Lamar Thomas and David Cooney not expected to get the WR Job.

G
Morris played college football at the wide receiver position for the Texas Tech Red Raiders under Mike Leach from 2004 to 2008. Known for being small and elusive, Morris earned the nickname of "The Elf" during his college playing career.[1] Morris was named to the first-team Academic All-Big 12 in 2007 and was second-team All-Big 12 for punt returning.

Perfect!

Good, maybe some of that punt returning magic will rub off on Patke. Make this guy your ST Coach

Advertisement
I don't care if its an air raid guy. I want a guy who is a hard nosed recruiter. Like several have said on this board, we don't need an x's and o's type to teach our WRs, we need a guy that can relate to kids and kick the door down while also ****ting on the bag schools and making Miami the "it" school. I hope we get a guy like that and would love Telly or Roland Smith. As long as @Liberty City El approves, then I'm good.

and please don't get some goofy, big 10 guy that can't stay at one place and his last place was a triple option school.
Have you learned nothing over the last 15 years?

No.

I doubt a HC wants to go be a WR's coach, but I guess if we offer enough money he might be interested.

But Navarro said he's just speculating & that's not exactly who they're looking at.
Manny wouldn’t just pull names out of a hat I think. Has to be rumblings about either coach being a candidate. I’m thinking after the backlash Manny took the last time he threw something out on King that he’ll just “speculate” for now after getting his **** reamed.

That’s a stupid take. So if Diaz went 0-13 we couldn’t make any judgments on him as a coach?

And Enos wasn’t his only mistake. The way he handled player issues and Tate going on vacation mid season is on him.

Manny having to babysit Baker for at least half the season is on him. And retaining all of his buddies on defense when they clearly haven’t recruited well.
U can't be critical of the way he handled players issues and then complain if he went 0-12. Some of those players with issues happened to be the most talented. So either u play the talent that gives u the best chance to win, or u bench the issues and lose games.

Manny tried benching the issues against Pitt and was on the way to a loss until he brought Jarren off the bench.

Advertisement
Curtis Johnson is considered the best WR coach we’ve ever had yet he came here without a stellar resume

Except that Johnson was a D1 WR coach for 7 years before the Miami job...Comparing Cooney's resume to CJ pre-UM is laughable, and that isn't even casting a vote for or against anyone for the job.

Advertisement
What does an “air raid” WR know or do different than an regular WR coach? Diaz our here using words that pop to the media that don’t really mean anything. Just hire a guy who knows how to handle divas cause all WR are divas and one that can recruit.

What you describe above is a way of doing it for sure, but majority of high performing organizations do not work that way.

HC sets tone for whole org. Hires his direct reports OC/DC/and now CoS.

IF a HC is hiring staff (can give input/guidance sure) below those levels, just not a great look for HC or OC positions.

There are examples of both philosophies for sure, with heavy skewing towards what I offered.

No worries.

I can see that, but i guess it depends on your "vision".

If your vision is the OC driving the offense by himself....meaning his guys and his ways.....ok, i can see it.
- The problem being, if that guy succeeds and leaves, he's taking ALL those guys with him.
- If the offense starts going sideways during the season and you need different imput/outside thinking, it will be difficult since those guys only see it one way or possibly don't want to speak up with a different voice contrary to their friend/coach.

If your vision is creating an offensive system that maintains, the HC should be be picking guys he thinks can take over once that OC leaves.
- Those will be his guys, probably more loyal and open to a promotion within the program vs leaving with the OC.
- Those guys can learn the current system, terminology, player strengths, etc and then keep it going if/when the OC leaves.
- If the offense starts going sideways during the season, the experience of these guys from other systems and programs could offer a different view to help tweak things for better success.

Advertisement
I can see that, but i guess it depends on your "vision".

If your vision is the OC driving the offense by himself....meaning his guys and his ways.....ok, i can see it.
- The problem being, if that guy succeeds and leaves, he's taking ALL those guys with him.
- If the offense starts going sideways during the season and you need different imput/outside thinking, it will be difficult since those guys only see it one way or possibly don't want to speak up with a different voice contrary to their friend/coach.

If your vision is creating an offensive system that maintains, the HC should be be picking guys he thinks can take over once that OC leaves.
- Those will be his guys, probably more loyal and open to a promotion within the program vs leaving with the OC.
- Those guys can learn the current system, terminology, player strengths, etc and then keep it going if/when the OC leaves.
- If the offense starts going sideways during the season, the experience of these guys from other systems and programs could offer a different view to help tweak things for better success.

We are saying the same things.

Go Canes.

What does an “air raid” WR know or do different than an regular WR coach? Diaz our here using words that pop to the media that don’t really mean anything. Just hire a guy who knows how to handle divas cause all WR are divas and one that can recruit.
Basically he wants a dude that speaks the same language as Lashlee. I agree that whoever is hired needs to be the best recruiter on our staff.

Agree with the comments and think ultimately they go younger and with someone who they think can recruit South Florida. It would not surprise me if Reed influences this hire. You would think we'd have a deep alum list, but I struggle to indentify any real options. Maybe need to look into the NFL and connections to Reed with ties to SF.

Advertisement
Who are YOU to say either of them dudes aren’t ready? You aren’t around either of those dudes AT ALL in ANY CAPACITY to know their work ethic, coaching talent or what they’re capable of teaching. You haven’t ever in your life worked with either of those dudes.

Curtis Johnson is considered the best WR coach we’ve ever had yet he came here without a stellar resume & did wonders here. We don’t need anyone that already knows one of the easiest offenses ever to run for WR’s.

You’re so far out of pocket that I’m ‘almost’ disgusted. Coaching is about relationships..not solely just knowledge.

I swear it be your own peoples.
It’s a message board. People give opinions. Others agree or disagree & open dialogue proceeds. He’s literally giving his take, which is shared by most. The floor is open, make your case as to why you think Lamar should be given another opportunity or why Cooney deserves the promotion to an offense he has never coached in, from a HC who’s seat couldn’t get any hotter.

Your last line is stupid btw.

Also the ACC is not the late 2000s Big 12 so you can't just out athlete everyone with vertical isolation routes.

I hope that isn’t true because 4 Verts is the still the essential play of every Air Raid offense. Including Lashlee’s version of it last year at SMU.

Advertisement
Back