Larry Coker on talent in S FL and TX

But in comparison to texas they can't touch S.fla kids on the field because of programs like this.

[video=youtube_share;I6WSB49ZNkg]http://youtu.be/I6WSB49ZNkg[/video]

[video=youtube_share;_OikBMEdgpw]http://youtu.be/_OikBMEdgpw[/video]

Last edited:
Advertisement
An on the field this was settled when #1 meet #2

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sOT7nghjVCI#[/video]

Because the hottest heat makes the strongest steal. An it doesn't get hotter than the "da bottom" as the kids call it.

[video=youtube_share;6s23JTmfJOY]http://youtu.be/6s23JTmfJOY[/video]

Last edited:
Larry Coker is hilarious.
If He's suggesting that a college coach just recruit well coached HS kids, then that college coach is in the wrong business.
And last I checked, the year He got fired, weren't at least half of the O-Linemen on that team from Texas...

And not only that, but wasn't Kirby "1-14" Freeman from Texas?

Wasn't Lance "Duck" Legette from Texas?

Ian "Big Hype" Symonette, wasn't He from Texas?

And somebody said that Texas produces better linemen than we do...I respectfully disagree. An interesting development these past few years, is that we barely have to leave SF - much less Fl - for quality O-Linemen. If Flowers comes out, He can be a top 10 pick next year...same thing with Darling if He comes out in 3 years. D-Linemen?...I think we've got em' there, too. DTs are just a rare breed, it's hard to find those guys anywhere. DEs?...They're not a dime a dozen, but we haven't had to go too far to find em'...except for AQM in NJ.

Meh. The SLC team that arguably the greatest team in MNW history beat by 8 points didn't even end up making it to state that year.

Texas players are similar to South Florida.There are alot of track kids in Texas.The major difference is the South Florida kids have the alleged "chip" on their shoulder and you could see it in full force when MNW went to Texas a few years ago.

Advertisement
Meh. The SLC team that arguably the greatest team in MNW history beat by 8 points didn't even end up making it to state that year.

Texas teams couldn't handle teams from the Muck ( belle glades, Pahokee, and Immokalee) so the tri county area is definitely to much for them.

Go Canes

Texas teams couldn't handle teams from the Muck ( belle glades, Pahokee, and Immokalee) so the tri county area is definitely to much for them.

Go Canes

A relatively down SLC did fine against one of the best team's MNW ever fielded. I'm trying to imagine how good SLC would be if they could just let mercenaries come and go like MNW did with Jones, Washington, and so many others who were on that team that year, STA with their annual recruiting haul, etc.

SLC's program with 3 or 4 talented kids from inner-city Dallas transferring in every year? Whew!

Swagger those pampered SLC kids, when they are willing to and have the ability to catch rabbits then they may have shot, but remember speed kills. Even the **** linemen have to chase rabits, that's right the big boys have to catch rabbits; I would like to see a big ole texas boy do that. An at the college level that directly translates Just ask Baylor loaded with Texas boys what happened with UCF when they played.

[video=youtube_share;_R_0FryVRNk]http://youtu.be/_R_0FryVRNk[/video]

Last edited:
Advertisement

Go Canes

A relatively down SLC did fine against one of the best team's MNW ever fielded. I'm trying to imagine how good SLC would be if they could just let mercenaries come and go like MNW did with Jones, Washington, and so many others who were on that team that year, STA with their annual recruiting haul, etc.

SLC's program with 3 or 4 talented kids from inner-city Dallas transferring in every year? Whew!

I know Washington was from OT, but that didn't hurt BTW, they still won state in 08'. But you wanna talk about mercenaries, look at Champagnat!

Go Canes

I know Washington was from OT, but that didn't hurt BTW, they still won state in 08'. But you wanna talk about mercenaries, look at Champagnat!

He transferred in from Edison, not BTW.

Go Canes

Well either way, it didn't hurt BTW, because that's where He was zoned for.

Advertisement

Go Canes

like i stated in 08......if they merged all the Liberty City area schools....god help the rest of schools in the country...and it was VERY close to happening as they were close to closing both Edison and Miami Central..............just imagine all those kids being dispersed to MNW, or BTW, or even Jackson (who has been affected by the upswing of BTW ,as they share the same kids)

Its a different breed down here....even the "inner city" tx schools arent as tough imo. This is seen at EVERY level o fplay...from the pop warner level whwen our teams go nationals, to high school, to college...and in the pros.

Go Canes

like i stated in 08......if they merged all the Liberty City area schools....god help the rest of schools in the country...and it was VERY close to happening as they were close to closing both Edison and Miami Central..............just imagine all those kids being dispersed to MNW, or BTW, or even Jackson (who has been affected by the upswing of BTW ,as they share the same kids)

Its a different breed down here....even the "inner city" tx schools arent as tough imo. This is seen at EVERY level o fplay...from the pop warner level whwen our teams go nationals, to high school, to college...and in the pros.

That may be true but we're digressing pretty badly here. SLC/MNW 08 weren't worlds apart on the field, at all. SLC fared pretty dang well given it was probably the weakest team they had had in 7 years and MNW was loaded to the gills. Miramar came over and got beat by Desoto in 2012, two programs who usually perform about the same at their respective levels in their own states. Allen beat Cedar Hill much more dominantly than BTW did in 2012 in back-to-back weeks as well. When two teams who fare the same in the state play each other, the results have been pretty tight ball games. There have been blowouts like when Katy beat Cy Bay and STA beat Dallas Skyline, but those were stupid games to even schedule, obvious mismatches. Stephenville, TX, is a town of 20k goat roping white kids and they could have dropped 60 on Ft Lauderdale Dillard last year, and the Dillard kids didn't have any magic toughness chip on their shoulder, they just weren't as good. If anything those Dillard kids folded when it got tough.

