Lashlee comments

So lame. The only thing your sorry *** ever pounded was your own feeble schmeckle.
šŸ‘†As lame as putting someone on "ignore".

Another Legend of Self-Own.

1afOM8x83pCHVqgUKy.gif

šŸ˜‚

Advertisement
Hoping we see more stuff over the middle. Slants, drags, crossers, etc. Feel like we've got guys who are tailor made for those kinds of plays. Give them easy catches in the middle of the field and see what they can do with the ball in their hands.

If nothing else these plays can keep us ahead of the chains and put pressure on linebackers and safeties to keep them honest against the run.

Getting this element implemented with the right design is more important than a variety of run plays because they allow you to get yardage even if the ol isnā€™t quite where you want them.

ā€œJust run crossers every playā€
Is that not what Bama and the Colts do most of the time?

RPO crossers and mesh/wheel/sit are the foundation of a lot of passing games these days.

As for outside zone if it's not the foundation of your offense it's tough to execute it and build the counters off of it that make it so challenging for a defense. It's not really something you just sprinkle in to diversify the run game. But certainly power schemes are something you can layer into a playbook, and understanding the "why" makes sense in that regard. Hard to be a great goal line and short yardage offense if you're not proficient in power schemes.

RPO crossers and mesh/wheel/sit are the foundation of a lot of passing games these days.

As for outside zone if it's not the foundation of your offense it's tough to execute it and build the counters off of it that make it so challenging for a defense. It's not really something you just sprinkle in to diversify the run game. But certainly power schemes are something you can layer into a playbook, and understanding the "why" makes sense in that regard. Hard to be a great goal line and short yardage offense if you're not proficient in power schemes.
Those quick short throws over the middle will completely change this offense. People still donā€™t understand how they help the run and develop consistency and momentum on offense.

It should be the core of our offense complemented with iz, screens, and downfield shots. But until we get a stud offensive line, it shouldā€™ve our IDENTITY.

I mean, Lashlee's offense last year was somewhat in line with what he's produced before.

6.02 YPP last year.
2019 - 6.14 YPP at SMU
2018 - 5.35 YPP at SMU
2017 - 5.49 YPP at UConn
I know he wasn't always the primary play caller for Auburn...so these numbers should be taken with a grain of salt
2016 - 6.13 YPP
2015 - 5.39 YPP
Gus Malzahn was calling plays below...
2014 - 6.71 YPP
2013 - 6.92 YPP
2012 - 6.38 YPP at Arkansas State

I'm not sure how much better you expect Rhett Lashlee to be from last year. Better, sure. How much better, idk...a little?

Advertisement

Both college and the nfl need to be more strict with calling illegal lineman down field on RPOs. Itā€™s getting rediciulous how far they get sometimes and the ball is just thrown

LOL at the guys in here who claim to remember every outside run play last year. You guys should be counting cards in Vegas.
Exactly, we ran stretch outside zone effectively in a series or two against UVA. Lashlee is an inside zone, RPO guy. He likes to pull his guards a lot, too.

Advertisement
Anyone who thinks there wasnā€™t dramatic, and I mean dramatic improvement offensively under Lashlee obviously didnā€™t watch a single game in 2017, 2018 and 2019.

All of it with a new QB, entirely new coaching staff, new offense, a subpar offensive line and WR Corp and no practice time.

Nah, nobodyā€™s ignoring that. Weā€™ve actually known this for years. We come to expect ignorant questions from our stable of three or four ā€œlegit mediaā€ * reporters that are assigned to the team.

*(ā€œLegitā€ media reporters defined as newspaper reporters, sports media reporters, news service reporters, like AP, etc)

While I totally agree with this, are the questions really different in other markets short of Texas? The articles are written for the casual, mass-market observer, not football fanatics.

And TBH, we kinda need SMD's constant puff pieces so little old ladies with money will fork out some checks.

Those quick short throws over the middle will completely change this offense. People still donā€™t understand how they help the run and develop consistency and momentum on offense.

It should be the core of our offense complemented with iz, screens, and downfield shots. But until we get a stud offensive line, it shouldā€™ve our IDENTITY.
Short QBs aren't comfortable throwing shorter passes over the middle. There's a reason the offense is mostly vertical throws outside the numbers, same with the Seahawks.

Although then again King did throw a ton of RPO slants at Houston. Part of the problem is getting a lot of single-high man coverage. 2-high would create more running opportunities, zone better for RPOs. What we need is more reduced splits from WRs with deep crossers to exploit the man coverage rather than perimeter shot plays.

Advertisement
Its a simple concept. Having a quality/elite OL (Miami doesn't) enables EVERY type of O scheme. Really when ypu think about it, O schemes are a collection of gimmkcks while OL/DL play are foundation of the game.

Alabama, OSU, Georgia, Clemson could run the triple wishbone this year and win a ton of games
Georgia might fugg around and try since they donā€™t believe in a modern offense.

Short QBs aren't comfortable throwing shorter passes over the middle. There's a reason the offense is mostly vertical throws outside the numbers, same with the Seahawks.

Although then again King did throw a ton of RPO slants at Houston. Part of the problem is getting a lot of single-high man coverage. 2-high would create more running opportunities, zone better for RPOs. What we need is more reduced splits from WRs with deep crossers to exploit the man coverage rather than perimeter shot plays.

We have underutilized the middle with taller qbs too.

King has shown to be good at rpoā€™s. Under Richt and Enos we actually got too predictable with the rpo slant. Short quarterbacks are able to find throwing lanes to the middle. I suspect Kingā€™s reluctance to attack there had more to due with poor interior blocking than height. If he didnā€™t get a quick throw outside, he usually got pressure in his face.

Outside of rpo, most plays have a deep to short progression and that has caused us rhythm/ comfort issues due to breakdowns in protection.

I would like to see more formations that put 3 to 4 receivers in the quarterbackā€™s field of view on one side of the field. Trips, strong slot 11 and so on. I think sometimes we try too stress to much of the field at once instead of targeting particular defenders and putting them in tough situations in zone coverage. Crosses and slants are no brainers against man coverage. We Got lots of 2 deep looks under Richt and Enos, but squandered it. Bud Foster and Butch exposed us with their single high schemes.

Shorter splits some plays is a yes, but we have a philosophy problem. We been heaving up long incompletions regardless of coverage for a long time. Route concepts are all over the place and easy to defend. We see other coaches scheme players open with quick rhythm passing year after year regardless of personnel. The only thing keeping us from doing that is chasing deep balls without rhythm.

OZ or wide zone is tough man, especially with faster defense nowadays.
Looking at the way football is moving towards, POA type of running plays or IZ may the wiser, since defense are typically faster and smaller nowadays.
OZ is also tough to have your Q involved in the run game unless under center.
Really you thinks so , I think the blocking can be more creative .
Down block with your Wr/TE/flanks

Advertisement
Yes if my original quote didnā€™t include the last two sentences.
Whatā€™s your suggesting is also essentially removing the element of an RPO.
Theres validity to your statement but based on our roster highly unlikely.

They can't consistently run/pass block now* at an average ACC level.

What creativity is going to fix that?

*at least last season and several previous... like 20

Advertisement
Back