Larry Coker on talent in S FL and TX

D

deleted3746

“I don’t know if there’s much difference from the standpoint of the talent,” Coker told ESPN Radio 97.5 in Houston. “I think, in south Florida, you’ve got a lot of undeveloped talent. You get a guy that’s 6-5, 6-6, 205 pounds, runs a 4.4 40. In two years, he’ll weight 255 and run a 4.4 40. In Texas, overall, the coaching is probably better than the state of Florida. The facilities here are fantastic.

http://coachingsearch.247sports.com...ifferences-between-Florida-and-Texas-28751992

Advertisement
That's what I heard back in the '80's. JJ's staff liked the Texas talent, said it was "well-schooled."

Florida doesn't pour resources into HS football the way Texas does. In Texas, maybe some of it's private money for facilities, HS booster organizations.

There's certainly not much to disagree with there. I imagine he didn't want to say it for recruiting reasons, but coaching in Texas isn't probably better, it's vastly better overall.

Advertisement
There are some HS's in TX that have better facilities than some D1 Top 25 programs.

Advertisement
I think it almost comes down to positions

FL > TX at the skill/speed positions (specifically CB, S, WR)
TX > FL at the line of scrimmage (or at least more polished out of highschool)
TX tends to have more polished QB's
RB is always a toss up but I would even lean towards FL here

Granted this is not a blanket statement and every recruiting class is different. JMO.

"Wide receivers are surprisingly hard to find in South Florida....." Coker would continue

This Allen, Tx and they have a $60 million stadium paid for by municipal Tax Bond.

148.jpg

149.jpg

Advertisement
Now Katy, Tx is set to build a $70 million dollar stadium to keep up with their competition.

[video=youtube_share;2cyaX8EikMk]http://youtu.be/2cyaX8EikMk[/video]

Advertisement
I think it almost comes down to positions

FL > TX at the skill/speed positions (specifically CB, S, WR)
TX > FL at the line of scrimmage (or at least more polished out of highschool)
TX tends to have more polished QB's
RB is always a toss up but I would even lean towards FL here

Granted this is not a blanket statement and every recruiting class is different. JMO.

LB,DB RB, WR ALL Florida OL,DT, QB all TX

"Wide receivers are surprisingly hard to find in South Florida....." Coker would continue

When reached by a reporter, Al Golden agreed with Coker but emphasized the lack of DT's in South Florida and the rest of the country.

Advertisement
Back