Lamar Thomas and David Cooney not expected to get the WR Job.

Advertisement
Either one of those guys would be an excellent pairing with Lashlee IMO. Probably too good to be true, but Cooney and Lamar were literally the 2 guys that I DID NOT want. I was pretty much at the “anyone but them” stage, so I’m glad to hear this. Let Cooney continue to do what he is doing and keep Lamar away. He trashed us and hasn’t been able to keep a job anyway. Keep em’.

Advertisement
He mentioned Eric Morris and Jason Phillips as possible coaches that fit the bill. He brought up Eric Morris name to his sources and they said it sure sounds a lot like like a guy Diaz would want but said he's just speculating.
Jason Phillips is the current WR's coach at Utah St, he coached at Kansas with David Beaty, he was at Houston back in 03 with Art Briles, he coached at Baylor with him too, also coached at Houston with Sumlin & at SMU with Chad Morris.

He's about as Air Raid as it gets as a WR's/PGC.

I believe Phillips is also a Houston dude by upraising.

If our intent is to continue to expand into Texas recruiting (one I am very fond of), he's a great choice. I don't think he'd struggle with South Florida kids either.

Yes, Phillips is a Houston guy. He recruited & signed my little cuz to Utah State from North Shore (Flaggs School) in the 2019 class. Deep Texas ties and would be a great addition. Has been apart of some magnificent offenses.

Advertisement
Yes, Phillips is a Houston guy. He recruited & signed my little cuz to Utah State from North Shore (Flaggs School) in the 2019 class. Deep Texas ties and would be a great addition. Has been apart of some magnificent offenses.
Houston and Deep East Texas are as similar to Florida as you're gonna get outside the state. I'd like him on board.

I don't care if its an air raid guy. I want a guy who is a hard nosed recruiter. Like several have said on this board, we don't need an x's and o's type to teach our WRs, we need a guy that can relate to kids and kick the door down while also ****ting on the bag schools and making Miami the "it" school. I hope we get a guy like that and would love Telly or Roland Smith. As long as @Liberty City El approves, then I'm good.

and please don't get some goofy, big 10 guy that can't stay at one place and his last place was a triple option school.

Would very much prefer a WR coach with legit Air Raid experience over one from the Briles spread where they run go routes, bubbles and RPO slants and have decoy/resting WRs on a lot of plays.

I know it's a newsflash to a lot of porsters but we're not running the Briles spread, all spread offenses are not the same and WRs need to have technical skill for Lashlee's offense. Also the ACC is not the late 2000s Big 12 so you can't just out athlete everyone with vertical isolation routes.

Darrell Wyatt at UCF should still be in consideration, he absolutely knows the Air Raid & can recruit both Texas & Florida.

Also another good candidate is Emmett Jones, current WR's coach at Kansas, was at TTech for 3 years with Kingsbury as WR's coach, coached HS ball down in Dallas for 14 years.

Advertisement
0885144b230c70933cb46f0e84e1c651.200x153x42.gif

Advertisement
Would very much prefer a WR coach with legit Air Raid experience over one from the Briles spread where they run go routes, bubbles and RPO slants and have decoy/resting WRs on a lot of plays.

I know it's a newsflash to a lot of porsters but we're not running the Briles spread, all spread offenses are not the same and WRs need to have technical skill for Lashlee's offense. Also the ACC is not the late 2000s Big 12 so you can't just out athlete everyone with vertical isolation routes.
Could not agree more.
Count me as the rare fan who wants a WR coach who can do more than just recruit. Huge route tree with tons of option routes in this new offense. These guys are going to have their work cut out for them in spring.

Darrell Wyatt at UCF should still be in consideration, he absolutely knows the Air Raid & can recruit both Texas & Florida.

Also another good candidate is Emmett Jones, current WR's coach at Kansas, was at TTech for 3 years with Kingsbury as WR's coach, coached HS ball down in Dallas for 14 years.
What about Troy Walters?

Advertisement
Back