Lashlee Appreciation

it’ll be interesting to see what we look like next year with the young freshmen/Rb developing and then weapons like Brinson, George, Smith, and Franklin being added.

I'm hopeful. We SHOULD be a better team all around next year, with the one obvious question being who we trot out there at QB.

If we roll in to Alabama next year with N'Kosi Perry, I won't be so hopeful.

Advertisement
Definitely an improvement over Penos. I'd like to see a little more consistent success and converting more 3rd downs. The tempo is impossible to get going when you're getting stuffed too much on 1st down. Without tempo, this offense is too basic to have any consistent success because the D can regroup and get a call in to shut down the basic plays.

Would be easier to do if our WR didn’t suck.

I'm hopeful. We SHOULD be a better team all around next year, with the one obvious question being who we trot out there at QB.

If we roll in to Alabama next year with N'Kosi Perry, I won't be so hopeful.

Players need to stay. As long as they keep leaving early we will be in this spot. How Clemson has guys return that are projected late 1st -2nd rounders and our guys leave for 3rd round grades will always kill us

86CA3B8B-D1A4-426D-AA13-E5C142150A6C.jpeg

Close your eyes and think about the offensive line from last season. Take a deep breath, and just think hard. Replay last season in your mind.

9 sacks week 1
Running for 51 yards against Central Michigan
208 yards in an entire game against Pitt
Can't score a point in the 2nd half against a 2 win GT team
51 (FIFTY ONE) sacks in 13 games

@DMoney made a very good point that I think gets lost on people too often. You don't go from FIU and La Tech to beating Clemson in 8 months. You just don't. You can and should expect improvement, but when you're literally THE WORST in the entire country in a lot of aspects, you can't expect those to be major strengths in a season. This is the same OL as last season. And especially last week when Williams didn't play, it was literally THE EXACT same kids. And we went from what we watched last year to what we're seeing this year. Again, is the offense perfect? Is it best in the country? Of course not. But you have to take a step back and look big picture here. You can't take what we had last year and go worst to first. It just doesn't happen. Even with Lashlee himself, we all looked at 2019 SMU and said "Oh wow, look how great he was on 3rd down, he can do that for us". And that's fine...but 2019 was Year 2 there. Yes, they were 29th in the country in 3rd down % in 2019. But they were 123rd in his first year (2018). Things just don't happen overnight.

King is a godsend. Lashlee is a godsend. Enjoy them while they're here. They're MUCH better than what we've seen in the past several years here. MUCH. I saw a post comparing King to Malik Rosier. I'm dead serious, you should be banned for that. That is such an insanely ridiculous take that you shouldn't be allowed to offer your opinion any longer to those of us who understand this game and this program.

So just enjoy the season. A lot of us (me included) didn't think we'd have one. Watch the team mature, watch the offense get better, watch Lashlee put his stamp more and more on these kids as the year goes along. He's one of the better coordinators in the country, no matter how much some of you guys cry about him. But if you find yourself being one of those people, take a step back. Look big picture. Remember what you watched just 1 season ago. 3rd and 7, we may as well have just punted last year. We knew we weren't getting a first down, and we'd have saved our QB from taking a brutal hit. Now I actually expect maybe we'll be able to pick this up. I have confidence that we can score points. I have confidence we can get a pass off. It's the same group...save a couple kids. Literally. Enjoy it.
You guys are overdramatizing how bad our talent was last year. We didn't lose to FIU and La Tech because they had better players. We lost because we quit on the season, Diaz lost control of the locker room, and our offensive staff was the worst.

Diaz set the bar so low that some of you guys fell for the okie doke. That's the oldest scam in the book. Set the bar so low it's touching the earth's magma and then if you do anything remotely decent the following year you celebrate like a national champion. The standard is the standard. If Diaz wasted his first year fcking up, then that doesn't change what the standard should be.

