Larry Hodges in the portal

Advertisement
"Howdy, Larry.."

1644873142863.png

SMU birthed Kylan Granson(Colts actually drafted this dude before Brevin!), and he has similar build to Larry.

When Lashlee was at SMU in 2019, Gransons stats were:
1644873265281.png

Good luck. Liked his versatility as an H-Back type, but wasn’t going to be a dude for us based on what we have in the room.
Always felt he could play a role like Quad Hill played for us catching passes out of the backfield on 3rd downs and things like that. But offenses today don't lend themselves to that style of play anymore and he just isn't big enough for a TE role.

Advertisement
Advertisement
One-year-only rule. Unless the NCAA decides to extend it.
ok - so him leaving doesn't really do us anything in regards to an additional spot this year since we already had 7 and I don't think we can hit our roster cap with the amount of scholarships that we are able to give out?

Always felt he could play a role like Quad Hill played for us catching passes out of the backfield on 3rd downs and things like that. But offenses today don't lend themselves to that style of play anymore and he just isn't big enough for a TE role.
Brantley can end up doing that. HBACK role.

His issue is simple he is coming towards the end of his college career and needs to go somewhere to start or atleast be 2nd.

He wont be 2nd here with Mallory, and Arroyo.

Then at his spot he has Brantley and for sure Skinner that wouldve been nipping at his heels.

Mammarelli is a inline TE so he isnt a rush or in competition with him or much of our other te's.

ok - so him leaving doesn't really do us anything in regards to an additional spot this year since we already had 7 and I don't think we can hit our roster cap with the amount of scholarships that we are able to give out?

Nah it does. The transfer rule was for people who leave after Dec 15 or last day of semester. So like we dont get an IC for Pope because he left mid year. We do for Hodges because he was late. My assumption is the NCAA tried to do this to "limit" the top schools from hoarding MORE top talent. If say Bama could have pushed out 7 kids during the season and had enough room to sign 7 more during ESD, they would have. This way the only way a school could sign over would be on normal signing day and by then 70% of the top talent is locked up, so most teams likely look to the portal which then could help ease the blossoming number of portal players with no home. Just a guess but I prob just put wayyyy more thought into that than the NCAA ever did.

Advertisement

Yes, it helps us.

We were sitting on 22 ICs (we used 3 for guys who enrolled in August 2021). We can take as many as 29, assuming that 7 guys leave via the Portal. We will still have to get down to 85, which may likely involve more than 7 guys leaving, or some combination thereof. For instance, a guy could retire from football, and not even enter the Portal. That would help us on qualifiers (85) but not ICs (22-29 max).

I'm just going to trust Mario at this point, I'm sure he knows a lot more about who is likely to leave than any of the CIS posters do. We'll get down to 85. There has not been a single year that we have failed to do so.

And, in all honesty, I don't even think we'll get up to the full 29, even assuming that we could have done so. I just don't think there is enough remaining "quality" that Mario wants to bring in.

We have 14 HS commits. Let's say we get Conerly, and we are up to 15 signees. Right now, we have 5 transfers. So that is 20 guys. We would need to take 9 more guys from the Portal to hit our theoretical max of 29, and I just don't think Mario wants to use 9 ICs on guys with less than full eligibility remaining. I suspect that Mario will roll some ICs over to the 2023 cycle.

Now, if the replacement ICs are "use it or lose it", then maybe we load up.

"Howdy, Larry.."

View attachment 177705

SMU birthed Kylan Granson(Colts actually drafted this dude before Brevin!), and he has similar build to Larry.

When Lashlee was at SMU in 2019, Gransons stats were:
View attachment 177706
Good take...I'd recommend the same if Lashlee would have him. He could play there...but idk if he's Granson. Granson was a WR before TE...Hodges is more of that traditional HBack and idk if he's got the skillset to do what Granson did...but Lashlee could use him.

Good take...I'd recommend the same if Lashlee would have him. He could play there...but idk if he's Granson. Granson was a WR before TE...Hodges is more of that traditional HBack and idk if he's got the skillset to do what Granson did...but Lashlee could use him.

Yeah, after looking at it, Granson is pretty explosive, even if he isn't overly fast.
1644882336123.png

There's really not much tape of Larry in recent years, & the tape we do have of him he's playing fullback back in 2019. He even caught a touchdown from the FB position later in the below drive:

Advertisement
had good spring games but when mallory no hands decided to come back and waste a roster spot and playing time bc seniority everyone should seen losing a TE here or there would happen.

had good spring games but when mallory no hands decided to come back and waste a roster spot and playing time bc seniority everyone should seen losing a TE here or there would happen.
lol

I didn't have "Too bad Mallory came back and took Hodges's roster spot" on my mope bingo card but you guys never cease to surprise..

Advertisement
Back