run game/philosophy will definitely look more like that. The knock recently about Malzahn offense is his very basic passing game is lacking, Lashlee seprated to do his own thing and his last couple years he has been with Coach Dykes so he has evolved to introduce the Air raid passing game (though also simple is more complete of a passing system). While at SMU they lit up scoreboards last season.

It took us soo long because arrogantly we wanted to be tied to the NFLU brand of being a pro style bro offense. Everytime we fired head coach or hired them they would cite nflu brand and how we wanted to continue to develop guys for league or some bs. The game was evolving right before our eyes and we held on to it while even tho nfl teams were embracing those offensive college spread concepts. Spread killed bro style offense, especially in college, though things our cyclical and always come back around. Its embarrassing how late to party we are

Question:

To answer your 2nd question.

Enos was too stubborn to coach to players
Richt wasn't sure how
Golden was pro style coach
Prior to that spread wasn't major yet

As for other teams? Check the images. Not many below us have our talent and the ones above us we should be able to match if not beat.
Above.PNG
below.PNG

Advertisement
Keep seeing this word talent we have because of stars.Stars show potential talent. Seems like forever our potential has not been coached into real talent

Rhett is going to transform this offense, the combination of he & King is going to set the Corstal on fire.

Nothing anyone says can convince me otherwise...

I'm still hyped AF we finally woke the **** up & brought the Uptempo Spread with Air Raid concepts to Miami.

Yeah, as long as the kids buy in and work at it, I don't see a reason why this shouldn't work. The big question was always going to be, do we have a QB capable of running the offense effectively.......and even though we haven't seen King play a down for Miami yet, I'm pretty sure he's capable.

Sure, there is still the question of the OL, but I think the OL is going to look better *in this offense* because it won't be asked to do as much, for as long.

Rhett is going to transform this offense, the combination of he & King is going to set the Corstal on fire.

I'm still hyped AF we finally woke the **** up & brought the Uptempo Spread with Air Raid concepts to Miami.
Let’s put it like this: there’s no amount of corching from Manny that could hold this offense back from being extraordinarily better than last year’s travesty.

It would honestly have to take the entire offense not buying into Lashlee’s vision to not see marked improvements. That’s not happening because 1) these kids actually wanna play in this system bc it puts them in real position to succeed, 2) Lashlee does not strike me as a poor motivator, quite the opposite really, 3) ER20 not gonna let ANYONE slack off on either side of the ball.

Let’s work 🙌🏼

Advertisement
Still have to get much better O line play. There is not QB a live who can throw from his ***.

When you release the the ball in 2.32-2.5 seconds like in Lashlee’s offense, the defense has a hard time getting to the qb. The ball is out before the hit many times even if a lineman whiffs.

People don’t understand how bad our offense was under Enos. We were releasing the ball in 3.5 to four seconds. That is an ETERNITY on the field and puts tremendous pressure on the offensive line and quarterback.

Zion will be better getting out of his stance. He was actually a good player when he could get hands on his man. I don’t want to label Rivers the freshman savior, but people are high on his chances to play early and well.

The guys we have will grow in Lashlee’s system. Scaife is only a TRUE JUNIOR. They will be more physically mature and hopefully get the kick in the *** and leadership trust they need to become emotionally mature and focused.

King is also the missing piece this offense needed. Extra speed to burn, this kid could light south Florida up... With this upbeat offense we should have had 15++ years ago it's going to be fun.

Let’s put it like this: there’s no amount of corching from Manny that could hold this offense back from being extraordinarily better than last year’s travesty.

It would honestly have to take the entire offense not buying into Lashlee’s vision to not see marked improvements. That’s not happening because 1) these kids actually wanna play in this system bc it puts them in real position to succeed, 2) Lashlee does not strike me as a poor motivator, quite the opposite really, 3) ER20 not gonna let ANYONE slack off on either side of the ball.

Let’s work 🙌🏼

the thing i like bout manny (one of the few) is that he, at least, allows his coaches to do their thing which is good by me bc i dont want anyone on the defensive side of the ball telling lashlee how to run his O.

Advertisement
Back