I'm happy with the Lashlee hire, but it's OK to comment on some shortcomings without being labeled a heretic to be burned at the stake. He's doing a good job overall, but we've been less than stellar the last two games and didn't look all that crisp agains UAB either.

Advertisement
You guys are overdramatizing how bad our talent was last year. We didn't lose to FIU and La Tech because they had better players. We lost because we quit on the season, Diaz lost control of the locker room, and our offensive staff was the worst.

Diaz set the bar so low that some of you guys fell for the okie doke. That's the oldest scam in the book. Set the bar so low it's touching the earth's magma and then if you do anything remotely decent the following year you celebrate like a national champion. The standard is the standard. If Diaz wasted his first year fcking up, then that doesn't change what the standard should be.

I'm happy with the Lashlee hire, but it's OK to comment on some shortcomings without being labeled a heretic to be burned at the stake. He's doing a good job overall, but we've been less than stellar the last two games and didn't look all that crisp agains UAB either.

Disagree. The team stunk, the talent stunk, the scheme did nothing to help that, the leadership stunk, it all stunk. I didn't fall for any okie doke. We were garbage from week 1 to week 13. We couldn't block a soul, we couldn't even play our best player until midseason. It was just complete garbage from top to bottom in every single aspect. I'm not saying Lashlee should be given the key to the city, but he's MILES better than what we had last year and the best thing Manny has ever done here was hiring that dude.

SMU is averaging 550+ yards/game without Lashlee. Miami is averaging 407. Part of the allure of hiring Lashlee was pointing at SMU's stats from 2019. They haven't missed a beat. We're better than we were in 2019. Duh.

SMU is averaging 550+ yards/game without Lashlee. Miami is averaging 407. Part of the allure of hiring Lashlee was pointing at SMU's stats from 2019. They haven't missed a beat. We're better than we were in 2019. Duh.
Good point. I've been watching them, and they haven't skipped a beat with Lincoln Riley's brother. In fact, they might be better.

I've now seen this guy scheme 4 touchdowns based on a counter to previous plays, namely the fake qb draw (knighton vs louisville, cam and mallory vs pitt) ... i've also saw him scheme the long cam touchdown run vs. louisville by leveraging a side via motion ...

not to mention the pressure tempo puts on defense to line up and play assignments which have led to points (jordan touchdowns vs. louisville and fsu) ... i've seen this and i'm never coached a day in my life (besides PE)

we've found ourselves saying over and over that the guy was highschool open, at some point we have to give credit where credit it due ... he's highschool open due to lashlee's creativity.

There is an additional layer that should earn Lashlee even more plaudits- in the Pitt game, the OL was severely overmatched and he still managed to score the most Pitt has given up on regulation (plus Miami could have added another TD at the end). It's one thing to say a team made you one-dimensional and stopped the run. Pitt made Miami zero dimensional. We had no run game and their DL was all over King. Yet it didn't keep Lashlees offense off the board. That's pretty amazing.

Advertisement
I appreciate putting the improvements from last year in perspective.

Truly...but I gotta go with Chise on the overall tone he's onto right now about the status of the team.

Cautious, genuine optimism, with due regard for the realities of our current limitations.

Was ready to burn down the program last year, but the standard IS the standard.

It's dangerous around here to still admit that I won't be a bit surprised to see the current weaknesses having the potential to turn every single match into a dogfight - even against the likes of WF and GT.

I ain't sleeping on a single team left on the schedule, and I am ok if that gets me labeled a b*&^chassed mope.

I'll be ecstatic and taking all the L's to my giant mouth if we finish out the year by embarrassing the remaining.

Ok if we eek out a W for every single one.

Ok if we drop 1 or 2 more in close matches vs. VT and UNC.

But we are best analysed as a middling team that's improving on a hilariously low bar.

He also schemed Mallory 1-on-1 vs. a linebacker against Louisville that led to a 75 yard gain.

Called back because scaife breathed at the LOS but nonetheless a good design.