Advertisement

That may be true but we're digressing pretty badly here. SLC/MNW 08 weren't worlds apart on the field, at all. SLC fared pretty dang well given it was probably the weakest team they had had in 7 years and MNW was loaded to the gills. Miramar came over and got beat by Desoto in 2012, two programs who usually perform about the same at their respective levels in their own states. Allen beat Cedar Hill much more dominantly than BTW did in 2012 in back-to-back weeks as well. When two teams who fare the same in the state play each other, the results have been pretty tight ball games. There have been blowouts like when Katy beat Cy Bay and STA beat Dallas Skyline, but those were stupid games to even schedule, obvious mismatches. Stephenville, TX, is a town of 20k goat roping white kids and they could have dropped 60 on Ft Lauderdale Dillard last year, and the Dillard kids didn't have any magic toughness chip on their shoulder, they just weren't as good. If anything those Dillard kids folded when it got tough.

-Dillard hasnt been worth sh*t since i graduated high school (02-04) That was their era. Them playing oos games was always confusing as they arent nothing but a shadow of their former greatness.

-Swag i would have to believe i fthat SLC/MNW game were played in s.fla the score would be more lop sided, it was an away trip...most of those kids first time on a plane.,..and first time out of dade county more than likely.

That being said....i love TX kids as well as my S.FLA kids....i like the mixture...Butch/Jimmy had connections in areas in TX to pull solid guys....even Randy had connects with forer teammates that were coaches etc...

Right now our connects are in the NJ/ MD/VA area with Golden's staff....but i dont think Football means more to any kids than S.fla/tx KIDS...I Just wish we had some of that coaching their kids get....its actually tough watching our GOOD teams get coached...

-Dillard hasnt been worth sh*t since i graduated high school (02-04) That was their era. Them playing oos games was always confusing as they arent nothing but a shadow of their former greatness.

-Swag i would have to believe i fthat SLC/MNW game were played in s.fla the score would be more lop sided, it was an away trip...most of those kids first time on a plane.,..and first time out of dade county more than likely.

That being said....i love TX kids as well as my S.FLA kids....i like the mixture...Butch/Jimmy had connections in areas in TX to pull solid guys....even Randy had connects with forer teammates that were coaches etc...

Right now our connects are in the NJ/ MD/VA area with Golden's staff....but i dont think Football means more to any kids than S.fla/tx KIDS...I Just wish we had some of that coaching their kids get....its actually tough watching our GOOD teams get coached...

Agree with you generally on all points here and you know that, gg. My reason for bringing up Dillard was to point out that there wasn't a toughness factor in play, one team was just better than the other. MNW beat SLC because they were just better that year, not tougher, IMO. Tommy Streeter running by a 5'9 sophomore corner wasn't "tough", he was just better. Check out how massively outsized SLC was on both sides of the line, those kids fought their guts out.... no Ben Jones or Brandon Washington bodies on that line. The rabbit-chasing stories and Taurean Charles fighting his coach are human interest stories, but I've seen the rich, spoiled SLC kids get down and dirty with everyone they've ever played. The year before, Riley Dodge got drilled at the goalline and concussed in the state title game, threw up through his facemask while barking plays the next cadence, and threw a 30+ yard TD at the snap. I watched Forston, Aldarius, Streeter, Jacory, etc. play for 4-5 years and never saw that much "want-to", and I'm not even close to referencing all of the Dade kids who came out and looked soft at the next level. Dodge didn't need to have a father with AIDS and get bodyslammed by his QB coach in HS to be tough. I just think that card is overplayed a bit with *most* kids, as far as saying that all kids from some geographic region are naturally tougher, I don't buy that. SoFla is tightly condensed with big time talent and lots of it ends up on the same rosters, that's the deal, IMO.

Coaching is darn near everything at the HS level. I remember I went to Central in the early 90s, and I can only remember 1 year that we competed for districts. And we didn't have overwhelming talent, but I know we had enough talent to compete for district more than 1 year, in the 4 years that I was there. As evidenced by the State title haul that we had this past season, the coaching, has finally caught up to the talent in SF...IMO. Don't know if it's better than Texas, but it has gotten better.

Agree with you generally on all points here and you know that, gg. My reason for bringing up Dillard was to point out that there wasn't a toughness factor in play, one team was just better than the other. MNW beat SLC because they were just better that year, not tougher, IMO. Tommy Streeter running by a 5'9 sophomore corner wasn't "tough", he was just better. Check out how massively outsized SLC was on both sides of the line, those kids fought their guts out.... no Ben Jones or Brandon Washington bodies on that line. The rabbit-chasing stories and Taurean Charles fighting his coach are human interest stories, but I've seen the rich, spoiled SLC kids get down and dirty with everyone they've ever played. The year before, Riley Dodge got drilled at the goalline and concussed in the state title game, threw up through his facemask while barking plays the next cadence, and threw a 30+ yard TD at the snap. I watched Forston, Aldarius, Streeter, Jacory, etc. play for 4-5 years and never saw that much "want-to", and I'm not even close to referencing all of the Dade kids who came out and looked soft at the next level. Dodge didn't need to have a father with AIDS and get bodyslammed by his QB coach in HS to be tough. I just think that card is overplayed a bit with *most* kids, as far as saying that all kids from some geographic region are naturally tougher, I don't buy that. SoFla is tightly condensed with big time talent and lots of it ends up on the same rosters, that's the deal, IMO.

This. as much as everyone hypes up this S.florida everyone has a chip on their shoulder attitude we sure seem to be grabbing all the ones like snickers who feel like "you win some and lose some"

Advertisement
Back