Advertisement
The Lashlee hate has been baffling to me. We didn’t play well against Pitt, 1 of the best defenses in the country and still dropped a light 31 with him scheming wide open TDs. He’s been a godsend and I expect our offense to only improve.

I’ve concluded this board is still going to be a miserable place even if we go 10-1. They will talk about how we didn’t beat teams bad enough and how down the ACC is. When in fact, if the ACC is down then every conference is down bc there are only 3 or 4 good teams in the entire country. Any team from #5 down could be beat. This notion that we are just way behind a legion of teams talent and coaching wise is madness.

I appreciate putting the improvements from last year in perspective.

Truly...but I gotta go with Chise on the overall tone he's onto right now about the status of the team.

Cautious, genuine optimism, with due regard for the realities of our current limitations.

Was ready to burn down the program last year, but the standard IS the standard.

It's dangerous around here to still admit that I won't be a bit surprised to see the current weaknesses having the potential to turn every single match into a dogfight - even against the likes of WF and GT.

I ain't sleeping on a single team left on the schedule, and I am ok if that gets me labeled a b*&^chassed mope.

I'll be ecstatic and taking all the L's to my giant mouth if we finish out the year by embarrassing the remaining.

Ok if we eek out a W for every single one.

Ok if we drop 1 or 2 more in close matches vs. VT and UNC.

But we are best analysed as a middling team that's improving on a hilariously low bar.
Just so u know there’s about 4-5 teams that can sleep walk thru a victory in CFB. We sure aren’t one of them we have to show up every week. But now we’re coming up against a lesser defense so I’m gonna assume we score almost 40. We just played 2 top 10 defenses and went 1-1 that’s not bad. U can see us improving but we still lack talent Lash is scoring with the worst WR core maybe in the power 5 idk if u realize how hard that is

Advertisement
Good point. I've been watching them, and they haven't skipped a beat with Lincoln Riley's brother. In fact, they might be better.

Memphis 2019 - 48
Memphis 2020 - 30

Texas State 2019 - 47
Texas State 2020 - 30

Tulane 2019 - 37
Tulane 2020 - 37 (OT)

North Texas 2019 - 49
North Texas 2020 - 65

Obviously a small sample size and there are many factors like lack of spring practice for example however from what TrumpyCane has read the offense is pretty much the same from last year and from the 2 games I have watched (Texas State/Tulane) the offense does look similar.

All TrumpyCane knows though he is happy Lashlee is here now after the past few years of a complete ****show happening on offense

Lashlee mentioned that the one area where the team got hurt in terms of the truncated offseason was the passing game install.

He said the loss of reps has hurt the timing some.

Seems to be accurate. The vertical passing game hasn't clicked for a few reasons, but that's definitely one of them.

Im a huge Lashlee supporter, my only quibble is that I wish at times he'd show a bit more variety on first downs (such as quick throws, bubbles, etc) to find a way to get to 2nd and 6(or better)instead of relying so much on his bread-and-butter(inside read). Right now, the Oline simply isn't good enough vs solid fronts to consistently get that needed push inside.

If this UM offense can put up numbers and get better vs the bad teams in the ACC, and then Lashlee can find a way to make a dollar out of dime and nickel vs defense like Pitt, I'm good with it for this season.

Bottom line, start building good habits to a point, that scoring and blowing out bad teams becomes second nature. It sounds so easy and simplistic, but the last few years should that it really isnt. UM scored 31 vs a stout Pitt unit. Back in 2018, if they averaged 31 points a game -- that's a 10 win team.

Just think about that

now, lets put up a 40-spot vs UVA and get rolling again offensively

Lashlee mentioned that the one area where the team got hurt in terms of the truncated offseason was the passing game install.

He said the loss of reps has hurt the timing some.

Seems to be accurate. The vertical passing game hasn't clicked for a few reasons, but that's definitely one of them.

and people can say this is an excuse, but given that fact this is his first season here, well, I think there is some validity to this

Advertisement
Back